Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

72 coupe Project pics

Bought the car in march or april. It was a project that someone else started and he was letting it go. I just moved in this area and he was a couples miles away from me.

Always wanted a C3.

I thought about telling you about the hemi....LOL but I know a couples of guys around Montreal that are Vette maniacs and didn't want them to come and throw rocks in my windows. LOL.

Do you think the elephant motor would fit???
Nah! forget about it.
great job so far do you plan on keeping car for a long time or is it just a project when do you plan to finish ..

I'll probably keep it, it's fun rebuild it thats what I wanted to do but after all the work...got to play with it for while.

Ok today I had a day off, big truck's in the shop so I had a few hours to start cleaning up the engine.
What a mess. LOL
Geez I cant wait to start using
"CLEAN UNRUSTED GREASSELESS FRESHLY PAINTED OR NEW PARTS"
Ok ok I'm allright. couples of weeks and I'll be there.
The thing I forgot is to use a degreaser and the pressure washer when we lifted the body, that way the worse grease and grime would've been off and since the plugs, carb and stuff were still on the engine I wouldn't be affraid to spray water inside the engine.
Oh well got to do it the hard way I suppose.
I took the oil out of it and since the plug is not magnetised I used a heavy magnet on a strainer to catch some metal particles and didn't find any.
For what it's worth it looks good.
Last night I started to weld some gussets on the frame. Well actualy I cut some triangles and tack them in place. Ill leave the real welding for my welder friend.
Ok here's some pics

That's what I started with,

P1010022b.JPG

P1010008d.JPG

P1010032b.JPG

then I took the carb, water pump, gas pump, manifolds, oil gage line, alternator(generator) motor mounts off.

ended up with this.
P1010039b.JPG

P1010037b.JPG

Everything went pretty easy. I broke only 2 bolts out of the motor mount and one of the manifold had a broken corner.
P1010026c.JPG

So after the scraping and a first clean up with some degreasser this what it looked like.

P1010042b.JPG

P1010041b.JPG

Not perfect but a bit better.
Next, I'll finish the clean up then I'll take it to the engine builder where it will be dismantled and tank washed.
He will check for cracks in the block and I,ll decide then what to do with it as far as HP's and stuff.

Great project. I've always loved the C3s. Man, that is some rust you're dealing with... Can't wait to see more, Michel.

Great project. I've always loved the C3s. Man, that is some rust you're dealing with... Can't wait to see more, Michel.
Same here. I love the C2 but this one came along so...
I played with other steel bodies but it's the first Vette. Up to now I love it.
As far as the rust, well it's been sitting somewhere since the 80's Probably in a garage because the paint even if it's scratched doesn't seems to be too damaged by our winters and the birdcage looks realy good, just a little hole in one of the rear body mount. Sitting outside all those years woud've inflicted much more damage. Actualy it's not that bad.
I heard horrors stories about rusted Corvettes frames in our area.

Great project, good to see a C3 brought back to its former glory.

Thanks Vettehead Mikey , we will meet for sure.
thanks also Garagetoys couldn't let a 72 rot like that.

Now for an update,
Today I finaly got to work on the old frame. Got to tell you, it was the worse day of the project. I dont care what's coming up, this IS and will be the worse one.
Let me explain in a word "RUST" I just cant stand the da*$n thing!
Each time I touched anything 1 pound of rust fell off. At the end I collected a 10 pound bag of rust LOL. I can immagine the frames Mikey was talking about, must've been hell.
But it's behind me now. I hoisted the old frame up on the ceiling of the garage. That way it wont be in the way and I'll get to it later, I was supposed to send it to sandblast but I dont want to see it for a while.
OK enough whining,
I started by taking the front suspension out.
First took the chock absorber off so I could pass a 5/8 treaded rod in it's place and a plate to hold the bottom of the spring. One bolt on top with a washer and one at the bottom under the plate then compressed the spring with the top bolt until I could take the lower control arm off. After it was a matter of slacking the bolts until the spring got loose. Pretty simple and safe.

Almost everyday for the past 3 weeks I sprayed all the bolts with WD40 and I think it paid off.
Didn't break any bolts in the front end.
Went pretty well and it took about an hour for the front end.
The rear end was another story,
The frame is broken on top of the rear crossmember on both sides so there's no way the trailing arm would come off.
So I decided to cut around the trailing arm bolts, went pretty easy since everything was so thin. then I disconnected the rear sway bar.
Is this thing holding anything? I mean 1/2in bar? Sorry sight, I'll have to put something beefier. Anyway
I tried to get the diff off the rear crossmember but couln't get a good hold of the bolts. I tried the bolts of the crosmember cushions and suprisingly they came out easy. Then I pried the crossmember cushion out with a bar.
Now that folks was fun.
One came off the first try but the other side took me about an hour 1/2. It moved a bit and I sprayed a lot of WD, then it popped off without warning,
I ended up on my rear end! But happy.
By doing so, I was then able to separate the frame from the suspension.
The rear frame is shot, too much rust damage and the rear crossmember is also garbage.
So the frame is now cut at the rear crossmember and the rear suspension is still in one piece. The rest of it is in good shape. I'll get to it later.
The important thing is that from now on, I'ts rebuilding time.
This week the engine is going to the rebuilder and The new frame to sand blast so we can finaly finish the welds of the reinforcement gussets.
I decided to sand blast it because I was spending too much time with a wire brush wheel to clean up for welding and it will have to be sandblasted anyway for the powder coat so might as well do it right now.
Mean while I'll clean up the garage. It badly needs it.
I didn't take pics because we have a niece that had a baby and the camera is at her place. I'll have it tonight (the camera, lol)
Ouff! sorry I'm so long with this post.
Later!

Heres a couples of pics
the frame is now out of the way.
P1010001.JPG

I had to cut te frame at the trailing arm. And a shot of the pesky crossmember cushion that sent me to the floor.
P1010006.JPG

The rear suspension.
P1010005.JPG

Ha, Qwick springs fix the 80's way
P1010017.JPG

I'll sand blast and see what's left of it. Maybe the last crossmember is still good.
P1010020.JPG

Kinda neat huh?
P1010012.JPG

Fits perfectly between the lights.. Like it was made to hang there.. :L

Thanks for the update..

are you going to powder coat frame . did i see spring expanders in the springs you took off ,

Yes I'm going to powder coat the frame and all the components.
1- I'll send the frame to sandblast asap
2-finish the gussets and smooth the welds
3-test fit the body on the new frame in order to align the jeep box with the steering column then make the necessary holes and brackets.
Then make sure nothing else needs to be done on the frame and send it to powdercoat

Yes thats a spring expander LOL. Have not seen that in a long while. This was a popular qwick fix in the 70's.
I should keep it as a relic.

The 64 Impala i drove in high school had 4 of those expaders in each back spring so my Cragar SS rims would fit.Its amazing im still alive today.

The 64 Impala i drove in high school had 4 of those expaders in each back spring so my Cragar SS rims would fit.Its amazing im still alive today.
i hear you i also had them on my 66 impala ss so the deep dish cragars would fit .after high school i took out the expanders but still have the car no more cragars it sits o 8'' vette rallys

Well slow week. thanks for asking
1- The big truck broke down. Aluminium bellhousing had a big crack in it so that took a lot of my time. These things produce a lot of torque (1850lbs). Lucky the thing is still under warranty it's a 20 hrs job + parts. $$$$
2-The kids playing football and is in the finals. Got to go at the games, part of the O line helped me lift the body off. Last game's saturday.
3- niece had a new baby.
Too many things happening at the same time LOL
So I took the time off to just reorganize the garage and getting ready to paint the floor. I want to do this before the weather turns bad. I did a mess taking everything apart so I want to make sure the shop is neat and clean before I start rebuilding.
Tonight....no work I'm watching Foose do his thing.

Well slow week. thanks for asking
1- The big truck broke down. Aluminium bellhousing had a big crack in it so that took a lot of my time. These things produce a lot of torque (1850lbs). Lucky the thing is still under warranty it's a 20 hrs job + parts. $$$$
2-The kids playing football and is in the finals. Got to go at the games, part of the O line helped me lift the body off. Last game's saturday.
3- niece had a new baby.
Too many things happening at the same time LOL
So I took the time off to just reorganize the garage and getting ready to paint the floor. I want to do this before the weather turns bad. I did a mess taking everything apart so I want to make sure the shop is neat and clean before I start rebuilding.
Tonight....no work I'm watching Foose do his thing.
i hear you am a single dad w/3 kidz for ten years now time and money i no all a about that ..my oldest girl 17 just put plugs in the vette on her own that was great to watch ....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom