Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car & Driver Readers Respond To C7 Article

1analguy

Corvette
'96 GSc, '67 L68r, '78 L82, '70 L48c, '70 LT-1c
Car & Driver's April issue has four letters printed from respondents to their March C7 article. The magazine made no comment on the total number of respondents to the article, or on what the brake-down of all responding attitudes was. They just printed four letters. All four were negative toward the car. Three tied it to the Camaro...and not in a good way. The forth wished that a C6 would still be offered, with the new LT1 installed, as an alternative to the C7...

Ya, they're losers.....the one thing no one knows yet is how good it drives and handles. Which I think is going to be really really well. They just need to give it some time.......

It's just like politics. The haters have infinite negative energy to bad mouth. They are probably the same guys that have bad mouthed it elsewhere.

Corvmaro Styling Ignores/Disrespects Corvette Tradition & History

It's just like politics. The haters have infinite negative energy to bad mouth. They are probably the same guys that have bad mouthed it elsewhere.

I can't quite dismiss the disappointment with Camaro styling cues as 'infinite negative energy to badmouth' or deride others as 'losers' for wanting the C7 Corvette to actually look like a Corvette.

For whatever reason, the designers of the new Corvette (reminds me of the New Coke fiasco) didn't respect the tradition and history of the car. Maybe they came from Cadillac, or some other division, and just don't know and don't really car about the Corvette as an American Institution, as an icon as well as a car. Sure, the car needs to stay up with the times. But, a Corvette should never be suggestive of another, let alone lesser car. A Corvette should be immediately and uniquely recognizable as a Corvette from any angle in any lighting save total darkness.

And a Corvette always has four round tail lights, it is a major part of the iconography and identity of the car. Admittedly with some occasional excursions like ovals or rounded squares. But, even the C5 and 1991 - 1996 C4 tail lights were close enough to allow one to immediately know the car is a Corvette, even in the dark on the highway. A Corvette...Not a Corvmaro or Camaravette.

Thankfully, the C7 design staff at least had the good sense to keep a general C3 shape for the car, as did the designers of the C4, C5 and C6. At least from the front and side the C7 still says Corvette. That noted, I was sorry to see the loss of hide away headlights on the C6, and hoped those would return on the C7. Instead, we still have ugly exposed (and now angry looking) headlights, like millions of other cars with exposed headlights, and now the C7 has lost two iconographic characteristics. We now have a lack of hide away headlights combined with Camaro tail lights.

The Corvette is slowly dissolving into everysportscar, or at least becoming a Corvette in name only. And that's I think the real issue with the Camaro tail lights on the C7.

So it isn't hating or badmouthing by a bunch of losers. It is actually love for the car and its traditions and styling cues. It's uniqueness as America's Sportscar. I think a major worry Corvette lovers like me (I own four currently with plans to buy more, but not a C7) is that the iconography that makes the car uniquely Corvette is being diluted, disrespected, and deleted.

I understand GM's desire to have a family resemblance, but that line of thought diminishes Corvette. And comes to a decision to style a C7 with a Camaro design cues. What's next, a big Confederate flag across the C7 hood?

It's upsetting to see the Corvette being treated this way. By its own manufacturer.

I never thought I'd hope this, but perhaps if sales drop enough, GM will go back to designing and building Corvettes, not Corvmaros.

We can hope.

As much as I tried to be open minded about the C7 I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. I love the front end but that's just about it.
I waited until I saw the inveiling of the C7 before I finally decided to go with a C6 GS. I think the C6' Grand Sports are absolutely beautiful and I knew I'd be happy with it (or should I say I hope) a few years down the road.

Last edited:
C&D chose to print four negative letters, but I'd really love to know just how representative they were of the total number of respondents, and how many respondents there really were...

I think you have to be continually pushing the design forward to attract the new business that is desperately needed to get the Corvette once again past the 1000 per month build rate that we have been seeing. The new markets that Chevy is trying to be part of and move into will respond to the styling cues the C7 is repping. If those do not make it with you then there are lots of other older gens out there that are available to buy. Chevy did their homework and the result is the C7.....time will tell.

I think you have to be continually pushing the design forward to attract the new business that is desperately needed to get the Corvette once again past the 1000 per month build rate that we have been seeing. The new markets that Chevy is trying to be part of and move into will respond to the styling cues the C7 is repping. If those do not make it with you then there are lots of other older gens out there that are available to buy. Chevy did their homework and the result is the C7.....time will tell.
Agreed... and I would add this: the overall shape of the C7 has a similar look to some of the finest super cars on the planet yet retains styling cues that make it easily recognizable as a Corvette. Time will tell, indeed, but GM was shooting for the international market and I think they will hit the target!

-Mac

I not trying to be snarky, but for those who dislike the C7 to no end, there are huge bargains out there for brand new C6s. So, if you are sure the C7 will never be for you, you have a small window to get a brand new Vette that isn't a C7 at a great price.

Then you can have a great car to wait for the C8 to come along to complain about.......OK, that was snarky.:L

I gave GM and Bob Lutz huge props for being bold introducing the Volt. On this board and others,
the Volt has gotten lambasted for reasons having nothing to do w the technology or engineering.
GM has persisted and slowly the Volt continues to gain favor. Some members on this forum have vouched for the car. It's clear GM has decided that they are willing to break some "traditions" in order to implement innovative technologies. They are taking risks and I say "Good for You".
Being conservative and unwilling to take risks is what brought GM to bankruptcy 4 years ago.
The C7 is another indication of GMs bolder direction. The world moves forward and change is constant. Some are just going to have to deal with it like everything else happening in the world.

While I have no idea what "props" are, I do commend GM for uncharacteristically sticking with the Volt. Apparently, for the first time in history, they're actually thinking long-term. Toyota isn't any "greener" than any other car company, but they have been dumping Prii for years now and look at all the good will that car has generated for them...

Last edited:
The Japanese and the Asians in general have played "long ball". They don't row to the same short term, every quarter concern for what Wall St. analysts think you should be doing. They play chess and our captains of industry play checkers.

The Japanese and the Asians in general have played "long ball". They don't row to the same short term, every quarter concern for what Wall St. analysts think you should be doing. They play chess and our captains of industry play checkers.

You couldn't be more right. I worked for a huge Japanese company that had no problems with multiple profitless fiscal quarters as long as the long term goals were on schedule. The result is that they are one of two sources in the world for a huge number of passive electronic components, both firms are Japanese. All the domestic producers fell out during the 1990s, victims of having to raise prices to meet short-term profit forecasts. So now the competition for a huge market segment is split between 2 firms who took the long road. I think GM gets it, but who knows for sure.

I not trying to be snarky, but for those who dislike the C7 to no end, there are huge bargains out there for brand new C6s. So, if you are sure the C7 will never be for you, you have a small window to get a brand new Vette that isn't a C7 at a great price.

Then you can have a great car to wait for the C8 to come along to complain about.......OK, that was snarky.:L

I agree there Catburt, if the new one's an entire turnoff, ya sure can't go wrong with a nice Grand Sport. Take a few bucks and get some Recaro's and a Momo and you're set. My commentary on the C7 is on the 'C7 poll' thread and I'm looking forward to responses to my suggestions for the recovery of this car. In essence, way too many lines and creases. Damn thing looks like it came out of a paper shredder. Snark, snark :rotfl

Keep it moving forward...

I agree Huskerman...The designers and others in charge need to keep the Corvette relevant and edg.This new car is design to reach out to a new and younger audience and it is intended to keep the namesake alive for many years to come..Itabout growing the brand..I wasnt warm to the new rear for awhile but it is growing on me..Look at the bright side, there are 4 tailights...I also agree that there are plenty of preowned out there for those who aren't fond of the new design but this will pay off in the future........:w

I gave GM and Bob Lutz huge props for being bold introducing the Volt. On this board and others,
the Volt has gotten lambasted for reasons having nothing to do w the technology or engineering.
GM has persisted and slowly the Volt continues to gain favor. Some members on this forum have vouched for the car. It's clear GM has decided that they are willing to break some "traditions" in order to implement innovative technologies. They are taking risks and I say "Good for You".
Being conservative and unwilling to take risks is what brought GM to bankruptcy 4 years ago.
The C7 is another indication of GMs bolder direction. The world moves forward and change is constant. Some are just going to have to deal with it like everything else happening in the world.

Kudos..........:w

Interesting article...

We are now intimate with the 2014 Corvette Stingray. Yep, Stingray. The historic moniker is not being reserved, as we previously proposed, for a later de-powered model, but goes on the base car. And now we know far more than its name. We’ve gazed upon its inner organs, examined its bones, and touched its skin.

www.c&d.com

I like the new Corvette. Chevy gave it an edgy design and the tailights reflect the design theme. Change is hard to accept sometimes especially when we get accustomed to it the old way. In time I feel the looks of the Corvette will be more widely liked. With all the talk in the magazines about the lack of a radical design change in the GM trucks now they complain the Corvette is changed to much. :thumb

When you step back from the issue.and look rationally at the development of the C7, you have to know GM knew there would be a huge issue with some existing Vette customers over the direction of the new model. To me, that means that it's more important than we may know to develop a revised and enlarged customer base. There is no way the brand will survive with production numbers we have seen for the last 3 or 4 years. GM is not a boutique car builder, and relies on economies of scale. GM no longer has the huge sales and Capitol reserves to pay for the substantial Corvette investment in engineering and facilities. The Vette will have to pay its' own way. So I see the C7 as the last opportunity get enough new customers to bring production back to respectable number. If I was the Chairman or a Board member at GM, the Chevy team would be on notice that continued Vette production is not a given.

Car & Driver Reader Who Really Likes The C7!

I really like the car as is. I like the way it looks, making my C6 already look outdated. The engineering is excellent and the interior is very,very nice! It is, IMO, a great car and there will be one in my future (replacing my 2006 Z06).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom