Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Why is everything Corvette so expen$ive??

njlouc

Corvette
2000 Black Coupe
It's a question that most vette owners will eventually ask.
Why does a $2 T-shirt with a Vette logo cost $30?
Why does a metal exhaust outside trim plate cost hundreds?
Or an emblem cost $60?
and on on on !!

I know it's because it's an exclusive car etc. Blah.Blah.

Is there a place to get reasonable priced products? also it would be great to find a GM cross reference list, so that you dont pay corvette prices for Malibu parts.

Same reason a new corvette cost over three times what a new malibu cost. That's why I don't have one....lol.

Went to the parts store today to get a light bulb for my daughters van...he told me $6.22 for the package of two........then he said "Are these for your Corvette? If they are, they are $12.44. HaHaHaHa" He quite humorous, but in reality, he's not far from the truth......

Yea, it's the Corvette tax.

It's a question that most vette owners will eventually ask.
Why does a $2 T-shirt with a Vette logo cost $30?
Why does a metal exhaust outside trim plate cost hundreds?
Or an emblem cost $60?
and on on on !!

I know it's because it's an exclusive car etc. Blah.Blah.

Is there a place to get reasonable priced products? also it would be great to find a GM cross reference list, so that you dont pay corvette prices for Malibu parts.

For the same reason that anything with the words "Harley Davidson" on it also experiences a huge uptick in price: the name itself is a Copyrighted gold mine. They know they have a captive market that's going to pay those increased prices, no matter what.

And they're probably right, too.

:w
-Patrick

Same reason a new corvette cost over three times what a new malibu cost. That's why I don't have one....lol.

At first it sounds humerous, however the Vette is expensive because it has spectacular value in design, engineering, and construction. It has been said that the Vette is sold at a loss. Probably not, but they do put a lot more into the vette than a Malibu. They also justify some expenses as R&D for the rest of the company.
It still doesnt explain the after initial purchase costs. Particularly the non GM after market pricing.
I guess it's what ever the public will bear.

That $2 shirt with the Corvette logo on it won't have an official GM approval on it. What's the word I'm looking for? Copywrite? Trademark? GM works very hard to make sure that all products with the Corvette name and/or Logo has their approval (and their $$$ cut of the profits - which is what the Corvette tax is). ;shrug

parts

I guess they figure if you can afford the car, you can afford their price for the parts. Back in the 80's and early 90's, I worked in the parts dept. at the Buick dealer,Olds dealer, and then the Chevy dealer. Back then there was a 100% mark up on all parts. Most places around here now give everybody the wholesale price.

ive said it before

if you think the vette tax is bad.. you should see the boating tax:ugh even the gas costs more

Boy are you right about the "boat tax!! That's why I'm trying to sell (good luck in todays economy) my boat so that I can afford my "cheaper" Vette!!

Same is true for Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac etc ,etc, etc....

Compared to the stuff they charge my fellow Germans for parts here in Germany for their cars, the GM/AC Delco kit i get is comparatevly easier to swallow. Even with Shipping and Customs on top of that. ;)

By the by: I consider myself an "Official Sponsor of the Finance Dept of the Federal Republic of Germany" :eyerole:L So spend some, it might help and make you happy driving a Great Car ! :thumb

:w
-Stefan

Boy are you right about the "boat tax!! That's why I'm trying to sell (good luck in todays economy) my boat so that I can afford my "cheaper" Vette!!

we would love to sell ours but there is no way we can get out of it what we have invested unfortunately, last season all it was was a floating camper because of the gas prices..... it went on 2 runs.. from the launch to the slip and from the slip to the launch.

corvette tax example
bought my father a leather c6 jacket $450.00
bought my wife a plain black leather jacket $225.00
which one do you think was made better

I can't remember the name, but there is a 'interchange manual' that wreaking yards use to match parts for callers looking for a perticular part. ie: an alternator on a Corvette, might very well be the same one on say a Buick Enclave. I had one a few years ago but sold on the auction site. I restored my 79 almost a frame off but the bills I have are in a folder 1 inche thick ! ;LOL

I can't remember the name, but there is a 'interchange manual' that wreaking yards use to match parts for callers looking for a perticular part. ie: an alternator on a Corvette, might very well be the same one on say a Buick Enclave. I had one a few years ago but sold on the auction site. I restored my 79 almost a frame off but the bills I have are in a folder 1 inche thick ! ;LOL
That would be the Hollander(sp?) Manual.:thumb

It has been said that the Vette is sold at a loss.

Might be nowdays - my local dealership has brand new 2009s, never been driven, for $40,000 (and I bet they'd take less). :chuckle

Corvette Tax

The comments about the boats are right on. Although the Corvette tax is extremely bad, I feel I'm getting raped a little less with the 'Vette than I was with the boat.

It's all about supply and demand and what the market will bear. If we would all stop paying $30 for a t-shirt, or $150 for a small piece of chrome trim, maybe the price would come down.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom