Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78-82...A Stingray in the un-informed public eye?

Is the 78-82 Corvette a Stingray?

• Yes, it can proudly be included to that title.

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • No, that name is for the reserved to the fine 69-77 corvettes.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • Well kinda...or maybe not. It's a Sting-shark!

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Ask the Magic 8 ball. It knows all.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
Speaking of Sharks and eating other cars...

How about "SHARKS eat RICE for dinner" as a license plate frame?

Joe

At the very first red light after I pulled out of the dealership with my new Vette on a trailer behind my truck a guy asks me if the car is a Stingray. I was so preoccupied with Atlanta's rush hour traffic and the fact that I was just starting an all night drive in the rain with my two most expensive possessions (truck and Vette) so I just said YES and rolled up my window - and immediately felt guilty for saying so - like I had betrayed my new love who was sitting on the trailer giving me an angry grimmace through my rear view mirror. I appologized and she forgave me, then rode quitely the rest of the way home.

Now when folks ask, I simply say that 76 was the last year they were called Stingray's, but it's the same basic body style.

I spent my whole life (ok, ok, so I'm only 27) calling all C-3's Stingrays - I didn't even know the term Shark or C-3, I just thought they were the best looking things ever to ride around on 4 wheels. It wasn't until I started doing my homework and shopping for one a couple of years ago that I learned the facts as to what years got what badges.

Culprit

I feel strongly both ways.

Anyone know why they decided to drop the Stingray name?

It is a pretty cool name, you would think that some marketing guy would have decided to use it for an upgrade version.

I opt for calling it a shark too.

STINGRAY

Some Corvette history is helpful to ID a Stingray.
In 63, the new smaller body & chassis w/ I.R.S. was called a Sting Ray. When the body was redone in 68 at first called Sting Ray & then used Stingray emblems in 69. Emblems are for identification & some can not identify w/o the emblem. Seems some place far more importance on emblems than the factory ever did. The factory wanted to change the new car so that it could be identified as new at the time. Stingray is not an option or emblem, some are unmarked.
Chassis essentially same from 63-77, body essentially same 68-77 & interior essentially same from 68-77.
There can be no question that 68-77 are Stingrays.

Can be debated on 78-82. Note that the 78- rear glass is reminiscent of the 63-67 coupe.

CORVETTE says it all anyway.

Re: badges

81LT4 said:
You would not call any C4 a ZR1 just cause it look like one.
you would not call a WS6 TRANS AM RAM AIR a firbird.
you would not call a 1982 CROSS FIRE a L48.
you would not call a FIREBIRD a TRANS AM if it was not a T.A.
HERE'S a good one,what would you call a 1991 WS6 TRANS AM
GTA? It's a TRANS AM GTA, why because this is how the dealers
lable their car's. For normal to performance, each and every car has it's own name, for good reason. Just because of a name,
you can get triple the amount of resale. A1991 Firebird can go for 1000.00 to 1500.00, at least they do here in Houston, a 1991
TRANS AM GTA goes for about 4500.00 to 7000.00. Get what im saying A stingray is a stingray, a L82 is a L82, an L48 is a L48
Probably beating a dead horse here, but, but all of the examples mention are all different packages applied to the base model with the exeption of the Cross Fire/L48 example. The Stingray/Sting Ray name carried no such distinction.
ZR1 vs C4 - Higher performance & cost over over base C4.
T/A GTA vs Fireird - Never had a GTA, but I am assuming it had better handling, and definately better perfomance over a V6 or base 305cid Firebird.
GTA's cost more when new, fewer were manufactured, and performance (I assume) was better than a plain firebird.
Would a '70 LS6 454 or even a 350 cid SuperSport Chevelle sell for the same price as a '70 250cid six cylinder Chevelle in the same condition?

Ganey said:
There can be no question that 68-77 are Stingrays.

A '77 is not a Stingray. '76 was the last year.

Joe

You would not call any C4 a ZR1 just cause it look like one.

Well, that's a little different. ZR1 is a performance option, not an emblem/given title. In my opinion, all C3s are Stingrays.

Re: Re: badges

Privategod said:
Would a '70 LS6 454 or even a 350 cid SuperSport Chevelle sell for the same price as a '70 250cid six cylinder Chevelle in the same condition? [/B]

HELLO, DUH, and the point was? Let's get back to real
STINGRAY'S. Real model STINGRAY'S, not my 81 STINGRAY.
Great, did I just call my shark a STINGRAY. Now look what you have done, it wont even start ;LOL

Stallion said:
Well, that's a little different. ZR1 is a performance option, not an emblem/given title. In my opinion, all C3s are Stingrays.

Yea, your right, but being uncertain of corvette history, or new to the corvette world, you would not know a ZR-1 from a 96 LT4.
The ZR-1 is wider in the rear, than a standard C-4. MOst would not notice that. Because to them C-4's all look alike. Most people don't know the difference, or pay attention to different features.
This is what I am trying to say about stingrays. A true STINGRAY
were on certain year model's only! (It might not be because of
a performance option or anything else) but because a true
STINGRAY, came with badges. So, here it is, in the real world,
outside of your's, you don't have a stingray! and neither do I.

All C3's are STINGRAY'S (BY STALLION) ;LOL :nono

Hey Joe

An unmarked police car is still a police car ! Believe it or not.

Re: Re: Re: badges

Let me kick this dead opinion horse one final time, and I don't mean to offend anyone.
81LT4 said:
HELLO, DUH, and the point was? Let's get back to real
STINGRAY'S....
:cry

Seriously?
Ok
Well I would guess my point was you were comparing apples and oranges. You compare cars that have obviouse differences from thier base models, to a car that the only real difference is that GM saved $.50 per car by dropping/changing 2 emblems, or perhaps they felt the term "Stingray" was too dated. Did they see that people were talking about, reviewing, and buying "Corvettes", and that fewer people included "Stingray" when talking about Vettes of the era? Maybe they finaly realized the Corvette, even the L82, from the factory was a shadow of it's former self performance wise. If that was the case, "Stingray" should have been removed after '74(big block) at the latest . Then you stated that one version(GTA) sells for three times the cost of the base model(Firebird) in your area, based on the name badge it wears. So instead of apples and oranges I thought I would compare oranges to oranges, SS Chevelle(Trans Am GTA) vs base Chevelle(base Firebird). Trying to show that it is more than just a badge on the side that increases the value, but the options/performance that came with that badge that create the raised value. Guess I should have simplified my reply to "Well, that's a little different. ZR1 is a performance option, not an emblem/given title", ;shrug
If my '76 will sell for three times the money that a '77 sells for in the same condition/option packages in your area because it has "Stingray" on the fenders :eek then when I'm ready get a different Vette, I know where I'll be selling mine.

Ganey said:
Hey Joe

An unmarked police car is still a police car ! Believe it or not.

Yup. And a Corvette is still a Corvette, regardless of whether the name is on it.

But a blue Corvette isn't a red Corvette, just like a non-Stingray Corvette isn't a Stingray Corvette. Both (colors, Stingray emblem) are simply matters of appearance.

Joe

So you are saying that the only thing of a Stingray is the shiny piece of metal? No. I don't think so. It's the car, not the chrome. :)

BADGE'S

Hey Stallion, just a thought. Do you have STINGRAY badges
on your 78. Be honest.

1969 Fact, A Stingray script was added to the front fenders. I consider 1968-1982 C3 :cool

What he said!!

DarkShark78 said:
Well, 78-82s have more in common with the 69-77s (badged STINGRAYS) than not.

People always ask if its a Stingray. I answer "yes, its the shark body from the 70s". True Corvette people know its not a badge-Stingray. Its often called just a C3 or a Shark.

Some people ask if its the pace car or an anniversary. These are usually the more informed persons.

Side pipes, bigblock hood.... and then there's the issue of TPI and an overdrive. So, its not really even stock.

Oddly enough, the Stingray has just as much a following in the Corvette crowd as the Trans AM does in the Poncho crowd. These guys will fight bitterly over the Trans Am-versus-Firebird debate. They will tell you over and over that its not the same car. Kinda like a GT versus a Cobra.

The saving grace to the Vette/Stingray argument is the fact that all Vettes were Stingrays during the Stingray years.

I personally include the 78-82 in the Stingray crowd. They are just the "un-labled" version.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom