Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 voltage regulator question

J

JB_68_Roadster

O.K.

Ive already explained that I dont know as much about older cars as I do EFI late models.

Im going to try and work some of the bugs out of this thing this weekend and was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what this thing is.

It connects into the top of the voltage regulator via a one wire connector and looks like a small coil or capacitor type thing. It's about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch in diameter and about 1 or 1 1/2 inches long. Does anyone know what it is and what it's for.

Im going to replace the voltage regulator and that coil looking deal is in pretty sad shape, it looks weathered so I figured Id replace that too, but I have no idea what it is or does.

Thanks,
J.

Yeah J.

You already named it. It is a capacitor, or condenser. (name depends on how old the person is that you ask.)

It has a dual purpose.
1. Reduce arcing at the regulator contacts.
2. Eliminate whining noise, from the alternator, in the radio.

You will find another one just like it inside the distributor cap, and attached to the ignition breaker points. The purpose here was to eliminate arcing, and subsequent metal transfer at the contact points, and to cause a rapid collapse of the magnetic field in the primary windings of the ignition coil allowing it to create the high voltage secondary circuit current to fire the spark plugs.

You can probably get a replacement from a generator rebuilder.

E. J.

Thanks E.J.

Im feelin kinda stupid not picking up on the fact that it looks just like the one in the distributor. But on the positive side I got my question answered and learned something. :)

Thanks again,
Joe

You're welcome Joe.

It was nice being able to talk about the old cars again.
Cars that you could diagnose by moving things back & forth, instead of all this solid state electronics.

E. J.

:)

How old are you E.J. ?

Im 37 but after my boss then wife and kid get thru with me each day Im feelin 55. ;)

Look on the bright side. With the late models you get all those creature comforts, more precise tuneability and it stays in tune better! I remember when I changed the rear gear in my 94 Z-28 and just plugged in the Hypertech Power Programmer into the data link and selected the gear size and punched in the tire size, it calibrated the speedo perfectly while I sat in the nice padded cloth.

For me it would be the best of both if I had another late model as well... Maybe in a couple years. Both seem to have a unique feel and driveability that I find most exhilirating. :)

Peace,
Joe

Well Joe I don't think I know you well enough to give out this kind of personal information. Let's just say I would like to feel 55 again.

I guess I did sound like an old fart.

My first Corvette was a 58, back when I was in The Air Force, in the 60's. The 2000 roadster that I have now is my second Vette. In between were 2 Olds 442's. one a coupe the other a convert. A Buick Skylark GS convert. Then In the mid 70's I discovered Trans/Am's and bought 10 of them between 75 & 99.

When they decided to quit making them I decided to go back to a vette. After all I didn't need that back seat now that my son was out of college and living in another state.

I have kept up with the advancing technology. I own a scan tool and still do my own maintenance. I understand how o2 sensors work and how they control your LT and ST fuel trims.

We have always had a computer in the house since 1985.
That hobby got my son into computer engineering, and he is a engineer with Verison in Richmond VA. He'll be 31 in November.

Now that you know me better I will tell you that I'll be 60 in October.

Ed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom