Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 Dreaming

theblackvette said:
Can you elaborate more on this slow steering and how it affects the drivability of the Z06? And what would faster steerings do to benefit? Just wondering?

Thanks......

I never thought about the steering other than if it locks up on me! LOL

I know exactly what you mean.

I'll try to keep it short. It's not related to the number of turns lock to lock.

The '84-'89 Z51/Z52 steering gear ratio is 13.3 to 1, and the standard C4/C5/C6 steering ratio is 16.1 to 1. With the standard steering, you have to turn the wheel 20 percent further to effect the same front wheel deflection.

The longer a car's wheelbase, the slower it responds to directional changes. The C4 has a 96.2 inch wheelbase, the C5 is 104.5 inches and the C6 is 105.7 inches. Everything else being the same, a C4 will turn/respond more rapidly to the same steering input than the other two if they all have 16.1 to 1 gears.

The larger the steering wheel, the further you have to move your hands to achieve the same amount of rotation. Consider how far you'd have to move your hands to turn a 14-inch diameter wheel through 90 degrees compared to the same 1/4 rotation of a smaller 12 or 13-inch wheel.

Combine the slower ratio, the long wheelbase and steering wheel, and the result is a car that will turn and respond less quickly than one with quick steer, a short wheelbase, and a small steering wheel. That's one reason the '85-'89's are so popular for autocross and gymkhana, but it also has implications for street use as regards ease of driving and maneuverability.

Large steering wheels are useful for additional leverage on cars without power steering, but they're of little benefit when power steering is present since the boost can simply be increased if necessary. Wheel size often becomes a function of instrument panel design, column angle and leaving a hole large enough to see the gauges through.

It's clear from the posts that those who have owned the '84-'89 Z51 and Z52 cars know exactly what I'm talking about. The feeling is entirely different, and by comparison, a Z06, while 200 pounds lighter than some Z51's/Z52's, feels heavier and less responsive.

To be clear, 1stiff84, the intent was only to make you aware of an issue that might be overlooked in order to avoid unpleasant surprises, not to suggest a viewpoint or preference. Good luck, and try some different dealers.

rwd,

you really should send your resume to GM. you appear you know what you are talking about. thanks for your explanation.

perhaps you can help GM correct the POS front license plate holder they are planning on placing on the C6's. Have you seen it? Maybe you can come up with a better design. they need educated people to work there.

Sat_12.jpg

rwd said:
I know exactly what you mean.

I'll try to keep it short. It's not related to the number of turns lock to lock.

The '84-'89 Z51/Z52 steering gear ratio is 13.3 to 1, and the standard C4/C5/C6 steering ratio is 16.1 to 1. With the standard steering, you have to turn the wheel 20 percent further to effect the same front wheel deflection.

The longer a car's wheelbase, the slower it responds to directional changes. The C4 has a 96.2 inch wheelbase, the C5 is 104.5 inches and the C6 is 105.7 inches. Everything else being the same, a C4 will turn/respond more rapidly to the same steering input than the other two if they all have 16.1 to 1 gears.

Wow BV

You went 0 to 6 that quick..YOUR a race car driver!!!!

SHAZAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Must of been a GOOD 12 pack BV

theblackvette said:
When I went for a test drive the dealer asked if I wanted to test it on the highway. He said drive the car as it was your own.

I took it 0 to 6 in about 5 secs and went on the highway, lets say, I could I have been ticketed.

I drove away in my new car an hour later!
WOW 0 to 6 in 5 secs... that must of been after the 12 pack of Neer Beer.;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Yeah you got me! HAHA i meant 60...

This guy is crazy!!!! I wonder what he sounds like...

Gotta a toll free number?

Tonys Torch said:
You went 0 to 6 that quick..YOUR a race car driver!!!!

SHAZAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Probally sound like a Hillbilly next to your YANKEE ASS....LOL...

Now i've got to go see about going faster than BV. OH after the rain passes by and heads your way. GO away RAIN ......... GO EAST

I would love to hear this pipsqueaks voice!!!!

Gotta toll free number?

Let see how small he really is! Probably has the voice of a little mouse!!!!

:L

Tonys Torch said:
Probally sound like a Hillbilly next to your YANKEE ASS....LOL...

Now i've got to go see about going faster than BV. OH after the rain passes by and heads your way. GO away RAIN ......... GO EAST

Damn Yankee

I'll show you pipsqueak Mrs. BV!! Crush you like a fly NERD! HAHAHA:cool

Now how many miles is on the blackvette?

Looks like you really get to enjoy your car, wish i did:cry

Work way too much and only see her about once every two weeks.

take care snake!!:w

I'm up to 9,500 miles. It is my daily driver.

Tonys Torch said:
I'll show you pipsqueak Mrs. BV!! Crush you like a fly NERD! HAHAHA:cool

Now how many miles is on the blackvette?

Looks like you really get to enjoy your car, wish i did:cry

Work way too much and only see her about once every two weeks.

take care snake!!:w

Great

Thats cool sir, i dont blame you for having it as a daily driver and at 9500 miles its still brand new. Have you had any problems with your car?

I wish i could drive mine more but i need to have my pickup for work and so its my daily driver. Im still around the 1000 mile mark

Also do you plan on taking your car back in when GM does the recall on these babies for the steering wheel lock? I dont believe i will let them touch mine.

take care...have a good day its sunny here.

Tony

No problems other than the wreck.

If there is a recall I will bring it back.

Tonys Torch said:
Thats cool sir, i dont blame you for having it as a daily driver and at 9500 miles its still brand new. Have you had any problems with your car?

I wish i could drive mine more but i need to have my pickup for work and so its my daily driver. Im still around the 1000 mile mark

Also do you plan on taking your car back in when GM does the recall on these babies for the steering wheel lock? I dont believe i will let them touch mine.

take care...have a good day its sunny here.

Tony

Really

So you will take her in so they can drive and put their crudy hands all over that blackvette? I hate to take a car in unless it really needs it, i read about the recall and it sounds like a computer fix or something like that to repair from steering wheel lock.

Think i'll have to pass on that fix and let the next owner deal with it down the road.

Yes, I would. I drive mine daily. I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road one day, getting it towed to the dealer. It is no big deal to get my oil changed and have them fix the lock if it is on recall. It is no charge if it on recall and doing so may save my life or others if it were to lock up while I drive it!

So do you have a toll-free number pipsqueak?

Tonys Torch said:
So you will take her in so they can drive and put their crudy hands all over that blackvette? I hate to take a car in unless it really needs it, i read about the recall and it sounds like a computer fix or something like that to repair from steering wheel lock.

Think i'll have to pass on that fix and let the next owner deal with it down the road.

Good American

What an American!! Taking his car in for recalls!!!!! Aren't we ALL proud of the BV?

No wrecks to this date on lock up of steering wheels, the recall i believe is only going to cut your fuel off if your car locks up. I dont believe it actually is going to fix the lock up problem if i read the Corvette Quarterly correct.

I hope your mom (since BV still lives at home) but i hope your mom lets you get your oil changed this time with Mobil One??? I know you have been running the old oil from Wal-Mart all this time.

Remember it takes close to 7 quarts BV.. I know your use to living in the old days and putting in 5 quarts.

Toll free numbers??? sure i keep an 800 number running for all my ladies!!!:D

Yes, I am proud of myself.

Go ahead and list your 800 number.....

Unless you are chicken? Let's see how big you really are!

I think you are actually a 15 year old who pretends to drive his daddys Z16 in the garage. Probably make zoom zoom sounds while doing so.

Tonys Torch said:
What an American!! Taking his car in for recalls!!!!! Aren't we ALL proud of the BV?

No wrecks to this date on lock up of steering wheels, the recall i believe is only going to cut your fuel off if your car locks up. I dont believe it actually is going to fix the lock up problem if i read the Corvette Quarterly correct.

I hope your mom (since BV still lives at home) but i hope your mom lets you get your oil changed this time with Mobil One??? I know you have been running the old oil from Wal-Mart all this time.

Remember it takes close to 7 quarts BV.. I know your use to living in the old days and putting in 5 quarts.

Toll free numbers??? sure i keep an 800 number running for all my ladies!!!:D

1-800-br549

theblackvette said:
Yes, I am proud of myself.

Go ahead and list your 800 number.....

Unless you are chicken? Let's see how big you really are!

I think you are actually a 15 year old who pretends to drive his daddys Z16 in the garage. Probably make zoom zoom sounds while doing so.
Thanks for saying i LOOK YOUNG Mr. BV... its usually the ladies telling me this, but i must admit BV took one look at his ole buddy Tonys Torch and said i must be under age!:D

I must admit i make zoom zoom noises but it comes from my other end at times.;LOL

Chicken is not bad in pasta either, it all depends what type of chicken?

Did you guys notice BV blocking out his plate now on his car since i NAILED him down on what state he lives in. OHHHH wasn't thinking were we Mr. BV????????? Im tracking you down to break those other digits!!

800 number big guy?

Tonys Torch said:
Thanks for saying i LOOK YOUNG Mr. BV... its usually the ladies telling me this, but i must admit BV took one look at his ole buddy Tonys Torch and said i must be under age!:D

I must admit i make zoom zoom noises but it comes from my other end at times.;LOL

Chicken is not bad in pasta either, it all depends what type of chicken?

Did you guys notice BV blocking out his plate now on his car since i NAILED him down on what state he lives in. OHHHH wasn't thinking were we Mr. BV????????? Im tracking you down to break those other digits!!

BV i would scare you even more on the phone, you would go into hiding and then we all wouldn't have anyone on here to make up polls, to show their pics off and then to PICK ON!

The Beaver is just pickable and his mom says he's a pretty good kid too!:)

Now if he could only get to 5'6" and 136lbs... thats soaking wet people!!

You know that song dont you?

Short people have nobody.. Short people have NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on chicken! You sure do like to get "excited" on msg forums. You make me laugh!

But, when it comes time to face the music, you chicken out.

You would scare nobody by the way.

Tonys Torch said:
BV i would scare you even more on the phone, you would go into hiding and then we all wouldn't have anyone on here to make up polls, to show their pics off and then to PICK ON!

The Beaver is just pickable and his mom says he's a pretty good kid too!:)

Now if he could only get to 5'6" and 136lbs... thats soaking wet people!!

You know that song dont you?

Short people have nobody.. Short people have NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repo your car Mr. BV

I'll come REPO that car Mr. BV!! take your picture taker wagon away to TX.

Add it to my stock of cars/trucks. We drive pickups here unlike YOU YANKEE'S:L

Im ONLY scared or CHICKEN of those UGLY fingers you have.. looks like you could use another smashing:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom