Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78-82...A Stingray in the un-informed public eye?

Is the 78-82 Corvette a Stingray?

• Yes, it can proudly be included to that title.

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • No, that name is for the reserved to the fine 69-77 corvettes.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • Well kinda...or maybe not. It's a Sting-shark!

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Ask the Magic 8 ball. It knows all.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
Re: BADGE'S

81LT4 said:
Hey Stallion, just a thought. Do you have STINGRAY badges
on your 78. Be honest.

No it doesn't. But why does it have to say it? Dude, you gotta have faith. :) ;)

I personally include the 78-82 in the Stingray crowd. They are just the "un-labled" version.

I agree. :)

BADGES

IT STILL WON'T START. ;LOL Ok, so it's time to jump this thread.
Stallion, I do have faith. You have every right to call your 78 a
STINGRAY, maybe I agree with shark more. I nicknamed mine
MEGLADON, Im sure you know what that mean's. this is a
issue that will never be won by neither side. I have a STINGRAY and you don't! you have a STINGRAY and I don't. This is all just a matter of opinon. What's real is real, and what's not is not.
that will alway's be the case of this subject. believe what you
believe, and dare to be different! is my MOTTO.
As for PRIVATEGOD, feel like kicking another dead horse.
I'm sure I could come up with a pinto type sc.

there seems to be a little controversy over tha last year of the Stingray badged cars. my '77 is an early model and it has Stingray badges on the fenders. it may be a clone from a previous owner, or the last of the factory badged. i know that when i order parts i always get asked the Vin number to verify if it is an early or late model. so, what were the real changes made mid-year in '77??? if anyone can shed some light on this subject i would be endebted. Brian

Brian, officially, 1976 was the last year that Corvettes came with "Stingray" badges. Early '77 Corvettes came with no fender badging, and somewhere along the line they got the "crossed flags". I would suspect a PO put them on.
81LT4, If you put it in front of me, I'll kick it a couple of times.;)

Brian, my early 77 has no emblems on the fenders. Other changes for 77, leather steering wheel, AC control, radio position, steering column position, windshield wiper-headlight dimmer controls relocated to steering column, 77 new options sport mirrors, cruise control, luggage and roof panel rack, And a AM/FM 8 track stereo.

Stallion said:
So you are saying that the only thing of a Stingray is the shiny piece of metal? No. I don't think so. It's the car, not the chrome. :)

Yes, "Stingray" is a shiny piece of metal. C3's are all "Sharks," since they are a derivative of the Mako Shark II concept car. "Shark" is the car. "Stingray" is just a badge.

Joe

I personally feel that the 69-76 Vettes are the only 'stingray' not to be confused with the earlier 'sting ray'...even though i believe this, i do not believe the 77-82 vettes are any lesser of a vette. i believe GM just wanted to make a change...no biggie...they're all C3's! :Steer

Jack,,,I just read this thread and remembered that I once also had a 54 panhead and a drunk girlfriend. This was probably pushing 27 years ago but you know I had the same problem. However my tank didnt get scratched as she use to reach around me with her arms but never seemed to get past my zipper.

Thank god for them old ridged frame vibrating Harleys. Worked every time !!! Those were the days.

Oh yeah I thing it it wasn't badged a stingray "it wasn't". However it is still a vette.

Confusion?

Just got my"Vette" magazine in the mail, September 2003. On page 36 they refer to a '79 as a Stingray, and on page 40 a '80 and '82 recieve a Stingray title. So ther must be confusion even a the top when it comes to this matter.

When folks complement me on my 78 Shark I thank them politely and provide on the spot training if they would like it. When I had a Trans Am and folks said nice firebird, I thanked them and provided education for the willing. When I was yelled at for parking my horse type ford product in front I tried to explain that the bow tie cars were broken and quickly moved the offending vehicle.

Most of the time I am just glad they noticed my car.

Bill

There is a book called "Original Corvette Sting Ray 1963-1967" by Tom Falconer. It's interesting that the title has only the years 63-67. I saw this book in the Corvette Central catalog if anyone is interested.

A Stingray is a Stingray....

as a spade is a spade....i call it what it is.....either way its the greatest American :pat sports car ever produced!

I had my '79 at a car show a couple weeks ago and I was parked next to a '74. My license plate says 79 SHARK on it. It was funny listening to people talk and say....."hey look at that Stingray next to that Shark" or "this one is a Stingray and this one here is a Shark" Since my car only has cross-flags on the side, I guess my license plate is telling the story. Like someone else said, I just like when my car is noticed!:cool

Mike

I think I'd of killed that...... *searching for nice word* girl. :mad :argue :SLAP :blow :nono

To the 'un-informed public eye',
ANY C3, regardless of chrome-bumper, 'short' back-window, or 'large' back-window, is THE car they think of when they hear the word 'Corvette' mentioned, not the C2s, (CERTAINLY) not the C4s, or even the C5s.
People with the 'un-informed public eye' think a Corvette MUST have the classic Coke-bottle shape, doors with compound-curves, and 'peaked' fenders.
Whether called 'Stingrays', 'Sting Rays', or 'sharks', C3s are THE Corvette America thinks of....

"We hold these Truths to be self evident:
REAL Food, once said 'Moooo',
REAL women, wear skirts and heels,
REAL Corvettes, have bulging fenders.....
:pat

Very early 77's had no emblems on the fender and the alarm key was on the driver's side fender. Early to mid-year 77's had crossed flag emblems on the fenders with alarm key on the fender, and late 77's had crossed flags and the alarm key was incorporated into the drivers side door lock. 77 was last year for the flat window and the 160MPH speedometer. It was the first year for cruise control, leather seats were standard equipment, the wiper switch was moved to steering column, and it was the first year for the 8- track tape player. Early 77's also use a different weatherstrip kit than late 77's.

Call it whatever you want Stingray, Corvette, it's still the sexiest generation of Corvette ever built. They are still one of the best looking cars ever designed in the entire world. At 25 to 40 yrs. of age, these cars still turn more heads than many of the newer cars on the road today.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom