Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway experts in here...

boostedmaxPSI

Corvette
'92 SNAT435 Yellow aerobody 'vert // 1988 #57 B2K
What is the most boost you've been able to push thru the smaller wonderbar with catalytic converters. It seems that all I can manage is 51". I was pulling a little more without the cats.

When I put the cats on my boost dropped to about 47" so I've been slowly turning up the boost and all I can muster up with 100+ degree heat is 51"

Did you think that I've exceeded the wonderbar's capable flow rate? or should be able to see a little more?

Thanks for the insight...:upthumbs

Not a boost expert however, my red car makes 54hg's w/ the stock wonderbar and stock exhaust.

Callaway Cars does have the big bar in stock for your car - I heard it takes between 6 to 12 hrs, depending on skill, breaks, etc. to install :cool

Thanks Chris. Then either the heat is the culprit or I have a leaky wastegate. I really think it's the heat given I was pulling 54" with the cats off.

thanks for the quick reply.

As for the wonderbar. Looks like my '68 is going to a new home next Friday and my wife has been on me about that Aerobody kit for the '88 :)

Frank

I agree that it should have little to nothing to do w/ heat :cool

Looking forward to seeing the AeroBody - maybe you could get a set of Sledgehammer extractors - my black 89 was supposed to have gotten them along w/ the AeroBody - sadly, the car has neither :(

Enjoy!

My testing has ceased until I get my Microfueler back from Callaway. I had been using Shopview's to help tune the car in.

Do you have the allen head screws turned all the way in?

Its probably not a wastegate leak, if it were you'd be over boosting. I had one that leaked and the boost bled off the line so the valve wouldn't open up.

You could always pull the vaccum/boost line off the plenum(the one that runs to the wastegates, it runs to a hard line that goes behind the motor, youve probably seen it) and go for a very very cautious drive and see how much boost you make without the gates opening up. If you still don't make much boost ie dunk it to 60" or head that direction then you have a boost leak somewhere between the turbo and the intake manifold. :beer

Thanks for the reply Josh.

As for the allen head, only have it about half way. I started slowly adjusting the wastegate with one full turn on each wastegate, which wasn't getting me anymore boost. So, I started doing 2 full rotations on the allen head. I'm just over 50" maybe 51" at the top of second gear and that's it. I haven't pulled 3rd yet, not enough room :)

How far did you turn your wastegate allen screws in? More then half? Almost flush to the locking nut?

I've seen the hard line for the wastegate vacuum but I haven't traced it yet to see where it goes. I'll do that when my microfueler comes back from Callaway. They confirmed what I thought all along. The pressure switch was bad. A $22 part. I wonder what I'm going to get charged :( I should have replaced it myself and then tested it before sending it to them. Oh well.

If you have detailed pictures of your '88's wonderbar installed I would like to see what it looks like and if you have any diagrams on the vacuum line from the wastegate that would be appricated as well.

Thanks again for the help. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom