Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Your first car

1979 Chevy Monza. Blue on Blue, 3.2 liter Buick motor. My dad bought it off a Navy buddy of his for $200 with holes in two of the pistons. He thought it would be a good father and son project and teach me some mechanics at the same time. Sold it after driving it a year for $725.00 and the kid who bought it totaled it 3 days later.

a 1964 chevelle malibu 283, 327 heads.hooker headers borg-warner t-10
4speed. 3;73 gears. what a car.
billy-zl5:thumb

My first HotRod was a '56 Ford Coupe.Auto with the 292 CI engine.I put in a 586 gear for fun.It was DEADLY from stop-light to stop-light.

\db2
Carolina

1948 Ford Coupe that I won in a used car dealer raffle at the ripe age of 17. It had a 6 cylinder that later was replaced with a V8.

does legal = "official" ??

These cars came in very rapid order soooooooo ... and does "legal" count as far as official ... :chuckle

#1 was a 51/49 Ford Vickie with an auto trans and a 239 flattie that a buddy and I bought from a guy at the Salvation Army for $25 .... the plates came from the same junkyard we stripped all of the 49 parts from. My parents didn't have a clue till the local police in the next town where I was hiding the car ....

#2 was a 61 Corvair that the local Chevy dealer "sold" me but "Welshed" out on the deal after two days and would not give me the title. Two days doesn't really count I guess.

#3 was like the "62" of Ruby .... ;) ..... I'll be polite and not refer to it as the POS that it was but as a 17 year old boy dirving a 61 Pontiac Tempest with "half of a 389", 4 door with that tiny innnnnsy bittsy little lever for an auto trans ... I guess it beat walking? The good news was that the heater core and the timing chain went in the first month so dad .... who knew nothing about cars .... let me finally pick out my own.

what I consider my first baby .. true love
:Twist

63' Corvair Spyder ragtop, that within a few months had stuff like (about), a 200 hp Bill Thomas turbo, real wire wheels and genuine P-Rally tires. It was black with a white top and red interior .... and I still miss my little Porsche and Triumph killer. I paid half and dad paid half. Gawd, I really miss that car.

:cry

I think I'm the only one on this thread with a VW Bug for a first car. 1959 with an oval rear window. This was in about 1967 and the bug was already starting to rust over from the tropical weather in the Philippines. Engine was 1100cc if I remember correctly with probably 35hp. Changed out the tailpipes for wider pipes without the baffles - had a nice sound to it. I was supposed to share it with my older sister. Fortunately on most occasions her boyfriend drove her around. Got rear-ended one time which popped off one of the valve covers. Never noticed it and a few days later the engine froze from lack of oil. I couldn't believe I was even able to drive it those few days w/o any oil.

napacruzerC5 ... :cool

Sitting here next to the keyboard I'm playing around with ... a ... keychain/fob I've been trying to fix, from a 1952 Volkswagen "Kafer" ... an oval but "split window" version. In my chain of cars ..... #5 .. right after my "Vair" was a powder blue 59' Volks with the tiny oval window.

The fob was a commemorative piece handed out by a supplier to VW. I can't fix it so it'll have to go to a jeweler for a silver solder job ...

My 59' beetle was a military classic "po boy" car ... no wipers; the passenger had to wield a clothes line through the vent windows, no clutch to speak of and the gas tank leaked and ... I survived somehow, despite myself.

Mine was a 51 Chevy Deluxe rag top, and it truly was. 235 6cyl, 3spd with a Hurst shifter, and 4.10 posi. I filled it with bondo and painted with brown primer. It was known at school as the brown biscuit. Took my driver test, complete with hand signals.

Mark

Yes it was and $5.00 worth of gas wouldn't fit in the tank. The service station attendant (remember them) would pump my gas, check the oil and the air pressure in the tires, clean the windshield and give me tea glasses or steak knives if I bought 8 gallons or more. Not really the "good ole days but certainly the "old days".;)
LOL, Jersey still has attendants. I try and pump myself when I'm in Jersey just to prevent any spillage on paint:thumb:thumb

Brush Green 68 SS Camaro, 350, 4 speed. Traded it for a 69 Orange Judge....do I still have them...NO....stupid man :hb

VERY first was a '47 Plymouth 4 door.. Quickly after that a '62 galaxie 390 4 spd
CHarlie

Ok gang here is another winter thread to entertain us all while we wait for the spring driving weather.

What was your first car and what did it have in it?

Mine was a 1962 Pontiac Tempest convertible, white top, light blue ext. light blue int., 4 cylinder, automatic with shifter on the dash, transmission in the rear and trans fluid dipstick in the trunk, flexible drive shaft from the engine to the tranny, 15 inch wheels, power steering.

All this and a Delco AM one speaker radio, wow. :boogie

My father bought that car for me in 1965 at $600 with 27,000 miles on it
while I was a sophomore in college. It never let me down and started up every time I needed it to; all but once that is and that's when it got down to 16 degrees below zero one January night in the foothills of Kentucky so I walked 4 miles to get to classes that day. That was my fault since I was stretching dollars and pushed the battery a little too far before replacing it.

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill

Mine was a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix Model 'SJ'. Dark Green with Balck Vinyl top, green leather buckets, power EVERYTHING. Also had AM radio with one speaker in front and one in rear....for that stereo sound.... never figured that out since it was otherwise loaded to the hilt (why no FM or eight track). I had installed a eight (8) track just behind console facing roof of car..... Even leveled itself. Had a 428 ci motor with rochester 4bbl carb that would 'smoke' the tires, three speed (auto) tranny and posi-trac rear. First car I could call my own. Sure wish I could find one today. Before I bought my first Vette, I looked for one....no luck.....this car was a special one....usually they have 400 ci underhood. Anyway....cool memories....tim ;)

You fellas make me feel old .Not many cars around but I got a Mule when I graduated .His name was buckie and he'd go all day on a gallon of oats :blue:

81' Trans Am, Black, red interior, t-tops, 4.9L 301, 3 speed, power everything. I planned on keeping it forever also problem was I went to college and the car sat un-driven for 4-5 years. By the time I got back to it the car was leaking from everywhere and didnt run for crap. In fact I just sold the car not 2 years ago. I loved the car and had tons of memories in it but I just didn't have the desire to put the time or money into it. It went to a good home though.

1964 Ford Galaxy 500 XL
A true hardtop...........no center beam.

White, with blue leather interior.
Automatic, with a beautiful center console.

Bought it from a buddy after winning the money the night before in an all-night poker game.

Kind of wish I still had that car :cool

Dennis :beer

1969 VW Squareback. Pretty sophisticated for a VW back then, front disk brakes, fuel injected 1600cc, even had a crank open sunroof. Had it for about a year in 1974/75.

Nick

My first car was a 1956 Chevy, 2 dr, hdtp. White w/ silver. 265 ci with the oil bath air filter. All stock right down to the radio tubes behind the passenger side grill.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom