Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78-82...A Stingray in the un-informed public eye?

Is the 78-82 Corvette a Stingray?

• Yes, it can proudly be included to that title.

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • No, that name is for the reserved to the fine 69-77 corvettes.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • Well kinda...or maybe not. It's a Sting-shark!

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Ask the Magic 8 ball. It knows all.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
Okay, that wasn't ment literally about the weight of the badges themselves.:lou

There were no C3 "Sting Rays" only "Stingrays". One word on the C3s.
I thought there was one year in the C3's where they split it??? :confused

According to the show I spoke of earlier: the C-2's where the only ones that had the Sting Ray separated into two words.

I thought there was one year in the C3's where they split it??? :confused

Nope. The 1968 model had nothing on the fender - then in 1969, the emblem reappeared on the fender, but was changed to one word... "Stingray".

:w
Ralph

Technically they are not Stingrays but to the general non-Corvette owning public, if it looks like a Stingray it's a Stingray.

GM could really screw this thread up by putting the stingray emblem back on a C6.......what would happen then???????

Wow, jump on an old thread.

When i tell people that I own a 1982 Corvette, they always go "oh... I didn't like the 80's corvettes as much as the 70's." I just tell them that 1982 was the last year of the Sting Ray (or is it Stingray?) body style.

If non-Corvette people tell me I have a Stingray (or is it Sting Ray?) then I don't correct them.

Good Luck!

I have had my 78 called a vette a stingray and a shark,my 3 year old calls it her car,so when somebody ask what is it i tell them to ask my little girl and she clears the question up quick, It's her car. :L

Let's look at it this way - 68-73 had a built in spoiler in the rear end - the 68 wasn't badged a "Stingray" but some if not all the adds "CALLED" it a Stingray. 1980-82 Have a more refined longer lower front end and a Rear Spoiler much like the 68-73. As has been mentioned the 69-76 was badged as a "Stingray". However the basic body design is the same all through the long C3 production. In later years after 1976 other badges appeard on the fender or none at all. Here's is my take on it, just because some bean counter in the accounting departement decided to save a few bucks by removing the script from the fender doesn't change a thing. I restored my 81 and you got it, I placed the script on the fender. I just figured I could afford what the bean counter deleted:)

Here is my 81:

CK_1981_SIDE_012.jpg

1981_Corvette012.jpg

Let's look at it this way - 68-73 had a built in spoiler in the rear end - the 68 wasn't badged a "Stingray" but some if not all the adds "CALLED" it a Stingray. 1980-82 Have a more refined longer lower front end and a Rear Spoiler much like the 68-73. As has been mentioned the 69-76 was badged as a "Stingray". However the basic body design is the same all through the long C3 production. In later years after 1976 other badges appeard on the fender or none at all. Here's is my take on it, just because some bean counter in the accounting departement decided to save a few bucks by removing the script from the fender doesn't change a thing. I restored my 81 and you got it, I placed the script on the fender. I just figured I could afford what the bean counter deleted:)

Here is my 81:

CK_1981_SIDE_012.jpg

1981_Corvette012.jpg

Very sharp looking interior. I'm trying to do something like that with mine right now.

Milo,
That's a SHARP vette! Did you do the interior yourself ? I was wondering if you might post a picture of the rear ? How does the gas filler door work with the rear rack ? Thanks,
Chiller

LOL. It's not mine, it's Irish Jokers. Mine is still being redone. I hope it comes out that nice.

IrishJoker,
Sorry about that. Like I was saying; SHARP vette! Did you do the interior yourself ? I was wondering if you might post a picture of the rear ? How does the gas filler door work with the rear rack ? Thanks,
Chiller

IrishJoker,
Sorry about that. Like I was saying; SHARP vette! Did you do the interior yourself ? I was wondering if you might post a picture of the rear ? How does the gas filler door work with the rear rack ? Thanks,
Chiller

Yes, I did the interior myself. The Rack was an authorized GM option installed by the dealer. It's wide between the support rods to allow the Gas door to open.
I think I have more pictures of the rear-end that shows the Rack.
I also have pictures of the Engine Bay - all original - which means that "Average" L81 - LOL. Let me find the other pictures and upload them to PhotoBucket and then I'll post em here for you to see.
On the interiror, those are custom seats by Mid America, new center console to accept the 1 DIN Height modern Radio without having to Grind out where the Knobs from the old radio locked in. That's available from all the big suppliers of Corvette parts as well. New Carpet, floor mats, new rear speakers, chrome shift knop and all new speakers front and rear.

1981_Corvette014.jpg

1981_Corvette019-1.jpg

1981_Corvette023.jpg

1981_Corvette017.jpg

Dont forget

Dont let us forget, they are all, General Motors, Chevrolet, Vettes, the greatest american sportscar.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom