Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Windshield Wipers on '79

JJS

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
A friend of mine at work has a '79 coupe and he told me he's having problems with replacement windshield wipers. He told me the drivers side wiper hits his hood. He also said he buys the wipers according to the books/specs they have in the auto shops so he's sure he's buying the correct wipers.

Has anyone else out there had this issue? He told me the wipers that came with the car fit fine, but not the replacements.

I told him he might want to order from Ecklers or Mid-America, but I told him I'd ask in here first, to see if anyone else has encountered this problem.

I've only seen pictures of the car, I haven't seen it in person.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-John

I have aanco blades on my 79 and have no issues with them hitting the hood.

JJS, I have the same issue but with the passenger blade hitting the hood. It appears to be the top retangular piece that keeps one end of the blade from bowing up. I have not had time to troubleshoot this issue yet. I will try to adjust tonight. If all else fails I think I will just cut this piece off. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, so far no luck. I have both wipers now that hit the hood. Modifying and adjusting has not helperd. Not really sure how to resolve this issue. I will continue again tomorrow.

Ecklers has wiper arms for $139 a pair and blades that are reproduction of originals that look different from what I have. They appear to sit lower. Anyone have any information on this???

took a look at mine this past weekend and it has atleast 1/2-3/4" clearance between the blade and hood. the blade and the arm are flush to each other.

Ecklers has wiper arms for $139 a pair and blades that are reproduction of originals that look different from what I have. They appear to sit lower. Anyone have any information on this???

wiperblade.jpg

Are you using these, or have you changed to something different? These are stock replacements from Corvette Central. A pair of these will clear the hood.

:)

wiperblade.jpg

Are you using these, or have you changed to something different? These are stock replacements from Corvette Central. A pair of these will clear the hood.

:)

Mike, I am using ANCO blades. The arms are new and not sure if they are wrong or not.

Yep, I have the wrong wiper arms and blades. An order has been placed. Thanks.

Blades.

The "Anco" blades are 1 & 1/8 inches high and they clear the hood, the other brands are too high from glass to top and thats why they hit. Just go to a auto parts store that sell ANCO. I'll guess the arms are fine but your spending your friends money, so order it all. Pete.

Mikes wiper blade picture shows exactly what should be installed. I looked at a 78 and 79 yesterday to verify. I was using a set of modern anco blades that I am sure was purchased from AutoZone and they did not work for me. Already ordered a pair of blades and arms for a 79. I'll let you know how it turns out.

TRICO brand not ANCO.

Hi again, I found my original wiper blades today, in a Trico brand box,
Trico blade # 16-2
Refill # 43-160. The old blades do say ANCO on them but I bought Trico because they are low and don't hit the hood. Hope this helps, Pete.

I got the new wiper arms on. No difference. They were almost identical. New blades should be in today or tomorrow. Hope they help. Keep you posted.

New wiper blades made the difference. They clear the hood fine now. Like Pete mentioned they are Trico.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom