Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Questions

V

VetpEtte

I own 91 Vette Coupe. I have a few problems that I hope some of you could help me out with.

1. It runs extremely hot. It can go from 160- 250 in a short period of time at idle. The fans turn on at about 230 or so, they keep it stable but do not bring it down much. When going fast the temp goes down again, but then at idle maybe at a stop-light it just repeats itself and gets hot again.

2. Bose Stereo CD Player/Cassette Player which came stock with the car needs to be repaired. Someone told me that the speakers have built-in Amplifiers. I believe that the rear speakers have been blown out. Do I have to replace the whole speaker/amplifier setup or jus one or the other. Are there any websites that you can purchase the system from? CD Player is also disfunctional.

3. I have been going back and forth on the idea of exhaust vs. cut-outs. Anyone have any suggestions on either getting cut-outs with tips, or jus go all out with a Flowmaster Cat-back System.

4. Throttle Body Bypass? yes or no?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. I appreciate any help I can get.

Allo!

1.) When was the last time you flushed your system? (did you use any other additives?) what type of oil you you use?

2.) There are Bose repair services, some people here have redone theres. If you'd like to pull the system to go aftermarket I can help you further

3.) the cat backs are sweet but everyone has there preference (I use Dynomax with a "Y" pipe

4.) Yes if you live in a warmer climate No if you live in Alaska LOL

Hope that helps ya, someone with a LT1 will help you Np this is a great site.

1. If the fans come on at 230 that is correct. As suggested above I would flush system and also clean outside of radiator. It takes awhile but you would not believe the stuff that can accumulate over the years.
2. I would suggest replacing Bose system at this point. To much time and money to repair. I will stay with mine as long as it works but once it goes it will be replaced.
Hope this helps,Guy

Do not overlook the water pump. I had a similar problem.
Even though the pump didn't show any external signs of trouble,
It was the only variable left in the equation.

yeah listen to spy

had the same problem with my 85 it was the water pump
had no signs of external

I can help with #1. Clean out the debris between the radiator and A/C condensor. As stated you would be surprised at the "stuff" in there. Do this first and see if it is any better. Most likely it will be.

I'll chime in on number 3 for ya. The FlowMaster catback system is very inexpensive when you compare it to the other catbacks out there. Is it because it's inferior in quality? No, quite a few of the other catback systems out there are made of stainless such as Borla and Corsa. That's the main reason why they cost so much more.

I guess it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your exhaust system. Every car is really situational and no general rules really apply to everyone, except for the wave.

engine temp

I can offer you some insight. I have a 92 lt1. I had the same problem as you have described. I opted to go with a Hypertech stage 2 chip and the 160 deg. stat that Hypertech recomended. Problem solved. :) My car is much happier in the warmer weather. :) LOL :w ___ John

Just had Corsa system installed on my 96 LT1. Couldn't be happier. Excellent sound but not extreme until you jump on it. Then I just sit back and smile.

Is this true?

I was just thinking about it and wondered: Wouldn't an exhaust system less restrictive than stock also let the car run cooler since there isn't as much backpressure?

Can help with problem #1

I have been having similar problems and I am going for my first test drive here in about an hour to see if I have solved it. So far I ran the car for 200 miles with radiator flush, have installed a second fan (84 only had one), took out radiator and COMPLETELY cleaned between all the fins (did this to condensor too, what a pain). Put that Pro-Blend 40 below additive in there and fresh water.

I took it down to the Burger King and with the A/C off it actually cooled down at an idle. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. So I am pretty sure things are good. I also think the A/C compressor and/or clutch is going out because I had the hood up and noticed how noisy it was when it was on. Its pulling alot of load but I am confident that my cooling problems are over. Also, My fans are both wired to run all the time right now.

In my opinion 230 is way too hot, regardless of what the "books" tell us. I don't feel comfortable going above 215. I will let you know after the test drive today if it was successful!!

I was hoping that was the case but in traffic it still hits about 220 - 225. No real difference on the road.

Here is what I did to fix the high temp problems on a 91:

I have one other suggestion, you may need to remove the radiator to really check it for blocked fins. My car came from an area close to the beach in Long Island and my car would run right up to about 230 even at cooler outside temps. I took it apart to clean the radiator and found very little paper and stuff in the shroud, and the radiator looked clean, but when I pulled the radiator out and looked through it was at least 60 percent blocked up with beach sand. Compressed air and even water did not remove the sand, I ended up pushing most of it out with a thin piece of metal. I should have just replaced the radiator but thought they were real expensive, but they are not too bad. I also had my chip reprogrammed to have both the fans come on at 180 and off at 170 and installed a 160 thermostat. The result is my temp gauge now does not even make it to half way (there are no numbers on 1991 gauge) even in 90 degree outside temps with the air on. So if your car has been run where there is sand I would pull the radiator and make sure all the fins are clear and straight.

I also did the TB bypass at the same time the radiator was out, I ran a new piece of 5/8 heater hose from the intake manifold right to the heater core, this way there was no splice in the hose. Piece of cake.

I still have my stock exhaust.

I still have my stock Bose stereo.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom