Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Can the Under-hood Lights be Temporarily Disconnected?

91-Vetteman

Corvette
1991 Blue Coupe
With 16 inches of snow on the ground, my car is not leaving the garage anytime soon. One of my winter projects will be cleanup and detailing of the engine bay. I was wondering if there was a simple way to turn off the courtesy lights under the hood which come on when you lift the hood. I know you can disconnect the battery, but I was looking for something easier. I have not done a real thorough search, but maybe I could override the switch that senses the hood is up. Does anyone know where that switch is? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Late C4's have a fuse in the left front nose area just above the side marker light. I think this fuse was put there in 89 or 90. I know my '92, '93, and '96 had the fuse.

Anyway, open the hood, check the wiring harness above, around the left side marker light and look for a black fuse housing. Pop open the housing and pull the fuse. The under hood lights go out. Close the housing and everything looks normal.

If you follow the wiring down from the bulbs, there's a plug-in connector on each side for the lights. Just un-plug them. That's what I do at car shows where the hood might be up all day.

If you follow the wiring down from the bulbs, there's a plug-in connector on each side for the lights. Just un-plug them. That's what I do at car shows where the hood might be up all day.

For an early C4, that is the way to go if you don't install a cutoff switch.

Again, for late C4's, the fuse in the left front nose above, around the side marker light provides one place to shut down the under hood lights without leaving any wiring loose.

For an early C4, that is the way to go if you don't install a cutoff switch.

Again, for late C4's, the fuse in the left front nose above, around the side marker light provides one place to shut down the under hood lights without leaving any wiring loose.

Ah. My bad. I didn't realize they changed them. Do you know what year the change was made?

Ah. My bad. I didn't realize they changed them. Do you know what year the change was made?

I think the fuse addition came with the '91 body change but it could have happened with the '89 or '90.

I think the fuse addition came with the '91 body change.........
I'm thinkin your purdy close there!!:thumbMight have been 92 when they changed the harness some,They also went to Maxie Fuses under the hood instead of fusible links in 92!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I did that years ago and found that my battery stopped dying. Must've been a bad tilt switch somewhere in there. I've never re-connected them, they're useless anyway, not near enough light.

I thought about removing the bulbs in my 89. Don't really need them as I disconnect the battery to keep from draining it when I raise the hood. Plus, there have been a few times when I set the hood down but didn't shut it. And the lights were still on.

Thanx ZumZum !! I traced the lines and each light had a disconnect plug in each corner of the engine compartment. I think I might leave them disconnected for good, not sure of their true function. Back to engine bay detailing and cleanup !! Thanx again !!

my 91 has no fuse as described. i too have to disconnect the lights via a connector on each side of the nose..

Thanx ZumZum !! I traced the lines and each light had a disconnect plug in each corner of the engine compartment. I think I might leave them disconnected for good, not sure of their true function. Back to engine bay detailing and cleanup !! Thanx again !!

I disconnected the lights on my 89. Now I don't have to worry about disconnecting the battery everytime I lift the hood. And I don't have to worry about a light staying on causing a drain. If I unlikely get stranded at night time and need to see. I could always connect them back up.

I disconnected the lights on my 89. Now I don't have to worry about disconnecting the battery everytime I lift the hood. And I don't have to worry about a light staying on causing a drain. If I unlikely get stranded at night time and need to see. I could always connect them back up.

WHY NOT JUST PULL THE FUSE OUT?!:D WHEN EVER I AM WORKING ON THE INTERIOR OF THE CAR I PULL THE FUSE. I STILL HAVE TO RESET THE CLOCK AND RADIO. I DON'T KNOW...AM I WRONG?:upthumbs

WHY NOT JUST PULL THE FUSE OUT?!:D WHEN EVER I AM WORKING ON THE INTERIOR OF THE CAR I PULL THE FUSE. I STILL HAVE TO RESET THE CLOCK AND RADIO. I DON'T KNOW...AM I WRONG?:upthumbs

Is there a fuse for the lamps under the hood? Anyways, I don't like pulling fuses if I can avoid it. As it takes me probably 10+ minutes to get the damn fuse cover back on with the knob. Without the knob, I can get the cover on easy. But is a pain to remove. Never figured out why it is so hard to put the cover back on with the knob.

Is there a fuse for the lamps under the hood? Anyways, I don't like pulling fuses if I can avoid it. As it takes me probably 10+ minutes to get the damn fuse cover back on with the knob. Without the knob, I can get the cover on easy. But is a pain to remove. Never figured out why it is so hard to put the cover back on with the knob.

There is a fuse for the under hood lights for the 'late C4s' and it's under the hood in the left front fender area in front of the front tire, and beside the side marker lights. I know this fuse exists on '92 and newer C4s but I can't say that it is on '91 or older C4s.

There is a fuse for the under hood lights for the 'late C4s' and it's under the hood in the left front fender area in front of the front tire, and beside the side marker lights. I know this fuse exists on '92 and newer C4s but I can't say that it is on '91 or older C4s.

I have the earlier Vette. Though it only took me 30 seconds to unplug the lights. And if I get stranded at night, I could easily plug them back up. And I don't have to worry about a possible battery drain. The only one I'd have to worry about now is the inside console door light as that also runs off a mercury switch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom