Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR-1 Owners: What Brand of Tires Are You Running?

What Brand of Tires Are You Running?

• BF Goodrich

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Goodyear

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Kumho

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Michelin

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Pirelli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sumitomo

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Hoosier

• Firestone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
What Brand of Tires Are You Running?

For those of you running aftermarket tires on your ZR-1, what brand are you currently using and what made you choose that type of tire?

Tires, Airfilters?

Rob,

Are you starting to do a cost feesability study on sprucing-up the old ZR-1 and then weigh that against the cost of a Z06? I know you were pretty impressed with that 3-minute ride. And I'm sure it crosses your mind frequently.

Regard - Remo

Re: Tires, Airfilters?

Remo said:
Rob,

Are you starting to do a cost feesability study on sprucing-up the old ZR-1 and then weigh that against the cost of a Z06? I know you were pretty impressed with that 3-minute ride. And I'm sure it crosses your mind frequently.

Regard - Remo
:L :L

Not exactly. The big ole red beast is dining on his left front tire. Something is out of alignment. I'm guessing that I lost a wheel weight because the outer edge of the tire is going bald and there is a severe shimmy up between 65-80 mph.

I have to bring it to the dealer and have them look at it, but I'm going to need tires shortly and I'm leaning towards the new Goodyear F1 tires, but I'm curious what other ZR-1 owners are running - especially since the 315s in the rear aren't always easy to come by depending upon the brand or type.

Sumitomo...Price plus the fact that rears seem to wear 2 to 1 over fronts.. may just be my heavy foot :t

Wegone said:
Sumitomo...Price plus the fact that rears seem to wear 2 to 1 over fronts.. may just be my heavy foot :t

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;) ;)

I'm currently running GSC's but I'd eventually like to upgrade to CCW 18in. wheels. When that happens I'll look into the Michelin's

Jay

JT ZR-Won said:
I'm currently running GSC's but I'd eventually like to upgrade to CCW 18in. wheels. When that happens I'll look into the Michelin's

Jay

What do the CCWs look like?

I can't speak from experience with a monster like the LT5 but the Firestone SZ-50 series tire, which I'm pretty sure comes in that size, I think is an excellent tire. It has a very good tread wear and the feel is awesome. Not that you would drive in the rain but these tires were excellent in the summer rain around Charleston, SC on an Eclipse (note much lighter and FWD .... not to mention -230 HP). I plan on getting another set for my 90 L98 in the near future.

As far as the tire wearing on on side ... some times it may be a shock problem, or the camber may be off.

I've got 315 Sumitomos on the rear of my LT1 and man were they cheap! (I think not more than $150 per tire) The look good too and road noise isn't any worse than the GSCs. However, I have yet to make a judgement on traction. I've only had them for about 600 miles and so far they've been pretty slippery...maybe they just need to be broken in a little (if you know what I mean ;)

Goodyear F1 Supercar tire's here. Big improvement over the Mich. Pilot Sport's they replaced. Just ordered another set of F1's for the other car.

I just put the CCW 10.5 X 18 and 12.5 X 18 CCW wheels and michelin pilots on my 93 zr1. wheels look really sharp and were just over 1800 for the set. very nice wheel at a good price.

I shipped the tires to John at CCW and he mounted and balanced them for free. I got the michelins on sale for 862 and they are HUGE but fit very well.

weather has been crappy so I haven't had the car out much but now that the rain has washed the salt and most of the sand off the roads I will be going out soon to really try them out.

FYI,

I have some used pilot MMX 18 tires for sale. about 50% of the tread left and I will sell the set of 4 for $450.

they are the 18" 285/30 and 325/30.

I was going to use these tires but with the killer deal on the new ones I went ahead and splurged!!!

I highly recommend the CCW rims. they really look sharp and are very light/strong. poor mans fikse!!!

cya and merry christmas!!!

I had F1 Supercars on my car until two weeks ago when I stuck a set of F1 GS-D3s on the car for some winter testing.

My first impression of the GS-D3 in the wet came during Southern California's first "El Nino" rain storm week before last. I took the car down to visit Jim Van Dorn 120 miles east in Palm Desert.

The drive back was a god damn monsoon, that's for sure. I ran 80 mph in a driving rain with the GS-D3s for a while, until running 20 mph faster than traffic began to get a little scary. I think 100 mph through moderate rain and some standing water would have been safe with these tires.

I'll have more to say after I try out the tires in another couple of storms.

I've heard that the F1 GS-D3 is what Goodyear calls just their 'Goodyear F1' on their web site. The tire with the big V tread pattern.

Is this true?

- Skant

Rob:

Well, I know that you don't ever drive your car in the rain. That being said, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the BFG KDs. I had a set on my car briefly(they were early versions and the treadwall separated on them) before switching to Michelins and can say that the KDs were much stickier. I could get consistent high 1.9 60ft times with KDs(not that your car will ever see a track;)).

I cannot comment personally on the new Supercar tire but if the Z06s 60ft performance is even a small indication of the tires dry grip, they are incredible tires! The Supercar tires are ridiculously expensive from what I've heard(400 for a 315 rear?). THen again, my Daddy always told me there are two things you don't go cheap on a car: 1)the brakes and 2) the tires.

335 Kuhmos on 12" BBS

Searching for replacement 335's there are not much on the market....talked to a few tire dealers and they recommended the Kuhmos for grip...at least for the 1/4....but I found I still needed slicks....yeah...yeah...I know.....a WHAT make of tire on a ZR-1....but they look good...especially with the BBS rims...

You want street tires or race tires? Quite a few manufacturers offer 335/35/17's in street compounds.

The Sumitomo fit my budget and it seems to hold all the power on the ground. The tires are semi eliptical tread patch as they don't sit as flat as Goodyears and such. Like a superbike per se. I drive my ZR1 almost daily and it handles great. BTW Mine were on the car with an alignment for under 900. Compare that to almost 1600 for goodyears. That extra will go to a nice exhaust or NOs or you get my point.

USA ZR1 said:
You want street tires or race tires? Quite a few manufacturers offer 335/35/17's in street compounds.

Clint,

Good question. I don't normally drive the car in the rain so wet weather traction isn't high up on my priority list, however, there have been occassions when I've gotten caught in downpours and thunderstorms (last year was a prominent example). So, I guess I'm looking for something that is more high performance, with less emphasis on wet-weather traction.

just stepped up to the 18 CCW rims and the mich "viper tires"

great deal 1860 rims, 860 tires. the rims are very light and the tires are HUGE. the michelins are a very good all around tire but too expensive in the past.

I have a spare set of the 18" MXX Michelins if anyone needs them. I had bought them a while back, but decided to step up to brand new tires. they are in good shape and I need to get ride of them. fronts have 7/32, rears 5/32

make me an offer if interested. cya.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom