Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Will Hooker headers work on ZZ4 engine (angle heads)?

checked the part numbers for the gaskets. on the supercompetition sidemount, there's a size for sb and one for bb.
for the supercompetition "streetrodder" sidemount theres a different gasket all together. i have the first version and they are as the note says, they will NOT fit angled heads. with the "street rodder" being only offered in chrome i would take that it was specially designed for the application of mod'd heads such as ZZ4.
Chime if you can confirm if this is true or not.

I'm 99% sure that I have Hooker headers on my ZZ4. I'll do my best to remember to go out and take a pic for you tonight. (I'm pulling a 12hr solo shift at work today...yea!!! :()

Evolution1980 said:
I'm 99% sure that I have Hooker headers on my ZZ4. I'll do my best to remember to go out and take a pic for you tonight. (I'm pulling a 12hr solor shift at work today...yea!!! :()

thanks guys, inching closer towards the dream!

does anyone know if these "street rodder" model headers are designed to fit angled heads?
this would be the only option i can think of that might fit.
the first set of headers don't fit angled heads or angled plug heads.

I need to ask you guy's that have posted here have any of you got sidepipes?
I've asked before because I'd love to put'em on my FastBurn too.

I'm only asking because I'm under the impression that the sidepipe header is different than the normal under car Hooker header.

Rick

I just took pics of the Hooker headers on my ZZ4 this morning. So there ya go...

Confirmed: (a specific pair of) Hooker headers will work on the ZZ4 engine.

...at least in an 80 vette...

RalleyRed said:
I need to ask you guy's that have posted here have any of you got sidepipes?
I've asked before because I'd love to put'em on my FastBurn too.

I'm only asking because I'm under the impression that the sidepipe header is different than the normal under car Hooker header.

Rick

sidepipe headers are different. i don't know about the differences in performance, though.
Hooker calls them sidemount headers. i have a pair on my '77.
if you are considering getting them, i recommend you do it. some guys don't because they consisder the performance of under the car plenty and the trouble of mounting sidepipes not worth it.
i chose the sidepipes for the look and sound. there's nothing like pulling up next to a pony and having them rev their engines. only to be drowned out by ur Hookers at idle.

under the hood they are made specific. Evo just proved that he has a pair on angled ZZ4 heads. i don't have a picture, but i can verify that mine mount to straight-out heads only. mounting mine to angled heads would turn the headers angled down resulting in them not fitting to the pipes that mount behind the rocker panels.
so search Hooker's website for the perfect pair for you.

Evolution1980 said:
I'm 99% sure that I have Hooker headers on my ZZ4. I'll do my best to remember to go out and take a pic for you tonight. (I'm pulling a 12hr solo shift at work today...yea!!! :()

okay, let me know

i've found a couple of other cars (not corvettes) that have a ZZ4 engine with hooker headers.....

:( i hope it works! i'd rather go with the ZZ4 than the fast burn anyways, more torque and cheaper!!

Frantic,

Clear something up for me, didn't you want to know if Hooker SIDEPIPES would fit, or did you want to know about Hooker headers. There is a difference.

I only brought up the FastBurn because thats what I've got, I wasn't trying to tell you to buy one. The ZZ4 is a fine motor.

Rick

RalleyRed said:
Frantic,

Clear something up for me, didn't you want to know if Hooker SIDEPIPES would fit, or did you want to know about Hooker headers. There is a difference.

I only brought up the FastBurn because thats what I've got, I wasn't trying to tell you to buy one. The ZZ4 is a fine motor.

Rick

didnt mean any confusion Ralley, (Frantic :L)

From my understanding, if you have hooker headers (either sidemount or street-rodder) then Hooker sidepipes will automatically fit. So i wanted to know if hooker headers (sidemount) would fit on the ZZ4 engine (like the topic title) because I've stumbled on 2 or 3 websites with people that say they've installed it....but i want to hear from vette owners.

Also, Im wondering if the Hooker street rodder ones would work on the ZZ4 heads (their website is vague)?

I'm pretty sure hooker headers would work with the Fastburn engine because it doesnt have angled heads.

Actually the FastBurn does have angle plug heads.

I've been trying to find out for sure whether I can use sidepipes since buying my motor.

I'm planning on going to carlise next weekend and I will try to find someone that has angle plug heads and sidepipes.

Rick

Pics for ya

Here are the pics of the Hooker headers on the ZZ4, as well as the straight back exhaust

Driver Side (There is slightly less than an inch between header and Power Steering box)
Header+Driver+1.jpg

Passenger Side
Header+Passenger+1.jpg

Passenger Side, Collector
Header+Passenger+Collector.jpg

Passenger Side, straight back
Passenger+Exhaust+Length.jpg

Passenger Side, bend to Cherry Bombs
Passenger+Exhasust+Rear+Bend.jpg

As always...All my pics (full size) are up at http://photos.yahoo.com/thethingsido

as always
ur vette is BEAUTIFUL!:_rock
but wasn't highly askin' about hooker sidepipes?
either way. absolutely beautiful man.

sam

evo, you could get sidepipes attached if you wanted right?

Highly Fanatic
Yes, I could have gotten sidepipes. There were four reasons why I didn't.

1) I know myself. I watch how I am when I get out of the car. I almost always have my leg against the sill. I would have always been burning my legs getting in and out

2) Most importantly...I would have lost some power going to sidepipes. In essence, not enough backpressure causes a certain loss of power.

3) The car already sits so low, it's difficult to jack up on all but the flattest surface. With sidepipes I would have had like 4" clearance off the road. Not enough to get most jacks under.

4) $1100 (for Hooker chrome) -vs- couple hundred for straighback. Hmmm...less money, more power. Seems logical now. Although I try to keep them even, I still abide by Function over Fashion.

In the end, I'm very happy with my current exhaust setup. It works great, it looks good (the cherry bombs and exhaust tips), and it sounds like a mo-fo...[one of our buddies around here has the sounds clips & some vids on his site. Do a search for 'sound clips' to find the thread if interested]

1Down6ToGo
Thanks for compliments. It's been a work-in-progress for the pasts 7-8 years. But then again, one is never done working on their vette.

Re: Pics for ya

evo, did u run into any trouble installing those headers (ex. didnt fit, needed an adapter, etc etc.) onto the heads of that engine?

cuz ur ZZ4 should have angle heads!? stupid hooker site is incorrect

No problem putting the Hookers in the vette... (hahahah...)

Originally, I had bought Hedman headers, as my mechanic felt that Hedman headers were a little better quality, but they didn't seem to sinch up to the heads correctly. So rather than drive back to Summit Racing (45 minutes), swap them, drive back and still have it not fit right, we ended up buying the Hooker headers.

The Hookers are tight, but they fit and do thier job, so I think I still got my money's worth! :L :L :L (yes, pun intended).

Probably the only thing I'd go back and do differently is maybe get the powder coated ones for longevity and presentability reasons. Hightemp paint only lasts so long...

If you want, I'll hunt down the exact part number. I'll just have to have my mechanic go through my Summit receipts and see what the p/n & cost was (at the time).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom