Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway Shifter Knob Install

1badzr1

Corvette
1990 ZR1 # 203 Red - CR1 Callaway Supernatural 490
Need help, can some one give me directions on how to remove the existing stock shifter knob and installing the Callaway Shifter. The Callaway shifter looks like it just screws on but the Stock one I cannot figure it out. I really don't want to take it to the dealer for this.

I just received the Callaway Supernatural Floormats and Cargo mat, they sure look sweet.

Thanks
1BADCR1
Ben

Ben you take the top of the shift knob off the center section with the numbers should lift up . Then I believe there is a wedge in there that has to be pulled out and then you can take the rest of the shift knob off. I can not remember if it unscrews off it has been a long time since I did it. Real easy should take about 10 minutes Good Luck

...in the winter, I added a shift-knob cover ;-)

Ben, here is how I did mine:

I hope this helps :beer

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42359&highlight=shift+knob

Here is the step by step process for installing a shift knob on a ZF6 speed equipped C4 - The Callaway knob shortens the overall height and is more comfortable (except in the scorching heat and freezing cold although, my solution to theat is to use one of my baby's socks over it ;) )

Here is the process w/ pic's :v :beer

***********Disclaimer - this process is written for informational purposes only, no guarantees are intended or implied and a lot of this process depends upon YOUR mechanical skills. Myself, & the CAC cannot be held responsible for loss or damage, due to anything contained within this thread. It may include omissions or clarity needed for someone to do the job - use at your own discretion.*****
attachment.php

Step 1 - gently pop the top shift pattern plate off w/ a flat blade screw driver - I used extreme caution w/ respect to the leather by masking it w/ a piece of electric tape...
attachment.php

step 2 :

Once the top plate is off, a "wedge" is exposed. You will need to gently work it loose - I used needle nose pliers and worked AWAY FROM MYSELF as some are loose, some are tough as nails to remove :eek
attachment.php

step 3 - here is a shot of the removal of the wedge - be careful & work AWAY from yourself!!!
attachment.php

step 4

Now that the shift knob "wedge" has been pulled out, unscrew the stock knob by turning counter clockwise - about a dozen turns will do it...
attachment.php

Step 5:

line up the threads on the new Callaway Shift knob and insert on the shifter.
attachment.php

step 6:

turn the new knob clockwise until the knob is tight - logo should line up :)
attachment.php

Closeup of the logo :

:upthumbs

attachment.php

The finished look - As you can see, the knob sits lower on the shifter and that is why it "feels" like a shorter shift :D

attachment.php

Thanks guys - Josh, do you have one on your B2K??

Here is a pic of the shifter "cover" ;)

attachment.php

Thanks Guys it took me exactly 2minutes to complete.:D I cannot beleive I paided 45 dollers to the Dealer in 95 to have me shifter put on in my 95 ZR1. :mad

Cheers:beer
1BADCR1
Ben

I guess yours was easy if it took 2 mins. But if not, you can dremel down that "T" piece a little bit. Mine was a huge pain to remove and to sit back in. I cleaned it up and shaved it down just a tad and now it drops in easy as pie, but still keeps the knob from rotating at all.

My car came with one of those "ZR-1" engraved T-handles, so I put the original back on, and eventually put in a new original as my "original" original was pretty rough from the way it was stored. So having had to remove and re-insert that thing a few times I decided to make it easier on myself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom