Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4's price's dropping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Rain, absolutely stunning car! The gold on the rotors sets off the chrome wheels and adds just the right contrast to the black:upthumbs ! I was thinking, probably shouldn't do that, that the C4's will have to wait their turn on the value scale. I mean when I got my 72 Lt-1 A/C t-top in 1977 the value of the car in the NY area was back to almost it's selling price new. I think the fact of what the emissions laws did to the performance of the vettes after about 73 had alot to do with price protection on the older C3's. Also the fact performance cars looked dead to most everyone. By the time the C4's had been sorted by GM you just had to convince people the power was back,esp. after the debacle of the late 70's & early 80's. I also think that the debacle was the motivating factor behind the LT-5, new LT-1, LT-4, and so on. Technology & it's serious application to yield clean hot rods was probably received with a bit of dis-belief by the 'die hards'. I think mostly due to the electronic nature of the cars old hot roders were sticking with what they knew. Also, what you don't understand you are less likely to want to play with. Referring to the electronics necessary to meet smog laws. I know when I decided it was financially okay for me to consider a vette, my 1st thought was a 68 - 73 cause I knew the car's systems ( or lack there of ). It took me awhile to get confortable with the thought of buying an 'electronic' car. Since I'm a baby boomer and didn't grow up with computers I felt more comfortable without having them in my corvette. I belive that this is some of what drives the prices of the steel bumper sharks and keeps the C4's value down. I also think that most non-mechanics ( like me ) think that early versions of electronic systems are not refined enough to be reliable, mechanically. You can't deny that the boomers are a vast block of buyers. If some of them want a vette they might tend toward something they feel comfortable fixing from a back yard point of view. I feel that the only way I will not be at the mercy of my new car's electronics is to learn those systems somehow. Sounds stupid but If your holley on the LT-1 ain't right just rebuild it. If your TPS ain't working first ya gotta learn how to know it's the TPS before you can fix it. It's re-learning how to diagnose a new system that is somewhat intimidating to most back yard people. As the video game generation gets to the position of affording the vette I think C4's & later generation vettes will be their nostalgic & comfort level choices. JMHO Tom

76L82 said:
What's this thing about value??? I haven't made a dime on my 401k in three years...yet I have been throwing money at it hand over fist! (lol) The only beloved distraction I have are my toys. As that goes, neither will be seen in the car magazines (although the 70 SS could have a shot) so I have never looked at these things as having investment value whatsoever...just the fun value!

That being said, I own a C3 and absolutely love the C4's...after all, it is a Vette isn't it!! I have been trying to read all the C4 postings so that I can to sort out which one I am going to get when I sell the 70 SS. I certainly don't want to anger the C4 crowd but when the prices go down it does get a lot more new Vette lovers able to keep these cars going.
The ironic thing about vette's are that you should enjoy them . The investment objective should be secondary. People are buying vette's as investment hedges. Some of these people don't know a fuel injector from a catalytic converter. They ruin the hobby for the purist's.
When I bought my C3, 30+ years ago, you could by a solid axle or C2 for $500- $3500. They were just used cars. I had people tell me after about 5 years of ownership -" you're car will never appreciate or be of desire". Look at the C3's now. Classic cars are like real estate, good product over time will always appreciate. You have to know what you wqnt and enjoy it . Even the pro's guess wrong. Objects of desire are meant to be enjoyed- no more or less.

This is why!

Love this topic, since it is why I am on the board in the first place. I always dreamed of a Vette but figured it may just stay unattainable. But then I looked at the prices and saw that it was well within my reach. I ended up with a beautiful black 84 with a MINT interior , excellent exterior and the guts which need only minor work (well, right now anyways!). In the end I got this car for just under 5K. So, I asked myself -- how the hell can I lose? I can't even buy a new snowmobile for that $$ for God's sake!
In the end, if the value rises I might sell and "trade up". If the value stays the same I have lost nothing. And if the value drops I keep a nice Vette in my garage for a long time paying $300 per year in insurance. Vrooom baby!!!

<<< BIG FAT GRIN >>>
:D

I'm in the camp of " what else can ya buy for the $ that is so much fun " ?? I agree if you buy a vette as an investment then I guess you have a ZL-1 or a ZR-1 or ZR-2 or a similar car. I think the rest of us just try to find the best car for our budget and take the smiles per mile as the dividend! I know unless I hit lotto I'm never going to have a new vette or a " rare & valuable " vette. I just want a vette cause they are great for the head,not the investment portfolio. I would count it as a bonus if the car holds it's value and in the end you had fun for very little $, relatively speaking. I still feel that a buyer's mechanical comfort level has a lot to do with buying choice on the used market, at least for me it does. I want to have fun with the car but I also want to know I can diagnose it if I have to. I want to be able to take care of it properly so I can use it. I'm not saying that most used vettes are not valuable, I just question the whole investment idea. Tom

Okay, that's it! I'm going C4 shopping today--and I'm bringing Nova with me--she'll either distract them from their price, or make'em want to keep the 'vette...

When I bought my C3 (with 69k miles), the previous owner had been storing it for 10 years while waiting for his soon to turn 16. The kid turned 16 and wanted a new Mustang instead of 'some old Corvette'. The previous owner was actually crying when he signed the title over to me--I had to give him annual visitation rights.

I'm sorry for the kid--he just didn't realize that girls just wanna have fun--and nothing says 'fun' like a Corvette. No matter what year it is! In all honesty I bet everyone on the board would love to have any (and every!) year Corvette made.

Well, checkbook in hand; it's off to join the C4 ranks...

Good Luck photovette!!! I just took the plunge after 19 yrs of being vetteless and nothing cures what ails ya like a vette. Even the task of NYS DMV paperwork and the strain of dealing with getting it shipped could erase the grin completely. Tom:D

Being vetteless is like having baggy drawers--you just can't ever be comfortable!

I feel that I acquired my C4 at rock bottom on the price scale. Even though I had to dump about $1k into it to get it road worthy at this point I think I could sell it and still make a profit but I didn’t buy it as an investment. Every day I just can’t help but to gaze at it and say “Damn! I finally have a Vette” That feeling is priceless.

KCBH What to Pay??

Photovette

Stop posting those pic's because every time l pass them l have to stop and take a peek and then l forget what l was doing!

Yes, l'm weak!

Answering KCBH's question on the 95/96Lt-1. There is a big difference between the years in question. All l know is when l go through parts catalogs the 96 seems to be a year by itself.

It happens to be the best C4 year that was put out by GM.

The the rattles are gone mainly because they glued panels together, funny but true. The brakes are larger, tranny smoother, l cannot tell the difference but it's in print. There is a lot under the hood that is plain different.
If you really want to know all of the differences start a new thread.

Now as far as paying all that money for a vette from a dealer with all of those miles, the anwer is as follows.

The dealer either picked it up on auction, which l doubt because of the miles or received it as a trade.

On auction it's a $6000/7000 car at best in fantastic condition. On a trade which is difficult to guess but l would bet he only valued it at $7500. Keep in mind that he has to clean it up, check it out and carry it until it is sold. And l almost forgot the commission to the salesperson.

The mileage is too high anywy unless you have the knowledge and equipment and money to fix it.

As far as the mileage, stay under 60,000 miles and buy it from a private party so you can see who cared and drove it before. Car-Fax is important and bring a mechanic and better yet bring it to a dealer to check out.
Do not look to save because you will save a dime and then lose a quarter.
Everything in the vette is not cheap to replace, weatherstriping, seats, carpeting, tires and this is what you can see!

At 60,000 miles and in excellent condition the 95 should be $13,000 to $13,500, the 96 $20,000 only kidding, $14,000 to $15,000. These price's are for 95/96 Lt-1's coupes Auto with no more then 50,000 miles.

Now depending where you live these price's could be a lttle higher or lower. I haave no idea how big the vette market is in St. Louis!

I am hopeing to add another C4 to my clan..... a 94/95 Zr1 in Blue, most likely next year as it is December 12. then it is on to add C5s. I am not buying them for investment, I like driveing vettes, I like looking at vettes, and I have no plans to sell them. all vettes are cool.

I am going to go look at a 96 Black/black 58k miles, electronic air, power sport buckets and Bose gold for the asking price of $15k. The guy bought it online five months ago and wants the "garage space" for other toys. He said he ran a car fax on it and it was clean.

By talking with him on the phone he sounds like a lead foot. He said he never noticed the 1 to 4 shift that the tranny does on a normal takeoff. I would think you could tell this pretty easy but I have never had one so maybe I am wrong.

BTW- Thanks for the response to my post.

KCBH

Oh yeah ... the guy also told me that he lowered the read end of the vette by moving some bolts around. He said the car now sits level.

What's up with that?

KCBH

Ken said:
I don't care how low C4 prices drop - no one's gettin' mine cheap! :L
exactly Ken! 1 year after i bought mine i asked my insurance company how much it was worth if it got totalled. it was 1/2 price of what i bought it :cry i'll never sell it! too fun to drive :D

i see there is the blue book market and buyers market. to a buyer i could probably get 10k blue book value is 6k :(

so if you buy these cars or any american late model muscle car for an investment, your wasting your money IMO. drive them, have fun with them, enjoy them, and then MOD away :upthumbs

I just bought my first Vette a week ago Saturday ( an 89 coupe ). Prior to that I had only driven a rented C5 ZO6. In my opinion,there is no way to justify the extra $10K to $15K I would have had to spend to buy a C5. The C4 is tremendous bang for the buck!

this past fall i purchest a torch lt4 black int.all documentation from day 1. new water pump new f1's as mint as a car could be with 37000 on it. a cream puff. it is the exact car i was looking for 20 miles from my house. i paid 18500 to mutch? maby i could be still looking or chasing around the country looking for a better deal . i thought about a c5 for the same money. it would have more than 2x the miles mine has. every day driver plus i don't like the way thay look. i feel lucky i found this car. settle for less get less.

redvette6spd said:
this past fall i purchest a torch lt4 black int.all documentation from day 1. new water pump new f1's as mint as a car could be with 37000 on it. a cream puff. it is the exact car i was looking for 20 miles from my house. i paid 18500 to mutch? maby i could be still looking or chasing around the country looking for a better deal . i thought about a c5 for the same money. it would have more than 2x the miles mine has. every day driver plus i don't like the way thay look. i feel lucky i found this car. settle for less get less.
sounds like a fair price to me.... Corvettes in general have values that are mileage based. 37k is low, and it sounds like it is in great shape. Just be warned, since value is based mostly on miles, the more you drive it the less it will be worth:(

Vettelt193 said:
sounds like a fair price to me.... Corvettes in general have values that are mileage based. 37k is low, and it sounds like it is in great shape. Just be warned, since value is based mostly on miles, the more you drive it the less it will be worth:(

Very true! However, the less your drive it, the less :D you'll have! :L

The '84 'vette search goes on; the two I looked at yesterday were a bit ratty on the inside--been there done that. I think the best way to shop sensibly for a Corvette is to already own a Corvette; it gives you the patience to shop around--knowing you already have one in the garage!

"Stop posting those pic's because every time l pass them l have to stop and take a peek and then l forget what l was doing!

Yes, l'm weak!"

Let it be known that the models I post images of have to meet three criteria as follows: 1. Have to love Corvettes. 2. Have wanted to pose by (or on) my C3. 3. Have to have pleaded with me long enough that I let them drive my 'vette. So, don't think of them as models, think of them as future Corvette Action Center Forum Members. Little do their future husbands know, but I have greatly paved the way for their future Corvette ownership. Mine is a noble mission.

122460_m_C8F7CB9F-0F4B-6E0D-1ADABFDAD75E61CD.jpg

Edmond said:
Very true! However, the less your drive it, the less :D you'll have! :L
I know!

I used to have a 'daily driver' to keep the miles off my vette, but I realized I was dumb... I bought it to drive, just like I drove my other vettes... Now my 'vette is my daily driver again. If I wanted something to look at, I wouldn't have paid for the engine. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom