Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78-82...A Stingray in the un-informed public eye?

Is the 78-82 Corvette a Stingray?

• Yes, it can proudly be included to that title.

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • No, that name is for the reserved to the fine 69-77 corvettes.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • Well kinda...or maybe not. It's a Sting-shark!

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Ask the Magic 8 ball. It knows all.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
I own a 78, and have never considered it as a Stingray. When I hear the term Stingray, I think of the C2's and early C3's. Several years ago, we visited the Corvette Museum, and my son bought for me a patch that says "1978 Stingray Corvette". I appreciated the gesture, and would never hurt his feelings by telling him the patch was mistaken, even though it was bought at the Corvette Museum.

Bill

yeah i call mine a corvette..

If it says Stingray, it's a Stingray....but that doesn't make the later C3's any less of a car. It's just a cool sounding name with a badge to go along with it. They are all Corvettes at the end of the day...:cool

Hello,
I have a very dumb question.....What does Stingray lll stand for?
I only ask, because I had just bought some die- cast replicas of Corvettes today and the box says on one of them Stingray lll. What year also would that one might be? Don't say 80-82
Thanks,
81kix

My 73 has one!

bluelgt said:
My 73 said STINGRAY on the side of it as I recall. I heard it was the last year the car had that logo on it.

81kix said:
Hello,
I only ask, because I had just bought some die- cast replicas of Corvettes today and the box says on one of them Stingray lll. What year also would that one might be? Don't say 80-82
Thanks,
81kix
Janine, not a dumb one at all.. I actually have the Revell Kit, says Sting Ray III on it, but it's actually the CSERV Concept car for the C5 (i think, might be C4).. It's kewl looking thats why i bought the kit, still have to get to it... Patienceis a virtue i dont have.. :L

81kix said:
Hello,
Thanks,
81kix
Janine, not a dumb one at all.. I actually have the Revell Kit, says Sting Ray III on it, but it's actually the CSERV Concept car for the C5 (i think, might be C4).. It's kewl looking thats why i bought the kit, still have to get to it... Patience is a virtue i dont have.. :L
Greetings Stefan

Thanks Stefan, I still don't really know what year it is Sting Ray lll.
Oh well, I will not go crazy over it, but it's cool looking.
Later,
Janine

Hi there c5d, Thanks for the links to all of thoses cool looking Corvettes, but none of them are it.
This one is Red with grey interior and side pipes, it looks like a 63 or a 64. The thing that bothers me is the writing on the box .....
Stingray lll and no year.
:confused
81kix

Re: Up all nite..

c5d said:
Janine;

These are the things that do keep some of us up all nite. Any chance you can post a pic of this III?

C'ya
D

You are so right, that's why I'm here reading on this to see if any luck with this toy model Stingray lll..
1974Vette thanks for trying, but nope not it.

cd5... I don't have a digital camera sorry, I think I'm still in stoneages sometimes. I will take a pic and post it, but get some sleep it may take sometime. LOL

I will say it is a vert if that helps....

I think there is one obvious thing everyone is missing in this debate. Notice the spelling: Sting Ray 2 words used on the 63-67 cars, Stingray 1 word used on the 69-76 cars. Even GM wanted to separate the two. I remember comments written in C/D, R/T etc. in the fall of 68 about the new 69's and how the Stingray name was being used again. All of the new car reviews I read that year thought it was rather strange the revive the logo and just spell it differently. If I remember correctly the general consenses was that it didn't belong on the new Vettes. Sting Rays were from the previous generation no matter how GM wanted to make it new by changing the spelling.

Now in MHO I completely agree with that concept. In the 63-67s the end of the roof line of the coupes tapered to a point in a sort of ray look. (In earlier automotive history 20&30s this was similar in concept to what was called a "boat-tailed" car. The styling concept is basically the same to make the rear of the car look more streamlined.) That Ray or tapered look went away with the advent of the C3 body style. The Sting Ray styling concept was now gone therefore NO C3 should have ever had Stingray on it. Granted it was only a badge and not an option package or model but it takes away some of the historical styling significances of both generations.

I have owned both a 72 and a 75 badged with the Stingray logo but NEVER personaly reffered to either on as a Stingray. Back then it was just my Vette. Now a days I say I a C1 and owned a couple of C3s in my day.

I don't think that my opinion will be taken well by C3 owners but we must all face the fact that the only Sting Rays were C2s and even GM couldn't justify badging the C3s with that logo so had to change the spelling. Back then and now if anyone refered to C3s as Sting Ray (Stingray) I felt I had to give them a little history lesson and tell them that the logo was a huge mistake by GM on the C3 Vettes and that I had no idea what they thought they were doing.

Have fun debating this one!

A loyal and devoted Vette freak
Morgan

Maybe they called the C3's stingrays, because of the shape of the hood and fenders. It reminds me of a stingray as it 'flies' through the sea.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the crossed flags with the StingRay emblem on my '77. Basically an identical car to the '76. Also, since my vette is such a hybrid of mixed vettes, does it matter? (I've got a '75 convertible top, and '82 rear bumper)

The emblems and/or logos don't mean as much to me as the shape of the car.

-Vic

I do collect the minature vette models and have a few 1981 vettes that Hotwheels put out that are labeled as a 1981 Stingray. :eek Its hard to find anything with the 81 vette emblems.

Just my two cents worth, I refer to my as a shark but I am not offended if they call it a stingray.:cool

For the general public, Stingray means Corvette.

Since GM saw fit to put Stingray on the 69-76 'sharks' and since the average guy/gal doesn't know the difference between a 68 and an 82 'shark (neither are Stingrays), the average guy/gal can call any 'shark' a Stingray all they want to as far as I am concerned.

You can try to correct them if you want but they probably don't care. Nod knowingly and let then die ignorant.

My 2 cents on this.

My very own wife told someone last week i had a stingray.. I just stopped even trying to tell people different , it really doesn't matter...

Corvette ; its not just a car, it a way of life

I have a 77

But it dosen't Have the Stingray emblem on it anywhere .
Have Any Ideas ?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom