Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wipers That Dont Wipe

A

Arcangel224

Wow this is a problem purely because it's an imperfection on my baby..lol..it's not an emergency. My windshield wipers stopped working recently. I checked the fuse and it was alright, so I replaced the switch. That didnt help, so I replaced the motor. Still nothing. I cant even hear the motor running, but there is power going into the switch. I dont drive my Baby in the rain anyways, but yet & still I hate having something wrong. Anyone have some idea of somthing I overlooked?

Thanks,
P.S. My windows are treated so rain doesn't stick anyways, but a good down pour would leave me feeling like Stevie Wonder reading a road map to Ray Charles who's telling Roy Orbison which way to turn....lol

Thanks, I'm gonna try that out. Considering the roads around here, last thing I expected was bad ground in my garage and in my baby. I'll hook up the ole tester and check into things. THANK YOU!

Wipers that don't wipe

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that you probably don't live in Oregon! For two reasons:
1. If you didn't drive your "baby" in the rain you wouldn't drive it.
2. If you were in Oregon you wouldn't be writing to a Corvette forum to get your wipers fixed, you'd be at a shop yelling at them for the same reason stated above. (it's always raining!)

Seriously though, I have had that happen when the wiper switch connector dropped off inside the door. I guess this could happen if you are on bad roads. Mine happened because I was careless putting the door panel back on. But it had the same results and I noticed that it could be a problem in the future so I made note to remember to check it if the wipers ever stopped.

Good luck with it..............

Well I have located the frayed culprit. I have donned my electrical surgical gear and entered the operating garage. After 3 long grueling minutes I snipped away the cancerous wire and replaced it with a healthy specimen. FULLY OPERATIONAL AGAIN. Thanks to all who helped. You guys & gals are great.

Arcangel224 said:
Well I have located the frayed culprit. I have donned my electrical surgical gear and entered the operating garage. After 3 long grueling minutes I snipped away the cancerous wire and replaced it with a healthy specimen. FULLY OPERATIONAL AGAIN. Thanks to all who helped. You guys & gals are great.

Which wire/wires was/were bad?

The ground going from the switch to the motor. A little clip, a little snip and BINGO..we have Wipers again..rofl..Now I'm just hoping the air conditioning does not come on when I put a cd in the stereo..rofl. Woooooooooooooo Gotta love it! :)

Have you determined what fried the ground in the first place? Do you still have the old motor? If you can not figure that one out and correct it, it is sure to happen again, unless the frying was caused by a frozen up commutator in that old motor you disgarded.

Ted

I turned the old motor in for a core c harge, the last person that had it had done a Ghetto rig job on a speakerbox which used to be in the back. It was sort of of a a Hari-Kari wiring job. I had all the "Do-it-yourself stereo wires removed. The original Bose system sounds great with the cd player. I'm more into quality sound than shaking my bowels..rofl. I turned the other motor in for a core charge.

That is funny. So some rocket scientist installed the stereo and thought using the ground for the windshield wipers was a superior source of groundage????

I hope that is all they spliced into!

Sure is a good thing you were able to track that down.

Well I'm not exactly a "Ben Casey" of electrical wiring, but I lucked out. I have a friend that works at Raytheon, he pulled all the "Home-Grown wiring for me. I figure if he can keep million dollar aircraft in the sky, he couldn't do any more damage then the clown or clowness that put it all in there in the first place...lol...I figure with the scrap copper I could trade it all in and fill the tank. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom