Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 with metal bumpers why 69 and 70

c3stingray

Ive been searching for an early C3 with the metal bumpers, and the prices for the 1969 and 1970 have been the highest. I've seen some good deals for the 1973's and really good ones for the 1974's. I'm really looking for the metal bumpers so getting one of those would be compromise.

The 69's look alot like the 68's and the 70's look like the 71 and 72. So why the price difference?

Also what's kooky is the prices start to drop for 1971's, then sharpley drops for the 1972. What gives? Why the demand for the 69 and 70? Am I missing something? Were there problems with the 1968, 1971, 1972 corvettes?

Confused.

...Why the demand for the 69 and 70? Am I missing something? Were there problems with the 1968, 1971, 1972 corvettes?...

Perception of the buyer. The '69 model year was the longest in C3 history, while the '70 model year was the shortest. Some folks feel the '69s were an improvement over the '68s and the '70 models were the last of the breed before federal emissions standards began to affect horsepower. There is a bit of truth to this, but not all that much.

You are likely to find more '69s on the market than other model years only because there were more of them made and you will find more coupes than convertibles. The opposite is true for the '70 models -- less of them.

A good deal depends upon what a potential buyer wants. Most folks have a favorite model year and tend to want their favorite.

:)

68's were the first year for the Shark C3 body style. There were numerous changes during the build so for someone who is doing a restoration to stock there are many one year only, or part of the year parts that are impossible to find and costly if you do. Also the 68 was plagued with some quality control problems but that should not be an issue today some 40 years later. I would think they would all be resolved by now. But then again perception becomes reality making that year less desireable to some.

Because of a strike in late 69 the 69 model run was the longest and the 70 was the shortest. In 70 they only produced about 17,000 cars the smallest Corvette production since the late 50's I believe.

Polution regulation controls started to take their toll in 71 and increased again in 72. The result was reduced HP ratings and increased smog controls choking the engines. Therefore the most desirable chrome bumper Stingrays are the 69 and 70 model years. The laws of supply and demand then kick in. The most desireable = the most expensive.

If you dont care about matching numbers or if you are going to put in your own motor,it will make no difference if you get a 70,71,or72.They are (almost) identical cars anyway.

That's right. I don't care about matching the numbers and the horsepower rating is not very important either. I'll look for a 71 or 72 since those appear to be more affordable. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

:upthumbs happy hunting on your c3:D send in some pics when you get that dream ride:beer

Perhaps the demand for 72s is driven by the fact that they are the last of the chrome bumper Corvettes. Very little difference technically between 70, 71, and 72.

Along with what has been said above, the earlier years you were looking at may have been more because of their engine package. A 427ci L71 '69 is going to be substantially more than a base 300hp 350ci base engine.

Since you aren't concerned about stock originality, I'd definitely go with the one that best affords your budget, with a slight inclination to the later years if only due to engineering changes that may have taken place in any area.

...Since you aren't concerned about stock originality, I'd definitely go with the one that best affords your budget, with a slight inclination to the later years if only due to engineering changes that may have taken place in any area.

Well put!

I agree with Andre- the later C3s have the benefit of some refinement.

Whatever you do, buy the car you want that fits your budget. I was fortunate enough to stumble onto a '69 Fathom Green Convertible a few years back and got it for less than $13K; and although I wasn't a big C3 fan, this one really caught my eye (loved the color scheme and the chrome) and I bought it a few days later. I've become a big early year Shark fan now :) It's far from perfect, but the car draws attention whenever I can get her onto the road, which isn't enough, lol. I wouldn't buy anything because someone else thought it was valuable or rare...just look around and you'll find you car...at your price.

McD

I am also partial to the chrome bumpered C3s. I like the "shark gills" on the 68 and 69 fenders - so I went with the 69. If you don't care about numbers or the advertised power ratings, then get any one of the C3s from 68-72. The 73 also has a unique look with the soft nose in the front and chrome in the back. Good luck!

I think the c3 verts are the sharpest vettes there ever were.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom