Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 Bose Stereo Replacement?

McSnagg

Corvette
1988 Triple Black Convertible Z52 4+3
Does anyone have experience upgrading the Bose head unit in an 88 to a newer style that can play CD's, I-Pod interface, etc?

Can the Bose speakers be utilized with an aftermarket stereo or must the speakers be changed as well?

I don't care for the look of an aftermarket changer in the dash; it just doesn't "fit" the car with the myriad of small buttons, the display, etc. IMO.

I installed a newer GM Delco theftlock CD unit from a 96 Lumina in my 85. It fits perfectly (1.5 DIN), looks right, and the wiring was easily done w/o chopping into the harness. Everything including night dimming and the power antenna works. I have the radio wiring schematic from the 96 if this interests you.

Best of all, it sounds GREAT with Boston Acoustic speakers in the doors and rear hatch. As far as the Bose speakers, I "think" they have to come out. Issue with the factory amps. Hope this is helpful!:w

I replaced mine with a Pioneer DEH-P77DH (You could also use DEH-P47DH) It fits the full opening, you can make the lights match the dash lights (Color). It also has input options for Ipod and changer plus you can run Bose speakers.

However it is my suggestion that you replace the speakers also. My total cost with tax and shipping was $278. This includes speakers, adapters, wiring and other needed mounting.

This pioneer unit is short depth which you need to fit the factory location. This way you do not have to modify anything in the dash.

PS new system rocks as much as the vette!

Does anyone have experience upgrading the Bose head unit in an 88 to a newer style that can play CD's, I-Pod interface, etc?

Can the Bose speakers be utilized with an aftermarket stereo or must the speakers be changed as well?

I gave it much thought, and decided this is one area I will accept not being stock, (I didnt have almost $500+ bucks to devote to replacing this system & the amplifiers).
I purchased a Pioneer radio/changer and the GM adapter. I pulled out the
amplifier boxes from all 4 speaker positions. Used the original wire and made
"tails" to mate up with my new speakers, I made up brackets to install the
speakers, and used the original speaker covers. No wires under the dash were cut, a purist would have no problems converting this back to the original configuration. I have a modern radio & speakers for less than 1/2 the price of replacing the old system. Oh, I did have to make a few "jumpers"
on the antenna relay to get it work, but nothing that couldnt be switched back tomorrow.
Tom

Yeah, from what all I've read. If you put in an aftermarket stereo, you need to replace the speakers. Most advice to also rewire the speakers. That is what I'm doing.

If I run all new speaker wire for my aftermarket HU and speakers in my 89, do I need to unplug the bose relay? I just don't want any live bose wires laying around.

I just did this on my 90.

regardless whether you buy a Din or a double Din, It's the approach you use in the set up.Din will require a Kit to install.

Buy the harness that bypasses the Radio Rec. On mine I wired the harness into the new radio harness extending it where it was long enough to reach from the Rec to the head. My Rec is behind the glove box, don't where it is on a 89.You may need to install the low ohm resistors to keep the SES light from coming on. I had to on the 90. with this set up I didn't have to butcher the original wiring.

lose the Bose speakers. technology has come along way with speakers, besides they are low impedance speakers and don't work well with 4 or 8 ohm systems. Even if you remove the amps there are better options than the Bose.

by all means rewire. The wires on the Bose are light gauge because of the lower ohm speakers.

the only splice I made was to the original wiring harness that pluged into the Bose head unit and that was for the resistors. I didn't even take out the Rec.

I know on 89 and below, you don't have the check engine light problem.

On my 89, there are two plugs that go into the factory HU. They are for the speakers. You can see where the PO hacked into the blue and white plugs. There is another plug that is black, and that is for the antenna, dimmer, ignition, and ground:

CIMG2738.jpg

Those 3 plugs plug into this factory wiring harness:

CIMG2740.jpg

What I'm doing is I'm gonna plug the black plug back up to the wiring harness pictured above. Then I'm going to butt connect my speaker wires to the Alpine wiring harness that goes to the HU.

Do I also need to unplug the bose relay? I'm assuming you guys are calling it the radio rec? I'm thinking it's not doing anything, as I believe the radio sends a signal to it, and with that wire unplugged, the relay isn't doing anything. But I'm not sure, I just don't want any live wires.

And here's a pic of one of the rear bose pods. I'm removing it and using the factory mounting ring for 6x9's:

CIMG2684.jpg

Why did Corvette make it so hard to be able to put any CD/changer/radio in this car?!!

:crazy

If your factory radio still works and has the cassette player, you could just go get one of those cassette to CD adapters that were used with portable cd players in the early 90s. I use one to plug in my ipod to my factory head unit. It works well. :upthumbs

Yeah, from what all I've read. If you put in an aftermarket stereo, you need to replace the speakers. Most advice to also rewire the speakers. That is what I'm doing.

If I run all new speaker wire for my aftermarket HU and speakers in my 89, do I need to unplug the bose relay? I just don't want any live bose wires laying around.

You dont HAVE to replace the Bose Speakers, you just need an interface. Its weird but for a year or so they didnt carry them and now I saw one the other day in a vette catalog.;shrug

You dont HAVE to replace the Bose Speakers, you just need an interface. Its weird but for a year or so they didnt carry them and now I saw one the other day in a vette catalog.;shrug

Well, I've heard of that thing you can plug an aftermarket HU up to for the bose speakers. But have read that the sound wouldn't be as good as it could with aftermarket speakers. Plus the Bose speakers use a common ground.

Anyway, for me it didn't matter as the PO already had an aftermarket HU in with Memphis speakers. But he used the Bose wiring. I don't see how he did it. But I ran new speaker wire.

The speaker wire coming out of the front door bose boxes, I'll probably slip the wire in the door inside that clip that holds the outside mirror wire. Just to make sure it is out of the way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom