Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2003 Dodge Viper

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
According to the link below, the next generation Dodge Viper will be a 2003 model. It's rather ironic that the Corvette will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary that year.
Sure would be nice if the Corvette's 50th Anniversary edition includes a little extra something other than a pretty paint scheme like past Anniversary models in previous years. :)

http://carpoint.msn.com/autoshow2001/default.asp?content=article&param=OEM_Dodge_Viper

I would think it to be an excellent marketing ploy to put in the new, best Viper you can with 500 hp and 500lbs torque to minimize the 50th anniversary of the Corvette in it's last year before model change to the C6. Talk about taking market share away. I hope that Chevrolette makes the talked about 427 ci with all the goodies for the 50th anniversary. And Viper who? Dodge what? Vettes all the way.

50th year vette

427 LS1 nice; buy an aluminum 502(return of the big block vette!! ) would be the best marketing ploy : viper is that the things on the windshield or the dodge I just passed with the guy shakeing hi fist

Rob said:
According to the link below, the next generation Dodge Viper will be a 2003 model. It's rather ironic that the Corvette will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary that year.
Sure would be nice if the Corvette's 50th Anniversary edition includes a little extra something other than a pretty paint scheme like past Anniversary models in previous years. :)

http://carpoint.msn.com/autoshow2001/default.asp?content=article&param=OEM_Dodge_Viper

Too add, it must be purely coincidental that the wheels on the new Viper Roadster look just like Z06 wheels.

Barbie

Ms. Kiss

Ms. Kiss. Not to be aggressive or anything, but you sure sound like my kind of lady. I love your sig. Fantastic plastic, is that the car or the barbie body? Never mind. I need a 7th gear on my 2001 coupe. Will it make it go faster?

Watch out for Ken. Have a great day.:r

Just wait people, the 50th Anniversary Corvette S.E. (special edition) will really blow some wind in your sails. I cant say too much about it right now, you'll have to be patient. :)

Dave

Thanks for the compliments Little Blue Coupe. It's time to move on.

Barbie

GS796 said:
Just wait people, the 50th Anniversary Corvette S.E. (special edition) will really blow some wind in your sails. I cant say too much about it right now, you'll have to be patient. :)

Dave

Dave,

I'm not trying to be mean by saying this but
that "I know something that you don't" claim is a bit cowardess. If you truly know something, then how about sharing along with your sources. and

I was happy to see that VIPER Picture. Since I won't have a vette for the next year and am still angy at chevy for giving us an ugly hard top for true performance, it does now feel good that I may have a nice car to look forward to if Chevy doesn't impress me in 2003. Now I'm a Vette fan by heart but my patience grows tired with Chevy.

Man, I took one look at that VIPER and when I saw it was a true convertible with that kind of performance, I became even more angry towards Chevy.

Whatever they come out with, it doesn't have to be 500-500-500 (sounds like a risky insurance policy) but and she better have more than 405 hp with no top on (sorry ladies). I like my GS300 but I'm not going more than a year without some serious performance - C6 or no C6.

Well, its nice to know that I think I may have something to look forward to. It feels good to be in the driver's seat (no pun intended) for a change. Summer of 2003 is going to be very interesting. You're up Chevy. Dare to keep us true performnce enthusiasts disappointed? - let's see what you got.

• Admin
Mark,

It's time to give it a rest about your feelings towards the Corvette. You've stated them over and over again and it's been well documented in these Forums.

As for who has sources and who should release them to who....that's not up to you to decide or request.

In an email from you to me you state: "In adhering to the old adage "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," I'm looking for an exec contact, corvette exec team, etc to try and clamp down on this issue."

Well, I'm sorry to say, I am not at liberty to divulge any contacts within Chevrolet or Corvette Development. You stated you have written letters to Chevrolet Customer Service. If they have gone unanswered, I don't know what to tell you other than to keep writing. However, let me give you a word of advice: if your letters were written in the same tone that your post was written in the Owner Feedback Forum (which I asked in the announcement posted in there to keep it professional), then I'm not surprised that your letter has gone unanswered by Chevrolet.
Take it for what it's worth.

Now then, with that said, you've joined an online Corvette Community composed of owners and enthusiasts who are partial to the Corvette. Your views and opinions are respected, but if you continue posting them over and over like a broken record, eventually, nobody is going to pay any attention. So....let's move on from here.

Hey Rob,
I dont think Mark is out of line...........He has hit the nail on the head regarding Chevy...........sometimes u have to repetedly hit them over the head MANY times since some people are too thick skulled to get it through their heads.............

As to repetedly posting his opinion................I have no problem with that.......posts tend to get lost (most people only read most recent posts) and thus people do not have ready access to his previous posts/opinions!

Now if he was initiating a new post every day trashing the Vette in general I would tend to agree with u.......But since someone else (u in this case) brought up the subject it seems only fair to let him reiterate his opinon yet again...............and his posts are constructive (except for the attutude over inside info)and who knows maybe it will get through to the people at GM and it will do some good for the Vette!

Example.........Personally, I think Chevy needs alot of help in getting the Vette back on the right track.....they totally messed up the c5 body wise(there is no point in adding "in my opinion" since everyone already knows that) ..and I dont care if people are offended if I dont like their car since its not meant to offend them.....if they take it that way then they are just TOO sensitive...

Personally I try to post a specific valid reason for disliking something and offer a solution as well........sure some opinions are strong because thats the way I feel...I readily admit my own personal standards of taste/aestetics are "better" because thats what I like! I think I do "know better" because of a "discriminating eye" in attempting to break down and improve component parts not just mearly accept things "as they are" as a majority of the Population...I believe Gm called this the "1 percenters" in their add campaign" ...this Mark guy seems to have a similar mindset......and although I dont agree with what he may say totally I respect his base opinions and filter out any of the "garbage"

I think people on the board also take these opinions as valid but just reject them if disagree....pretty healthy discussion I think.............:W:

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words and support. I think Rob perhaps thought I was an anti-vette guy which may have caused him to jump in. But I think he understands.

Besides, I'm keeping my vert (she's way too good looking to trade for a hard-top) and am dropping in a TT which will smoke the Z06 anyway. Of course, the Z06 could do the same thing, well ... um.... um... shoot, I'll just have to yell at the Z06 Driver "At least I can put my top down!!!!"

By the way Chris, in re-reading your post when you mentioned my "Attitude over inside info," if it was what I think you were referring to (I made what may have seemed like a negative remark in Rob's eyes towards a vendor when the said "Just wait till next year - I can't tell you much but be patient, you'll see"), I sent a personal email 2 days after the post to that vendor, apologizing to him. So I do admit that was a bit out of line.

Mark,
Yup that was it but...yaknow...people do say stuff occasionally they regret later....U have to take everything with a "grain of salt" on these message boards........but I totally understand where it came from!!! It stinks that people who know cant share the info just yet..........but they could be in deep $^%*...I know u know this..your comments were more a momentary frustration at GM...the frustration U feel over Gm shrouding things in "mystery" and then when they reveal their "secret" its usually something lame like a "special" color or something!!!!

later :W:

BACK TO THE SUBJECT!

about the original post about the 2003 viper and the 50th anniversary vette. as far as VETTE vs. VIPER goes, most people see the Chevrolet Corvette and the Dodge Viper as the two superior sports cars in the United States, and possibly in the entire world (with the exception of some Italian and European models). and generally from what i hear, all but the die-hard vette and chevy men/women will choose the Viper for its V-10 pumpin 450 hp and 490 lb of torque. in which i am tired of.

Yes i do agree wit mark about the continuous disappointments in chevy, not jus sports cars, but im more of a truck man over a car man, and they are repedidly beat out by dodge and mainly ford as far as brute strength, and capabilities. up until recently you couldn't even find a chevy wit a diesel in it, and a true truck maker will have the optional diesel. and the same goes for their offroad capabilities and 4x4 tire selection. BUT, back to vettes. i do think strongly that chevy should create an ULTRA-VETTE at least for the 50th anniversary. and this time i think they should NOT look at the gas mileage, and not even so much the price (jus try and keep it under $75,000)

wut differences should there be? DEFINATELY a new body design, the current ones arent bad, they jus been the same for..... i dunno, a really long time, all they been doin is roundin the thing off. and and engine upgrade is really desired by many, bringin a 427ci into play would really boost up the level of play, maybe even enough to de-fang the viper.... MUAHH HAHAHA (evil laugh thingy)

well maybe im gettn outta hand, and my fingers are gettn tired, so please respond with your opinions on my opinions.. or wutever, thx 4 listenin

Brett

o yeah

and by the way i dunno whether site of the pic of the 2003 viper is gone, or my compt sux, so if u have access to the pic, could ya email it to me? thx

Brett

new generation vette

While my opinion isn't as strong as others' in this thread, I do have to agree with them. Chevy seems to have been running into, or under The Rock lately, and I think it'd be nice if they would step up to the challenge.
My own vette is a late C3, and my favorite thing about her is her looks. Her hp is a measly 175, but since the engine isn't original, I may let hubby have his way with it, and boost the hp to 250-300. Even that may wind up being too much for me to handle. I think I'm just getting irked by all the 4 and 6 cylinders having more hp than my 350.
I grew up liking the muscle cars of the 60s, and those are the cars I tend to admire. Plus the engines are simple enough, even I can follow along an explanation! These computerized new cars are frightening! (so are the repair bills)
Anyhow, I think Chevy should throw caution to the wind with their next generation, or their 50th anniversary. Bring it back to its powerful roots, innovative body design and improvements in ride and handling. How many Corvette owners really care about fuel consumption or price? We just want to drive them!...and I'd really like to be able to tell them apart from other makes of cars!;)
I read the news release Rob posted here, and it sounds like Corvette is getting back on the right path. However, I will probably never own anything but a C3 Corvette. I'd just like to see Corvette remain at the forefront and keep the legend alive.
I wonder what the significance of Dodge Viper revealing a new style during Corvette's 50th is? Perhaps a challenge that Chevy will meet?
Silver

Originally posted by 78SilvAnniv
How many Corvette owners really care about fuel consumption or price?

One of Zora's requirements of the Corvette was that no Corvette owner should have to pay a "Gas Guzzler" tax. Apparently that pholosiphy is followed nicely still today. I love it when some one in an econobox tells me that I may have 300 more horsepower than them but they can cover 350 miles on a tank of gas... I just smile and point out the fact I get 18mpg I get in town and 27 on the highway.

But you guys are right, if Chevy can squeze 405Hp out of a 350, and still get ~20mpg out of it, imagine what they could do with a 427 that got 10-15mpg!

Jason

427 MPG

For what it's worth: recently I did a bunch of highway (70 - 75mph) mileage in mellow (no right foot down starts) mode. My '66 427/390hp got about 12.5 - 13.5 miles per gallon of go-juice. Most tankfuls deliver around 12.0 mpg, this with doing some romping but not going crazy on the throttle.

I wonder if the smart engineers at GM could twist (get the pun on torque?) 17 - 18 mpg composite rating out of a new 427 engine.

Fueling up at $2.00 a gallon, plus lead additive... I am VetteGuy66

PS - is Brett's spelling web shorthand?

haha

Sorry I kind of developed that over the summer while talking online a lot and using as little energy as possible, but I'm tryin to break that habit, lol, but could you understand it at least :)

Brett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom