Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 installing windshield glass into frame

You can just bairly make out the Blue numbers of 379 in the picture

the worst part is that on the wrapper these part were in was a name very simular to mine,I just assumed they mispelled my name on the wrappers.

Well, 379 would be the correct first 3 numbers of the part #. Looks like you got someone eles's parts!

Larry. That sucks. Who did the chrome? I would have a fit if that where me. So someone got a good part back and you wound up with this? Thats just not right.

Vette

I cant get angry or upset or allow a car build to bring stress into my life,once I do I would have to stop playing with cars.

Ultimitly I will have my original ones back on my car,

I am not going to name the plater I have used untill we get this worked out.I must give him the facts so he can get this straightened out.Nothing to me is worse then when someone publicly slanders a supplier on a web site only to black mail the person to get there way (Its happened to me with my own buisness) I am confident this is a minor mistake and it will be corrected immideately.

So right now it is a major inconveance,I was supposed to put my dash in,put my windsheild in and had an apointment to have my seats ,door panels,and convertable top put on this week,when I miss this apointment I have to wait to get another apointment.This mistake is really going to put me weeks behind trying to get another appointment with the apoulstry guy,

Speak to you soon

So am I the luckest guy you know?

Its been a long 25 hrs since it was confirmed these were definatley not mine,But I contacted the plater first thing this morning and he got right on it,I just got off the phone with him and he has mine in his hands and will ship them today!

so I amy be able to keep my appointment with the upoulstry guy with some real late nights

Some quick leasons learned here,

Take very detailed digital photos identifieying all of your parts that you may ship out to a rebuildier/replater.

He also had very detailed photos and was able to determin the same thing that I did.

And just think how easy putting that windshield together will be with your parts now that you did a practice run. I'm glad everything worked out and the plater got right on the problem.

Tom

mailmaninvette said:
Larry

With any luck they still your parts and they have not been shipped
yet . It sounds like it was a mistake in shipping and should be a
easy fix on their end and you should have your own parts.
You might work a deal that the parts could be sent (next day) .
If my retirement was based on the days that I did not make
a mistake I would still be working.

Roy

Thanks Roy

Roy if you get a chance please run thru my photo album of the car http://members19.clubphoto.com/lawrence748455/guest-1.phtml so far,All though I am way behind my schedule its still hard to belive its the same car we loaded on my trailer back on September 11th 2004,I have tried to email the seller several times and I have not heard from him,if you see him tell him I said hello and will mail him a photo when complete.
Thanks Again

Larry

Larry it must be your lucky day. Things don't usually work out that easy and that fast. I thought for sure you were in for a bit of a go around till you got your own pristine posts back. Happy days are here again!

You know Gary not to sound like a jerk,but when it comes to money I am very cheap,I am also a very demanding consumer,I want what I am due.I take alot of time in investagating a supplier or a sub contractor I will spend my hard earned money with. I just completely forgot why I chose this company,(for sure I am cheap but I spend my money wisely and never chose on best price I always chose on best value) after talking to the fellow and he reassured me he would handel it immediately,and took the time to tell me why he hoped I chose his company over his competitors,I was completely relaxed and remember why I chose the company and allthough I had a problem I knew it would be resolved and it was.

Thanks Again

Mac said:
Although this has been answered a couple of times (and a couple of ways) I'll throw my two cents in with a more technical name which might help when you're looking.

Dumdum is a common name used for butyl tape, a sealant used in a variety of applications. You can get it at most automotive supply stores, especially those who have autobody supplies. I like PPG butyl tape but there's a variety of different kinds available as well as a variety of different colours.

-Mac
Tom thanks, that really helps. Now I won't sound like a dum-dum when I go looking for the stuff :)

"dum-dum" is available at any auto paint store - just ask for 3M "Strip-Caulk"; Lowe's and Home Depot also have a similar product in a lighter color.
:beer

Well I finally got my original windsheild corner post back today.the driver side is perfect and the passenger side has its tab broken off because of careless packaging.

NOW I AM ANGRY.

IH2LOSE said:
Well I finally got my original windsheild corner post back today.the driver side is perfect and the passenger side has its tab broken off because of careless packaging.

NOW I AM ANGRY.

uh oh.......

Larry,

The good news is that the tab repair can be made without needing to rechrome the post again. They can just mill out the slot and tap for the mounting screws without damaging the visible chrome. This repair usually runs around $100 a post, If I remember right. Just take a chill pill and make the shipper or chrome shop make it right.

Regards, John McGraw

That's too bad. You would think that they would have been extra carefull with your parts since they messed up in the first place. I think if I have to replate anything on my 59 I'll just make the drive to the plater to drop them off and pick them up. All of these threads recounting problems with venders makes me afraid to let any of my parts out of my sight.

My posts, having been indoors since they were 10 years old :eyerole, are very nice and don't need replated. I think I'll go out and kiss them.

Hording is a virtue.
Tom

Well I am still angry that it was carelessly packaged.But again the plater has stepped up to the plate and has offered to find an original unbroken tabbed corner post to replace my broken one. I called around and was told that even if its repaired you cant see it once its installed he offered to pin and weld the broken tab back on for me in a hurry.

So I just nextday aired it to him for a Monday delivery.

So allthough I am ANGRY at the packers carelessness,The owner has stepped up to the plate again to make it right.there goes my plans for getting the car into the upoustry shop

Larry,

I would not pin the original part back on. I would only accept a correct tab repair. This means milling out a large bearing surface, and installing a new tab on that surface with screws. This repair will not show, and will be stronger than the original tab.

Regards, John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom