Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

anyone have problems with new tires and the pressure sensors?

Sharondippity

Corvette
2001 Torch Red Coupe
I'm on a budget, so I'm thinking of ordering my tires from Just Tires, down the street from me. Their prices are the cheapest I could find for the Michelin Pilot Sport run flats.

They don't seem too professional, however, and I'm leery to let them put my baby up on the rack...

So I was checking the knowlege base here and found this issue:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=281

Anyone run into this? Is it common?

Personally, if they aren't too professional, I wouldn't want them to work on my car. There have been too many threads about people messing those sensors up and they're so expensive! And the "techs" who mess them up don't want to be responsible for them.

What about ordering from Tire Rack and having a good shop install them? A shop that has experience dealing with the pressure sensors. Even with shipping and installation, you probably still come out ahead because local shops are quite expensive when it comes to the performance tires.

Edmond said:
Personally, if they aren't too professional, I wouldn't want them to work on my car. There have been too many threads about people messing those sensors up and they're so expensive! And the "techs" who mess them up don't want to be responsible for them.

What about ordering from Tire Rack and having a good shop install them? A shop that has experience dealing with the pressure sensors. Even with shipping and installation, you probably still come out ahead because local shops are quite expensive when it comes to the performance tires.

You know what, you're right, I called Wheel Works just down the street from them, and the difference in professionalism is night and day.

Just Tires said they didn't reset the sensors. My goodness, if all you do is tires, how could you not!!!

Wheel Works said they charge just $19 over tirerack.com which is spectacular. They were also much more professional. They do exotic cars etc, and have a better price.

I'll post my results, going down there right now to place a deposit since they don't have my tires in stock. They're ordering them shipped from Sacramento.

Sharondippity said:
Wheel Works said they charge just $19 over tirerack.com which is spectacular. They were also much more professional. They do exotic cars etc, and have a better price.

I don't think that's too bad. I know a lot of the places around here will charge a few more bucks for the 18" or larger but I don't know about the sensors because I don't have those in my car.

Are yours 17" or 18"?

$20 per tire is usually what they charge around here for most cars but it is less for the smaller cars that have the 15" or 16" tires.

And most places around here even include a lifetime balance and rotation service with installation.

Sharondippity said:
I'm on a budget, so I'm thinking of ordering my tires from Just Tires, down the street from me. Their prices are the cheapest I could find for the Michelin Pilot Sport run flats.

They don't seem too professional, however, and I'm leery to let them put my baby up on the rack...

That is mostly a crock of S...
The sensor transmits thru the valve stem ... not the body inside the tire. It uses the keyless entry system in the car. I have Never used the runcraps that come on the car ... sitting in the garage. I also don't use any other runcrap tire. A plug kit and a $25 12V aircompressor fits nicely in the rear compartment.

How may flats do you get anyway? Also, you have roadside service for 3 years ... free.

I use a BfGoodrich g-Force KDW tires and really like them. I have them on all 3 C6's with zero problems. About $850 a set delivered to your house from tirerack.

I watch the tire guy close. When he breaks the bead (assuming he has the proper machine) I have him hold it in and I remove the sensor myself. Then he dismounts the tire. Put new tire on and hold the bead in while I put the sensor back in myself. Don't over torque them either or snap they go.

Not expensive ~ $57 each. Problem is training them .... requires a special tool and only a few dealers have one.

Edmond said:
I don't think that's too bad. I know a lot of the places around here will charge a few more bucks for the 18" or larger but I don't know about the sensors because I don't have those in my car.

Are yours 17" or 18"?

$20 per tire is usually what they charge around here for most cars but it is less for the smaller cars that have the 15" or 16" tires.

And most places around here even include a lifetime balance and rotation service with installation.

I'm just getting the rears, they are down to the markers, and very loud.

The rears are 18. I have a little more tread on the fronts so I'm going to wait till I can afford them. Maybe a few months.

Vette Poor said:
How may flats do you get anyway? Also, you have roadside service for 3 years ... free.

I had one flat this year. Roadside service doesnt' interest me if I could drive myself off the road instead. My car is four years old, so I don't know what 3 year service you're referring to.

Sharondippity said:
I had one flat this year. Roadside service doesnt' interest me if I could drive myself off the road instead. My car is four years old, so I don't know what 3 year service you're referring to.

I think he was talking about the tires themselves and that you do get a certain roadside service period with the purchase of some tires. Or a replacement period and then a pro-rated period or something like that. Basically, it's so that people don't spend a buck fifty on a tire, something goes wrong with it the next week and they're SOL because S does happen.:L

Sharondippity said:

I've never heard of the type of tire used causing a problem with the sensors. I just had tires (Nitto 555's) installed by my Local (Simi Valley, CA.) America's Tire, and they did an excellent job. Just make sure they put the wheels in there original position on the car, and the sensors will work fine. Also, America's tire will match any price, internet, local dealer, etc.

The side that the wheel should be on is engraved inside of the rim, right? At least they are on my car and I would expect the same on the C5's.

I had Pilot Sport A/S ZP (runflats) installed on our 03 just a couple of months ago. Everything works just fine. There was no need to 'reset' the sensors.

I know that the GY F1 Steel tires (non-runflats) do not work with the sensors - something to do with the steel belting blocking the radio signal.

If you do not want the shop to damage the TSP, make sure the mechanics drops the sensor in the tire before removing the tires. Install new O ring for the sensors. And reinstall the sensor just before reinstalling the last tire side or wall to the rim. Not sure if I’m clear on the last step, but the point is to reinstall the TPS at the last possible steps.

Heres another .02 cents worth. Costco had the best price on the Pilot Sport Runflat. But they could not promise delivery in less than 7 days. Americas Tire not only matched the price, the had it delivered in 3 days from their Reno Warehouse. Once the Manager realized that this was from a 'vette, he did the work himself. I felt like an expectant father watching through the window. They were adamant about letting me in the garage. Nothing was done to the sensor and it read correctly when I mounted the wheel back on the baby. This reminds me, Costco owes me $10.00 for the deposit on the tire I never picked up!.
Regards,
Jeff

Edmond said:
The side that the wheel should be on is engraved inside of the rim, right? At least they are on my car and I would expect the same on the C5's.

I'm not sure if the rims are engraved ( I've never looked, to be honest). Just make sure they put the wheels back in the original position they were on the car before removal. That way, the sensors should not have to be re-programmed.

vette747 said:
If you do not want the shop to damage the TSP, make sure the mechanics drops the sensor in the tire before removing the tires. Install new O ring for the sensors. And reinstall the sensor just before reinstalling the last tire side or wall to the rim. Not sure if I’m clear on the last step, but the point is to reinstall the TPS at the last possible steps.

When my tires were recently installed, they removed the run-craps without removing the sensor. The tech started the tire removal process right at the point of the sensor, and worked his way around the rim away from the sensor, being very careful not to damage it. Old tires came off, the new ones went on, without ever touching the sensors!

Bills03Coupe said:
When my tires were recently installed, they removed the run-craps without removing the sensor. The tech started the tire removal process right at the point of the sensor, and worked his way around the rim away from the sensor, being very careful not to damage it. Old tires came off, the new ones went on, without ever touching the sensors!

I agree. The tech did it a few times without removing the sensors. But, I remove them most of the time since it takes only a few seconds. The best advice I can give is to remove them to make sure they will not be damaged.

Sharondippity said:

I had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport zp's installed by NTB this summer. They special ordered the tires and the installation was done by a mechanic with run-flat experience. No problems with the TPS system - works great. Also, the Michelins run a lot quieter than the Goodyear tires that were on the car.

Hi Sharon -

I am pretty sure that on a C5 you can program each wheel sensor through the DIC options -

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Press the DIC RESET button in order to clear any warning messages.
Press and release the OPTIONS button until the display is blank.
Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.
Press and release the OPTIONS button until TIRE TRAINING is displayed.
Press and release the RESET button and LEARN L FRONT TIRE is displayed, verifying the mode has been enabled.
Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the sensor activating tool (a big magnet...)
Starting at the left front sensor, hold a large magnet over the valve stem until a horn chirp sounds.
After the horn chirp sounds, proceed with the next 3 sensors in the following order:
Right front
Right rear
Left rear
Turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode.

Also here is a good link on what will happen to your wheels courtesy of the CAC knowledge base:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/runflat/index.html

best regards -

mqqn

Just had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP's installed this morning. Questioned the guy about how/where to jack the car, told him I didn't expect to have any problems with TP sensors, overall just getting a sense that they knew how to deal with Vettes and Run Flats.
Went back to pick up the car and had a FLAT RT FRT message.....monkeyed with ti for awhile and finallyt told him that I would check the service manual/CAC about re-learning and get back with them if it did not work. Advised that if a sensor was damaged it would be on their nickel, not mine.
After driving about 3 miles the problem cleared. Speed has to be above 15mph for the sensor to start sending tire press info to the system.
All's well that end's well......just hope I get more than 24k out of these tires!

Tire advice

Discount Tire will or beat a Tire Rack Quote in my area anyway. Buy the tires from Tire Rack/Discount Tire and have them shipped to your Chevy Dealership and they can install and set the moniter. If this has been writtem already sorry.

wwr

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom