Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Woohoo I Finally Got One!

F

FrogindaBlender

After what seemed like an eternity, and only after my 40th birthday, I can finally call myself a vette owner. I have had dull car after dull car and something was always against me (insurance, cheap nature, money, wife, kids, parents (I know sounds like a psychosis)). Finally the flood gates open and after going through all the information and websites, (Thank you zr1.net, cac.com) I pulled the trigger on a Red 91 ZR-1 down in Texas. I willl be picking it up at the end of the month. Now I can't sleep at night, I can't concentrate at work, I worry I'll drop dead before I get in the car. Somebody get me a shrink!

Enough!!

The reason for my thread is I'm going to drive the car back to CA and I want some advice. I don't want to get the paint chipped to bad on the front of the car driving back so what are the options? A black bra looks silly (they belong on wifes and mistresses anyway), celophane?? or more wax?? or what?

When it comes right down to it, look at it this way...

Bras may look funny on your car, but a beat up, bug-dotted, paint-chipped bumper looks even funnier!

Anyways, it's just for the drive. And most people will only be seeing the back of your car during the drive anyways!

There's a thread here about bras... http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11352

I think they look terrible on C3's, but I bought one anyways for the drive down to BG for SharkFest. Once I get there it comes off. The morning I set to drive back, I'll put it back on. Once I get home, off it comes again!

Frog..... OUTSTANDING first purchase. Nothing like going for the gold when you really want something bad. A ZR-1. That's doing it with style. Enjoy your new treasure and learn all about her first. That's one heck of a machine you have there and as you'll soon see from the other ZR-1 folks, will require some special handling. Other than that, can't wait for the pics.

Congrats............. Nut

Thanks guys! the cleartastic stuff is for the rocker panels thats cool but not for the nose, eh. guess I'll look for the bra. maybe they have a nice white lace :eyerole

I love sarcasm. Like the questions my wife asked:

Is this car fast?
Whats a six speed, can't I put it in drive and go?
But does it have to be so red?
Will this car make you happy?
What are all this pipes and wires under there?
Why does the car have two keys, is it stolen alot?
No Trunk?

And my favorite!
When are you going to show me how to drive a stick?

Go froggie, go

:w Good on ya, pal. Sounds like you have a challenge getting the wife aboard. Just wait until the checkbook gets hauled out again and again for upgrades!

My '84 did me a favor by breaking down early on for my wife. While a good driver, (holds a 1st place autocross trophy in our old '63 splitter) she likes a simple car that you gas-and-go. After that, it was ALL mine :_rock

There are better cars to learn stick shifting than a Vette. I found that out with my son. It deals with fondness of the vehicle on our side and (loud) communication issues. :bash Maybe rent one, but try to get her enthused about the fun of driving. It'll help the marriage. Check out the local clubs for activites that you both like. They run the gamut, from shows to racing to charity events. If she's as little of a car nut as mine, it may help a lot!

Cruises along the coast or through the mountains with the top off are good starts. Cruise to Julian or someplace she likes, while not scaring the stuffing out of her. Most women aren't impressed with our driving prowess, demonstrated exuberantly, but to their distress.

Good luck with it and don't forget to wave back!

:w You know it. Mine is a Benz :puke type of gal, so she is not the easiest with this car choice but her patience with me is just another reason i love her. Besides she had her 450SL for a while and got tired of it (plus the cost of up keep was phenomenal). This car is mainly a weekender but it seems I have to do a lot of demos to the friends and co workers initially.

I have a pickup that will serve quite nicely for stick shift training. :L :L :L :L :L

Welcome aboard! My last ride was a BMW 850ci which my wife atarted to drive around in. She still complains that I got rid of the car. Great car but slow and boring. 4 years without a ZR-1 was pure hell. I finally got my mojo back in 2000.:J

Congrats on the purchase! But be careful what you wish for when it comes to the wife and the vette. My wife has always loved fun performance cars. She always wants to drive (not a problem all the time) and I may have to get her one of her own. ;)

I think when we first discussed getting the car she was allowing me to get it to appease me somewhat as she had never driven a Corvette. The first day I got it she was hooked. Had to drive it home, then stop at a friends house to take them for a ride, them another of her friends stopped over to get a ride and then she took her mom. I had an awful time getting the thing in the garage for the night. :L

Anyway, enjoy the car. You've made a good choice with the ZR-1.

I was talking to Tim Burke of Burke Corvette in Orlando, Florida. He is currently converting a ZR-1 to a convertible. I wonder how the topless will react to 380 lb. ft.:confused

Thanks Gorgon & vetteholic.

I read on the ZR1.net site that they tried but they had problems with the windshield or something.

Converts look good but chassis will twist like a pretzels. besides I don't want wifey to get attached. how am I going to have fun with her in the car :eek

Good score, remember to always turn the power key on, helps keep the secondary injectors cleaned up when you stand on it. Don't worry about fuel mileage, believe me it goes up when the wifes onboard. Good luck and enjoy the Z. 84 CF 91 ZR-1 Red/Saddle #2039

Congrats,

You went straight for the King!:D

But why wait until the end of the month? I say you get your @$$ down there and pick that car up now!:L

Awesome!!:_rock :_rock

Congrats Frog! I drove mine from FL to IL last fall and plan on doing it again this Sept. No problems with bugs here. The only thing I do is put a nice coat of polish on him and take off. Every time I fill up with gas I always remove anything off the front front bumper. You shouldn't have any problems. The only problem you might run into is the permanent grin that becomes attached to your face after driving a ZR-1 on the highway:D

Jay

thanks guys

I got even better news today. The wife has decided to take a plane home instead of the roadtrip. YES!! Little side trips are now being planned. So the trip will be a little longer, I don't mind.
I just need to stay calm and not explode before I get there to claim the golden goose.

Congrats on the ZR-1 purchase,Frog. You're gonna love it!
Hope to see you in the Registry soon,too.

Its time! Finally! I can't wait for the plane to take offf! I just hope that every thing will go smooth. The ol' ball and chain (Just kidding!) is coming too and because the trip is tied to family get-together, I will probably be a nuisance to all involved. I just hope I will be able to hold the calm til then. :blow I just don't know.

BTW anybody have the approxamite miles on a tank of gas? Sitting on the side of the road in a vette is not cool. :duh

The time approaches, tick, tick, tick, I can't take it! :cry

Thanks for all you consolations, I yak at ya when I get back

You should be able to get 300 miles out of a full tank of gas to be on the safe side.

Were you kidding about the ol' ball and chain or were you kidding about the ol' ball and chain tagging along?:L

300? lol. It's possible...but he'll test that mofo out :upthumbs

All in fun, light 'em up man!!!! Enjoy the car, keep it rubber side up, and avoid the 'blue light special'

Btw, Welcome to CAC! This is by far the best Corvette site around...you'll find yourself just lookin up stuff in the portal area, or checkin out the gallery @ all times of the day. All kinds of great info around here, and the people are the greatest. They've setup a killer site for current and hopefull corvette enthusiests/owners alike. Enjoy the King Of The Hill!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom