Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 installing windshield glass into frame

Thanks John I will call him on monday with that information.Or I can just insist on an original unbroken one.I have found one allready,

Larry, Sorry to hear about your broken tab. But at least the guy is willing to make it right without a fight. Doesn't help your lost time any but it is a small thing compared to some of the things that can go wrong with a major resto. project. Now I will be sure to document my windshield post before I send them out and give notice to the plater that they need special care and handling.

Sorry to hear about the tab problem Larry. But as others said it can be fixed or your plater says he'll replace it so maybe it's time for a cold beer and step back and just think about what's next when the part is done. You guys go through quite a few frustrating setbacks but always get through it. Not the first and unfortunately it won't be the last right? Hope you get time to relax with the family a bit this weekend and enjoy your Sunday morning visit with your Dad's friend.
Cheers Larry :beer

studiog said:
Larry, Sorry to hear about your broken tab. But at least the guy is willing to make it right without a fight. Doesn't help your lost time any but it is a small thing compared to some of the things that can go wrong with a major resto. project. Now I will be sure to document my windshield post before I send them out and give notice to the plater that they need special care and handling.

Remember I said it took me 2 hours to package mine for shipping.Well it must of taken someone 2 secounds to package mine when the sent them back.

I took cardboard and folded it once (horizontally) across the tab end so the carboard exstened atleast 4" past the tabs and tape it in place. I then took another long peice and folded it (verticly) up to the top and then back down to bottom and up again about 6" .(so that the windsheild corner post was entirely capsulated in carboard) I could have put a lable on it and it would have made it undamaged,I then wrapped the carboard capsule in bubble wrap and then shrink wrapped and put it in a large box (that I cut cardboard and laid on the floor of the box and the sides and top of the box to add another layer) with newpaper balled up to keep it from moving around. I would highly recomend the same to you. the schrink wrap I purchased from staples in a large roll and have hanging in my garage on a pole so I can easely just pull out the material and kinda like just twirl the parts in the wrap. All the rest of the packaging material I take out of our recycling dumpster at work.

Package them good.

I used to have a set of number punches and I used to punch the last 4 of my phone number in parts I shipped out.I am going to have to find that punch set again and start doing it when I ship out parts

Z28Canuck said:
Sorry to hear about the tab problem Larry. But as others said it can be fixed or your plater says he'll replace it so maybe it's time for a cold beer and step back and just think about what's next when the part is done. You guys go through quite a few frustrating setbacks but always get through it. Not the first and unfortunately it won't be the last right? Hope you get time to relax with the family a bit this weekend and enjoy your Sunday morning visit with your Dad's friend.
Cheers Larry :beer

I am used to set backs.Actually I know its all part of the building exsperiance,But this one just "ticked me off" because it was 100% avoidable. You know my Dad always says theres NO such thing as an axcedent there are only acts of stupidity, what made me angry is some ones lazyness (in packaging ) is causing me this trouble.And that some one is probably home enjoying his week end with out a care in the world,and me who trys to do every thing right and plan a head, am going to miss and impossible appointment to get again for the upoustry shop,That what I am angry about.

And it may sould crazy but I relax working on my car,this one has been the most stress free car I think I have ever done.(actually my wife says I say that about every car I build)

So yea Ill get over it,and life is good.

Yeh, I know what you mean and I understand how upsetting it is with your tight schedules trying to get this back on track. It's a lot more upsetting when someone does something wrong through neglect or lack of caring and it causes you the hardship and /or expense and frustration to fix it. It's different when it's your own mistake and it only affects you due to ones own error. I forgot about the upholstery appointment that it compromised too. Again, sorry about the setback and hopefully your upholstery people will be understanding and work with you. Like you said when someone does these avoidable acts of carlessness it can set you back , in some cases, days or weeks and they have no clue what plans they have compromised for the sake of taking a minute longer and thinking about doing their job right the first time. Enjoy Sunday and it sounds like a neat morning for your son too.
Take care Larry.

Larry,

Go ahead and take it to the upholstery shop. He does not need the windshield in to do any of what he will do. As a matter of fact, the windshield must be out to put in the dash pad anyway. Make sure that he leaves all the extra material on the windshield side of the pad, I allways like to make sure that the dash pad vinyl actually is captured under the rear edge of the windshield rubber body gasket. the vinyl will shrink over time and will show if not left long. Take a heat gun and form the extra material over the edge down into the channel tha the gasket sits in. I missed the second appointment to get my carpet done, and am still waiting to get it in.
Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
Larry,

Go ahead and take it to the upholstery shop. He does not need the windshield in to do any of what he will do. As a matter of fact, the windshield must be out to put in the dash pad anyway. Make sure that he leaves all the extra material on the windshield side of the pad, I allways like to make sure that the dash pad vinyl actually is captured under the rear edge of the windshield rubber body gasket. the vinyl will shrink over time and will show if not left long. Take a heat gun and form the extra material over the edge down into the channel tha the gasket sits in. I missed the second appointment to get my carpet done, and am still waiting to get it in.
Regards, John McGraw

John

I was doing the dash pad.(I decided against the leather because of the seems) and he was supposed to do the hartz top,door panels/and seats.

Windshield - Posts

I see this thread is a year old, and maybe lost to all. But thanks to everyone for all the information. This is an "up-coming" project of mine (likely winter) so it's all usefull.
Can anyone give me an idea of the cost to re-chrome the 2 windshiled posts? I think tab repairs are about $80 each so outside of that cost, what's the going price for re-chroming these posts?

Thanks.

Hal

Toy4Hal said:
I see this thread is a year old, and maybe lost to all. But thanks to everyone for all the information. This is an "up-coming" project of mine (likely winter) so it's all usefull.
Can anyone give me an idea of the cost to re-chrome the 2 windshiled posts? I think tab repairs are about $80 each so outside of that cost, what's the going price for re-chroming these posts?

Thanks.

Hal
Had mine done last year and I think they were somewhere in the range of $125-200. You'd be surprised how the quotes can vary, even among the higher quality shops.

Was that $125 - $200 each or for the pair?

Thanks.

Hal.

ok...here I am trying to get this windshield together.....

and I am not a happy camper. I am trying to get the lower molding on and you need to get the inner and outer lower molding on at that the same time. That lower channel with the outer modling in place just does not want to go on over the rubber molding.....suggestions? I am using a dead blow hammer and a piece of 2x4 since I don't want to smash the outer SS molding......GRRRRRRRR :bash

ok...that didnt work.....split an edge right off the windshield.....now wasnt that fun!

1962 windshield assembly

anyone: I am puting my windshield and frame together and have used some of the methods ya'll have been discussing. Working well so far. I might have made a mistake durring assembly. I used k-y jelly not soap to allow ease of assembly, it went so well that i'm wondering now that the frame might tend to pull apart in the future. Any comments?
Dave h

anyone: I am puting my windshield and frame together and have used some of the methods ya'll have been discussing. Working well so far. I might have made a mistake durring assembly. I used k-y jelly not soap to allow ease of assembly, it went so well that i'm wondering now that the frame might tend to pull apart in the future. Any comments?
Dave h

WOW I completely forgot about that whole fiasco. A person has to be dedicated to undertake a restoration

Now on to your question.

I wonder if you just use Dawn soap if it would cut thru all of the lube. or some plain old denatured alcohol, Well welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

thanks, i'm willing to use anything to get rid of the k-y. I took the clamps off and it seems pretty solid, i just don't want to takeit apart and start all over again.
Dh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom