Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Recall

C

chevyc5

Dear all,
I'm writing from Italy and I'm also member of the ItaliaCorvetteClub(www.corvetteforum.it) , I would like to get some info about an official recall for all the c5 97/04 (manual and automatic) concerning the Steering Wheel Lock System.
Here in Europe, excpet for few articles on specialized magazine,nobody is available to give more info, and due to the fact GMEurope is not longer involved in the sales/assistence to Vette's customer we are in a real mess.....
Is there somebody available to let me/us know who to contact or where to collect such info and confirmation.
Only in our Club more than 50 are c5.
Thanks in advance to everybody for the cooperation
regards
chevyc5

chevyc5 -- I am wondering about the recall too. However, my vette is covered under a different system than yours. If I find out anything I will let you know.

Sorry I missed the Corvette Italia meet but my car had other ideas.

Just had my vette in for service and they said there was no recall on my car. A little weird. Guy said if there is one i ll be getting a letter in the mail. Whatever im confused!

-Andy

Hello corvette owners around the world.

There is a recall, I got my letter yesterday and sent for a refund since i already had it fixed.

There is more information on this website do a find for recall and you will find it.

good luck :)

Just received my letter last Friday.....
I purchased mine used last September.

Just passing it on

Mike

Out of curiousity, the letters ya'll received was it specific to your car or did it identify a range of VINs, etc.?

It turns out that the NHTSA site I posted above is not VIN specific (I spits out any recall on a model and year, although only some vehicles in that model/year may be affected). Anyway, a better way to find out if your Corvette is affected is to register at the GM owners site and input your VIN https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/chevrolet/home) or call Chervrolet at 1-800-222-1020

Hope this is helpful!:)

The letter I have has my VIN number on it. There is a Chevy Customer Assistance Center number you can call 1-800-630-2438. Try calling them.

I wish there was a recall on the rocking seat problem I have!!!!!!!!! Oh well

Thanks and good luck.

Ipurchased my 98 last November used. No letter yet.

Got my 2004 in January. Only a few months old and now a recall. Oh brother! No letter yet.

Its a mod to the harness-

The recall is basically a small section of the harness responsible for actuating the lock mechanism. It only takes about 2 hours or so to replace the connecters.

My interpretation- If you read All Corvettes Are Red, you'll find that GM went through a lot of pain with parts from contracts that didn't live up to their end of the bargain. Noisy fuel pumps, hood hinges not to spec, parts not lining up from amnufacturer, etc..... I could go on all day. That is the greatest drawback to lowest bidder contracting... you may not get what you wanted as corners are cut for cost. The harness and steering lock are just another example of the same problem. Its not the car- GM stands behind it firmly with the recalls- its the sub-conracts.

katiesteve said:
It turns out that the NHTSA site I posted above is not VIN specific (I spits out any recall on a model and year, although only some vehicles in that model/year may be affected). Anyway, a better way to find out if your Corvette is affected is to register at the GM owners site and input your VIN https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/chevrolet/home) or call Chervrolet at 1-800-222-1020

Hope this is helpful!:)
KatieSteve,
A note on this owners center: I just joined in an effort to determine if my Z06 is affected by any recalls. I ended up having to call their number (1.866.6MY.LINK) because when I attempted to establish my profile, it kept kicking out the VIN number I entered. Apparently, this site is set up from a database separate and apart from the GM side of things, and they do not always provide full accessibility to VINs from the GM side to the Owner Link side. I'm working to get that resolved. The good news is, at least according to the person I spoke with, my Z06 is not affected by this or any recall.

-Patrick

I want to thank you all for this discussion over the past few weeks. I was talking to a freind of mine today and he told me about having his 97 C5 steering lock up in a parking lot and having to have it towed to the Chevy dealer for repair.

I told him about the recall that I read about here and his mouth dropped open. He said the dealer charged him $475.00 to fix his steering lock last week. I told him they should have known about it and sent him the NHTSA link as well as this link.
I think I just earned a free lunch!:) Thanks to you!

Pete.

chevyc5 said:
Dear all,
I'm writing from Italy and I'm also member of the ItaliaCorvetteClub(www.corvetteforum.it) , I would like to get some info about an official recall for all the c5 97/04 (manual and automatic) concerning the Steering Wheel Lock System.
Here in Europe, excpet for few articles on specialized magazine,nobody is available to give more info, and due to the fact GMEurope is not longer involved in the sales/assistence to Vette's customer we are in a real mess.....
Is there somebody available to let me/us know who to contact or where to collect such info and confirmation.
Only in our Club more than 50 are c5.
Thanks in advance to everybody for the cooperation
regards
chevyc5
have your dealer pull up on his computer bulletin # 04006A dated july 26 2004 for all the info needed.

wishuwerehere82 said:
I want to thank you all for this discussion over the past few weeks. I was talking to a freind of mine today and he told me about having his 97 C5 steering lock up in a parking lot and having to have it towed to the Chevy dealer for repair.

I told him about the recall that I read about here and his mouth dropped open. He said the dealer charged him $475.00 to fix his steering lock last week. I told him they should have known about it and sent him the NHTSA link as well as this link.
I think I just earned a free lunch!:) Thanks to you!

Pete.
I got the steering lock problem two weeks after buying the car. Corvettes of Dallas sells a bypass box that corrects the problem forever by never allowing the wheel to lock at all. However my problem was that the steering selenoid plug doesn't connect very well and works it's way lose.

Richard.

Second Corvette Recall

FYI.

I used the NHTSA.DOT link previously posted to inquire on 2004 Corvettes and came up with a second recall. This one involves the steering linkage. No one had mentioned it so I figured I would post it as an FYI.

Steering Lock

I just checked the Recall status of my 2004 at MY GM LINK and it says there are no open recalls on my car. However, my steering has never locked. Has it been disabled by the factory?? Hmmmm.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom