Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

7.0 Liters or 427?

Should the engine powering the new 2006 Z06 be referred to as "7.0 Liters" or "427&qu

• 7.0 Liters

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • 427 cu. in.

Votes: 75 70.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why not just badge it LS-7. We all know it is the baddest motor put into a corvette. I can see where the guys are coming from both ways. I would not put 7.0L on it, that is reserved for 5.0 and 4.6 liter mustangs. If the 427 isn't the right route either just leave it at LS-7.

Heavy Duty said:
Since the LS-7 is a small block and the only thing it has in common with the 427 BB is the displacement I voted 7.0. I have to agree with letting the 427 BB RIP. It did well in its day. The new 7.0, 427,or (...How many teaspoons did you guys say? Oh yea 1,420) has to carve out it's own pages in corvette history. H.D.
What he says. There's been a buncha 427 small blocks built (400sbc block w/4" stroker crank) ... if I build one it still ain't gonna be a real 427 ... could out-perform the old 427 but nowehere near the real deal. In most respects, the new sbc 7L is probably a better motor than the BB 427 of old ... but they're two totally different animals.
JACK

both make sense.........

7 Liter for export models...427 for USA deliveries...same usage in Advertising...if you want the Corvette to be a world beater at home and away!
RG

vetteboy86 said:
Why not just badge it LS-7. We all know it is the baddest motor put into a corvette. I can see where the guys are coming from both ways. I would not put 7.0L on it, that is reserved for 5.0 and 4.6 liter mustangs. If the 427 isn't the right route either just leave it at LS-7.

Ditto - LS7 would look sharp on the hood :_rock

Well being from the "over 50" group I side with them. There was always something special about the 427 emblem on any chevy, but on a vette it was all that needed to be said. I will vote for 7.0 L just because LS7 isn't an option. I think it should have been, kinda like the emblem that didn't make it in 1990...LT5.
Those of us who owned LT-1's kinda felt the same way about our emblems from the 70's, people looked and just kind of nodded. When you looked and saw 427 you just knew what was up. Maybe it should be a combination of LS7 & 427 somewhere like on the rear of the car.:beer tom

tomtom72 said:
Well being from the "over 50" group I side with them. There was always something special about the 427 emblem on any chevy, but on a vette it was all that needed to be said. I will vote for 7.0 L just because LS7 isn't an option. I think it should have been, kinda like the emblem that didn't make it in 1990...LT5.
Those of us who owned LT-1's kinda felt the same way about our emblems from the 70's, people looked and just kind of nodded. When you looked and saw 427 you just knew what was up. Maybe it should be a combination of LS7 & 427 somewhere like on the rear of the car.:beer tom

I kinda like that LS7-427 or is it 427-LS7?

Roadster Fan said:
I'd be willing to bet a :beer that the majority of those voting 7.0L are over 50 yrs old :L

Keeping those memories sacred ;)

Brett

Yeah, an interesting twist to the poll would be:

How does your age influence your 427/7.0 L decision?

A. I am between 0-21 and I vote for 427
B. I am between 22-35 and I vote for 427
C. I am between 35-49 and I vote for 427
D. I am 50 or older and I vote for 427
E. I am between 0-21 and I vote for 7.0 L
F. I am between 22-35 and I vote for 7.0 L
G. I am between 35-49 and I vote for 7.0 L
H. I am 50 or older and I vote for 7.0 L

I refer to the 5.3L in my truck as a 327 ci. So you know how I vote.

- a "C"

vetteboy86 said:

Interestingly, GM has a corporate-wide policy of not badging cars with engine RPOs. This arose out of a lawsuit that GM lost back in the 1970s over cars produced by various divisions that did not have engines in them made by those divisions. Of course, that issue is moot today, with all GM engines made by GM Powertrain Divisions but the policy is till in force.

That policy is also why ZR-1s did not have the "LT-5" badges on the rear bumpers of prototypes seen in the 1988 early 1989 period.

Roadster Fan said:
I'd be willing to bet a :beer that the majority of those voting 7.0L are over 50 yrs old :L

Keeping those memories sacred ;)

Brett

Not Moi - I voted 427 and I am well over fity!

sleepyhead said:
Yeah, an interesting twist to the poll would be:

How does your age influence your 427/7.0 L decision?

A. I am between 0-21 and I vote for 427
B. I am between 22-35 and I vote for 427
C. I am between 35-49 and I vote for 427
D. I am 50 or older and I vote for 427
E. I am between 0-21 and I vote for 7.0 L
F. I am between 22-35 and I vote for 7.0 L
G. I am between 35-49 and I vote for 7.0 L
H. I am 50 or older and I vote for 7.0 L

H :upthumbs

G

-Mac

D+:D
Well boys; it looks like it is up to the resident Bigot to settle this.If it has push rods it is a 427…When the General decides to produce another Corvette with overhead cams then that motor can have a liter displacement.

<o:p></o:p>Mac and 67 – I hope that my anti-liter stand does not slow down my application for a Canadian outlook on life Visa. I remembered to bash Bush in a totally non related thread, refused to speak French even when it would have made life easier, and bought all of the condoms out of the machine located in the restroom of a bar owned by a very devout Catholic and burnt them on the bar watching for a puff of white smoke… Do not worry the next pope will not be called Durex the first.

Ok, it is late, Moni is in <st1:City><st1:place>Amsterdam</st1:place></st1:City>, ½ of the dogs are in the kennel – the other 2 have taken over the bed and I am exhausted and wide awake… Sorry:W:W:W

SPANISHVETTS said:
If it has push rods it is a 427…When the General decides to produce another Corvette with overhead cams then that motor can have a liter displacement.

Thank you for not speaking French.
Your application was approved long ago, Spanishvetts!!

I'm still trying to figure out what OHC has to do with litre displacement. The first modern OHC engine was produced in America by George Dewald and sold on various names including Peerless, Peerless SD, SDM (Shaft Drive Manufacturing Ltd) or simply SD. His engines (singles and v-twins) were mostly used for motorcycles. In fact, Dewald built his first shaft-drive motorcycle in 1901.

-Mac

SPANISHVETTS said:
If it has push rods it is a 427…When the General decides to produce another Corvette with overhead cams then that motor can have a liter displacement.
Whoops! They already decided against ya on that one. LT5 = DOHC

I voted 427 also. Although, if we are talking about visible badging, I'd rather have the voting between engine moniker (LS7) or cubes (427). There has never been a Corvette with an engine size visible label, has there? To me, it's like back in the late 60's and early seventies with the cubes subtley (but proudly) displayed on the cowl. 350, 427, 454. I like that. I still do! Or I'd go with engine designation such as LT-1, LS5. Either one. But seeing displacement never quite did anything for me. I'm not well versed in every GM car produced since the beginning of time, but the only GM 'performance' car that I can recall that listed liters on the cowl was the Trans Am, with the 5.7, 6.0, and 6.6HO (or something like that)

History is history. The 427, the 454...they are still special and I don't believe that reusing that badging is anything to shun. Hell, you should be honored that any of you have an 'original' and that they have respected that enough to use it again. It certainly doesn't take anything away from the originals. I don't think there was much brouhaha made when GM rereleased the ZR1 and Z06 models. It's really just aesthetics. As long as the car continues to evolve and kick ass in the automotive world, then it doesn't matter to me. I'd rather see them invest more time in fixing the front plate issue than worrying about nomenclature.

If the vote was available, I'd vote to have engine moniker visible. I like that even better than displacement. Then, there's no guessing "which 427 or 454" you have, as I often have to do with the late 60's, early 70's. In that regards, CI labeling was nice, but there were great discrepancies in power output among the same CI ratings. No guessing when you see the engine moniker.

Displacement terminology ...

I swear! The other evening at Ruby's Cruise At The Beach there was a blue Viper with the white racing stripes bordered in red, with lettering towards the cowl portion indicating (and I kid you not!) 2.1 Gallons. :L
wishuwerehere82 said:
I think 1,420 teaspoons sounds fairly impressive!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom