Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Arghhhh

pasvorto

I had figured out why the reverse lockout wasn't working. The key that went into the the shifter and moved within the gear template was broken off. I couldn't find another one anywhere, so I had a local machinist make one. When I tried to put the unit back together, the new key would not fit into the slot in the shifter... Fotunately I have a bench grinder. I got it to fit. As I started putting the console back together, I noticed that the two towers on the heat control face (that the fan switch attachs to) were broken. Ordered a new one. A week later (yesterday) it arrived. I put everything back together. Now I know a need a new console plate. Where it attaches to the emergency brake console, there are two tabs with holes for the screws. One of my is broken off... I will replace it later (along with the EB console).

Got everything put back together. Evidently I am better than the engineers that designed it. I was able to complete the task and still have two screws left over :)

I did go to my interior screw set in order to get it back together. Nice to have the proper screws.

On the plus side, reverse lockout now works. Also, the fan switch now works!

On the downside, the radio doesn't work. Must have forgotten a connection in the mess of wires. I will attack that tonight. Also, the indicator next to the shifter that tells you what gear you are in...the indicator line is not there. I must have the neutral switch setup wrong. There is a tab on the shifter that goes into a hole in the neutral light unit. It must have come out on re-assembly. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

For the 1st time since I've owned it (a year), I was able to pull up the emergency brake handle. That may not seem like much to you, but it was HUGE to me. I have a few threads in the forum about a "binding" type sound coming from the rear. I thought that maybe I had just "freed" things up. It was not to be. When I got home last night, I still heard it as I went into the garage. I still believe the problem lies in the EB somewhere.

Another day, another fix. Now I know why I am not a mechanic.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom