Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wierd Coolant Leak !

C

CAJUN C4

Anyone that guesses this one is really good,

I stopped by a friends house this morning stoped the engine.As I was leaving he said He smelled Anti-Freeze.I opened the hood and on the top of the hood about where the A/C compressor is located was coolant I looked down and the P.S. Rack was a little wet.Now for the clincher.We started it up and no leaks anywhere ran for 5 minutes.No Leaks.So,I went home opened the hood idling and not one drop of green stuff..Took it for a 30 Min. drive came back..No Leaks and the original wetness on the hood had dried up. Like something shot coolant up to the hood then sealed itself.I'm thinking a Pin hole leak in the upper radiator hose???I don't believe theres any stop leak in the system. What Now ????​

Check the throttle body collant hose. It is a small hose that make about a 90 degree turn at the throttle body. The only way I found the leak on my 95 was to rev the engine with the throttle horn. A small stream came out of the bend in that hose when the engine was reved.

A second thought is a pin hole in the radiator tank on that side. I also had to replace the radiator in the 95. It was a small leak also, but collant didn't blow back into the front of the engine.

Good Luck

Brett

Which type of hose clamps do you have? Worm? If so, are they snug? Look for stains were the coolant has baked off.

Anyone that guesses this one is really good,​

I stopped by a friends house this morning stoped the engine.As I was leaving he said He smelled Anti-Freeze.I opened the hood and on the top of the hood about where the A/C compressor is located was coolant I looked down and the P.S. Rack was a little wet.Now for the clincher.We started it up and no leaks anywhere ran for 5 minutes.No Leaks.So,I went home opened the hood idling and not one drop of green stuff..Took it for a 30 Min. drive came back..No Leaks and the original wetness on the hood had dried up. Like something shot coolant up to the hood then sealed itself.I'm thinking a Pin hole leak in the upper radiator hose???I don't believe theres any stop leak in the system. What Now ????​
You'll Find it Soon!!!:D:D:D
My guess is the water pump is about to take a Dump!!:thumb
I my experience they like to mess with your head for a day or two,:L
Then they do the big one about 40 miles from no where in Heavy Traffic!!
:boogie:boogie:boogie

Like Junk said, check the waterpump weep hole carefully for coolant or stains. The lower pulley or drive belts could be flinging the coolant up to the hood.

On my 93 were I saw it was not where it came from with the air movement under the hood while driving it will move liquid far from home.;LOLLike the others have said you probably have a water pump about to go on permanent vacation. If so and if you are any were near the time to replace the plugs and wires this is the time to do. Also take a good look at the wire connector on top of the opti. On mine I do not know if it was the water or just age that had it corroded inside but in any case after all was done the car would not run right and after cleaning it up the car ran great.

Sometime later I had to replace the opti and so with a new opti on the car I washed down the engine. The car would start but it backfired and stalled etc. so I thought well stupid you just fried the new opti. All of the mechanics I talked to about this said right away that the opti was shot even though they had not seen the car. Again that little connector had gotten water on it and the water had gone down the wires to the inside of the connector. All this to say if it is the water pump check out the connectors around it for corrosion. :thumb

Like Junk said, check the waterpump weep hole carefully for coolant or stains. The lower pulley or drive belts could be flinging the coolant up to the hood.

That was it Guys...Belt slinging Coolant up to hood. Changed Pump..Viola !

Dry as a Popcorn Fart.

Thanx Guys

That was it Guys...Belt slinging Coolant up to hood. Changed Pump..Viola !

Dry as a Popcorn Fart.

Thanx Guys

Wow that must be dry, popcorn farts are really dry:booty

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom