Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Antique Black & Decker Valve Grinding Machine

If it catches fire he can have a hot time working on his machine😀

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Leaking Coolant Reservoir

My coolant reservoir has been leaking ever since I restored this machine so this afternoon I looked for the source of the leak. I found a teensy-tiny pin hole in the front bottom corner so I sandblasted the insides then painted the entire inside with fiberglass resin. That should stop the leak once and for all. I also ground several of my old valves and it did a splendid job. The valves of today appear to be made a lot better than the valves of the 50's and 60's because they don't "cup" like the old valves.

I just got a brainstorm. I keep a bottle of mineral oil on hand for those uh "difficult times" and noticed it was a very light viscosity (as well as clear). I have been using ATF that has been heavily contaminated with a lot of black carbon fiber from my locking torque converter so it's almost black and hard to see through. So on a hunch clear light mineral oil may work very well in my valve grinder I just ordered a gallon just to try it. What's another $15 when I have well over $500 invested in this machine?

Mineral oil has many uses other than for constipation. Uses like hydraulic fluid and for a light machine lubricant or for lubricating clocks. It is a byproduct of the process of turning crude oil into gasoline and it's very cheap. So I thought I'd try it just to see how well it performs in my antique Black & Decker.

Well, at the very least you shouldn't have a constipated B&D.

Good call.....

The flash point of mineral oil is 320 degrees F.

BTW:

From Material Safety Data Sheet
Mineral Oil, Light and Heavy
MSDS# 17996
Potential Health Effects
Eye:
May cause eye irritation.
Skin:
May cause skin irritation. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause defatting of the skin and dermatitis.
Ingestion:
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Inhalation:
Causes respiratory tract irritation.
Chronic:
Chronic exposure may cause lung damage.

Section 4
-
First Aid Measures
Eyes:

Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower
eyelids. Get medical aid.
Skin:
Flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get
medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Ingestion:
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If
conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Inhalation:
Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear. Support breathing as needed

http://www.chemistry.mcgill.ca/msds/msds/8042-47-5.pdf

TBTR,
Just in case you are unaware of what MSDS is:.

Search Results
A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is a document that contains information on the potential hazards (health, fire, reactivity and environmental) and how to work safely with the chemical product. It is an essential starting point for the development of a complete health and safety program.

Another paragraph in the never ending story of TBTR.

I have one just like it but a Siox, I hardly use it anymore but it comes in handy to grind points and angles.
good job on the restoration

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom