Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alterative to radar detectors

soggytaco

Corvette
96 CE LT4
I was thinking today about radar and laser detectors and how even with the best there is just too much margin for error. So I was thinking about scanners and cb radios. Do you think a combination of a scanner to monitor police activity and a cb radio to listen to trucker reports on police and speed traps would be as effective as a radar detector. I think this setup may be more useful on the freeway than on country roads. I know many police have switched to digital radios is it possible to listen to them on the APCO25 frequencies.

i run a radar/laser detector. the laser side is a laser splitter also. it splits the laser beam and don't return a signal. i feel this is my eyes in the sky and with out it i feel like i'm flying blind in the vette especially when i wanna stretch her legs :D

Radical notion here... try driving the speed limit when on the street!! :)

-Mac

ps: they took my ticket book away from me... I was writing too many of 'em...

Mac said:
Radical notion here... try driving the speed limit when on the street!! :)

-Mac

ps: they took my ticket book away from me... I was writing too many of 'em...

Do you?;)

I have not had a radar detector since the 80s. I usually drive about 10 over the speed limit, however, on long trips I will kick it up a notch. The method I use to limit my ticket count is to pay attention to the environment. IE if the truckers are moving into the left hand lanes to pass other vehicles life is good and the Highway Tax Collector is probably not in the area. On the other hand if the trucks single file and travelling around the speed limit, time to slow down. I have done many coast to coast and other long distance trips without incident. My method does not work on I95 since the congestion and vehicle density often makes reading the conditions difficult.

Once I made it from San Diego to Memphis Tennessee in less than a day I left San Diego around 1000 am Friday and caught the 1100 am flight back to San Diego on Saturday.

Mike

Radar detectors today are so much more advanced then their predesessors. There not just detectors of various frequencies for go-fasters, they can warn you of emergency vehicles ahead and can have a built in compass. I do the speed limit.....just those annoying times when they drop it from 65 to 45 on a small sign so that they generate money for whatever.....that's the part that's not fair. My opinion.

A couple or three thoughts:
1. If you're alone on the road, speeding, and 'they' are looking, odds are they're gonna getcha!! You need other vehicles around so you can catch the reflections off of them before you're the one being lit up.
2. With loads of respect (and gratitude!) for Mac & others in law enforcement, speed limits are not 'always' designed with only safety in mind. Enthusiastic enforcement of those unreasonable limits generates disrespect for all of them.
3. Why not, in these high technology days, variable posted limits? Based (& changed) based on conditions, vehicle type & condition, and (heaven forbid) driver training/demonstrated capability? The limit indicator could be in your (and the Patrol's) vehicle instead of a roadside sign.

I try to stay 8 or 9 over. I have never gotten a tic using this method. I had a radar detector before and still got tics. They don't work in all instances. When you get older you get tired of going to court, paying fines and higher ins. just to get somewhere a few minutes sooner. Leave the house a few minutes earlier. I now have a clean driving record and pay $453 a year for full coverage on the vette. Older and wiser! JMHO. Guy

RC135_Tx said:
A couple or three thoughts:
1. If you're alone on the road, speeding, and 'they' are looking, odds are they're gonna getcha!! You need other vehicles around so you can catch the reflections off of them before you're the one being lit up.
2. With loads of respect (and gratitude!) for Mac & others in law enforcement, speed limits are not 'always' designed with only safety in mind. Enthusiastic enforcement of those unreasonable limits generates disrespect for all of them.
3. Why not, in these high technology days, variable posted limits? Based (& changed) based on conditions, vehicle type & condition, and (heaven forbid) driver training/demonstrated capability? The limit indicator could be in your (and the Patrol's) vehicle instead of a roadside sign.

Speed limits were designed for vehicles and conditions in the 50s and 60s. Then they were modified for the contrived oil crisis in the 70s. Now they are just revenue collection devices for local, state and federal governments. As long as speed limits generate revenue for governments and politicians then things will never change. Otherwise the government would mandate all vehicles would be built with governers for 55 or 65. That is my opinion, of course I could be wrong but I doubt it. :D

Radar detectors

One of my kids is a cop and runs a lot of radar.
Save your money and obey the speed limit.
If you're over by 8+ and he wants you, he's got you. A radar detector on the dash will upgrade a warning to a real ticket.
One of his 'buddies' keeps trying to buy 'new technology' and the two of them have fun evaluating the detectors. So far the radar has won every match.
The only time you might win is if the radar is looking at someone nearby and you get lucky enough to see the 'leak'. But then, that could have been a garage door opener with a bad (electrically noisy) transmitter.

I haven't found a detector yet that I can't beat, radar or laser. yeah, they may save you a ticket here and there, but MOST (not all) people who have them, use them solely so they can speed. Since they speed most of the time, the luck runs out eventually and they get popped with a ticket.

Like was stated already, if I stop you for speeding, and there is a radar detector, you are guaranteed a ticket.

A great alternative for radar detectors?? pacing a vehicle with a calibrated speedometer. :D

However, I normally run radar/laser in areas where I either get alot of resident complaints or crashes. I don't believe in those speed traps solely for revenue generation, it is wrong and I will be the first to admit it.

I understand most of the cops are saying don't speed. First, most of my friends who are cops speed why because they can in most cases they will not get a ticket. Second, I rarely speed in fact I usually drive at the limit or 5 mph above I have never gotten a ticket nor had a radar detector but as we all know from time to time we all stretch our legs.:beer

I do a lot of cross country driving and I have to say that they saved my a$$ a number of times. It's not that you want to speed....driving a vette on a highway for extreme long periods of time, what do ya think happens? 80.....85 and you don't even realize it. I don't like cruise control in the vette. Of course it depends on your reaction time to the detector....a major factor. You pick up tricks along the way like backward shooting radar. Looks like there pointing the other way when in fact there pointing at you through the back window.....never would know if it wasn't for the detector....not that I was speeding or anything! Cat and mouse....keeps the technology going...:)

something not touched on....

As a general rule, you can travel about 5 over the posted limit without worrying too much, but it all depends on the current conditions (traffic, weather, etc.)... common sense being the rule. The fact you're driving a Corvette will automatically draw attention from LEO, but if you're just keeping pace with traffic and being well behaved, they're likely going to leave you alone.

However... if you're driving like a Vin Diesel wannabe, cutting around traffic, generally driving aggressively, then you're going to get nailed eventually, detector or not. Attitude goes a LONG way... both in driving, and if you get stopped. If you're looking at it like "us vs them" with the police, you are going to lose, period... If you know you're driving in "speed trap" area, then slow down!

Vettes are ticket magnetics !!

Hi

When l travel to Atlanta from New Jersey and l do not fly, l take my Volvo sedan because l can keep at least 10 to 15 mph over the limit without a problem. And that is keeping up with traffic.

In my Torch Red vette if l travel 5mph over l am tempting the hands of fate.

I don't believe in radar detectors, l only believe in being aware and not to do anything stupid.

If l get stopped, there is no bull, just that l am sorry and that l will watch my speed. When taking long trips on highways everybody tends to keep up with traffic and by doing that will wind up speeding.

Did l mention that sometimes l have to speed up or pull over to let 18 wheelers pass me going over 85 mph.

Alan

coming back to this post and reading a few of you cops saying obey the speed limit blah blah blah are so full of sh!t! you guys speed 20+ over all the time! especially in your cars marked or unmarked! so please don't preach to the masses about obeying the speed limit.

with that said the rest of you that say you stay with in 5 mph over are full of it too! you know what i will say it now. i SPEED CONSTANTLY! and guess what? i have ZERO points! 20 over is my average on the highway.

how do i keep zero points? i stay out of the fast lane! cops are usually shooting radar in the median and looking for idiots doing 20 over like me but in the fast lane :D if i'm in an area that i know for a fact there is no alarms, ect so it trips my radar and i get 1 blip of k band i'm slowing down looking for the man. 1 blip of k band is over a 1/2 mile away. i know for a fact i can make an arguement in traffic to the judge at over a half mile away if i can get the cop to admit he shot radar on me at that range.

Me "When did you shoot radar on my car? when i was coming out of the turn?"
cop "Yes"
Me "Your honor let the court note that it is over a 1/2 mile away from where the officer was sitting shooting radar and where he supposedly hit me with his radar." Let the court know traffic was moderate around you and you were not in the fast lane.
Me "Does radar radiate from the gun in a cone shape?"
Cop " Yes"
Me " So what your telling me in a 1/2 mile distance and the radar "Wave" is at it's widest you could of scanned the car next to me in the fast lane passing me?" this statement does not to have to have truth. chances are the police officer don't remember exactly where and if a car was actually near you.
Cop "Yes" but here is always the clincher for the cop and as soon as he says yes answer "i have no further questions your honor" and it will either be thrown out of court or the judge will keep listening to testmony as heh will cause cops and judges are in the same boat and he will still say with his experience he can predict your speed and if he does you can counter by saying "Can you positively identify my speed at say 55 mph? him "Yes" me "56 mph?" him "Yes" keep doing that until A) he admits he can't which he won't or B) you make the arguement in showing his biased towards you because your driving a sports car that his arguement is null and can not be supported because NO ONE can accuretly predict a speed of a moving car down to 1 mph. 5 maybe. 10 almost certainly but not dead on exact mph you were travelling and the judge knows this! as soon as you keep increasing the incremental question by 1 to say 10 over from where you started the judge will make you state your case and as stated unless he IS the radar unit himself he can not predict increments of 1 mph so now he has been caught lying to the judge especially when you ask him "Does radar guns ever report errors?" his answer will be "Yes" "does it show when it errors?" His answer will be "No" "So based on what your telling me you don't know when your radar malfunctions and you rely on your training to accuratly portray incremental speeds of 1 mph and this is how you based your calculations of my speed based on theory and not necissarily scientifically?" "Yes"

case dismissed.

Mad-Mic said:
coming back to this post and reading a few of you cops saying obey the speed limit blah blah blah are so full of sh!t! you guys speed 20+ over all the time! especially in your cars marked or unmarked! so please don't preach to the masses about obeying the speed limit.

with that said the rest of you that say you stay with in 5 mph over are full of it too! you know what i will say it now. i SPEED CONSTANTLY! and guess what? i have ZERO points! 20 over is my average on the highway.

how do i keep zero points? i stay out of the fast lane! cops are usually shooting radar in the median and looking for idiots doing 20 over like me but in the fast lane :D if i'm in an area that i know for a fact there is no alarms, ect so it trips my radar and i get 1 blip of k band i'm slowing down looking for the man. 1 blip of k band is over a 1/2 mile away. i know for a fact i can make an arguement in traffic to the judge at over a half mile away if i can get the cop to admit he shot radar on me at that range.

Me "When did you shoot radar on my car? when i was coming out of the turn?"
cop "Yes"
Me "Your honor let the court note that it is over a 1/2 mile away from where the officer was sitting shooting radar and where he supposedly hit me with his radar." Let the court know traffic was moderate around you and you were not in the fast lane.
Me "Does radar radiate from the gun in a cone shape?"
Cop " Yes"
Me " So what your telling me in a 1/2 mile distance and the radar "Wave" is at it's widest you could of scanned the car next to me in the fast lane passing me?" this statement does not to have to have truth. chances are the police officer don't remember exactly where and if a car was actually near you.
Cop "Yes" but here is always the clincher for the cop and as soon as he says yes answer "i have no further questions your honor" and it will either be thrown out of court or the judge will keep listening to testmony as heh will cause cops and judges are in the same boat and he will still say with his experience he can predict your speed and if he does you can counter by saying "Can you positively identify my speed at say 55 mph? him "Yes" me "56 mph?" him "Yes" keep doing that until A) he admits he can't which he won't or B) you make the arguement in showing his biased towards you because your driving a sports car that his arguement is null and can not be supported because NO ONE can accuretly predict a speed of a moving car down to 1 mph. 5 maybe. 10 almost certainly but not dead on exact mph you were travelling and the judge knows this! as soon as you keep increasing the incremental question by 1 to say 10 over from where you started the judge will make you state your case and as stated unless he IS the radar unit himself he can not predict increments of 1 mph so now he has been caught lying to the judge especially when you ask him "Does radar guns ever report errors?" his answer will be "Yes" "does it show when it errors?" His answer will be "No" "So based on what your telling me you don't know when your radar malfunctions and you rely on your training to accuratly portray incremental speeds of 1 mph and this is how you based your calculations of my speed based on theory and not necissarily scientifically?" "Yes"

case dismissed.

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!:_rock

kingman said:
Hi

When l travel to Atlanta from New Jersey and l do not fly, l take my Volvo sedan because l can keep at least 10 to 15 mph over the limit without a problem. And that is keeping up with traffic.

In my Torch Red vette if l travel 5mph over l am tempting the hands of fate.

I don't believe in radar detectors, l only believe in being aware and not to do anything stupid.

If l get stopped, there is no bull, just that l am sorry and that l will watch my speed. When taking long trips on highways everybody tends to keep up with traffic and by doing that will wind up speeding.

Did l mention that sometimes l have to speed up or pull over to let 18 wheelers pass me going over 85 mph.

Alan

i don't know why everyone thinks vettes are ticket magnets. most police officers see vettes and think older mature adult driving it. so in restrospect they aren't looking for vettes as speeders. mustang, camaro's, riced out imports, are more the likely candidates! i have never seen a vette pulled over besides mine :D and each time i have beaten the process either with a warning or taking it to court. been pulled over 3 times for doing 20+ over and got out of one that was thrown out, second was pbj, and the third was a warning. got pulled for racing and that was a warning when he couldn't prove anything other than me and a cobra was 200 yards in front of the rest of the pack coming off a street light although we were back down to the posted speed limit.

knowing your rights and the laws the cops can shag you like they can someone that don't know squat about the laws. also showing respect to an officer goes a long ways!

for the record i don't weave in and out of traffic and don't speed on city streets unless i race off a light and i shut down 15 over the posted speed limit. most of my speeding is on the highway.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom