Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Caravan from the south and west

Toms007

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
Ok folks, June will be here before we know it. I am going to start this thread about a caravan from the south and west.

My plans are to be in Kansas City (staying with my daughter) on Wednesday night. So we will travel from Lakin up to Patrick's favorite road, I70, via US 50 & Kansas 156 (get on I70 at exit #225, Ellsworth). We will head east on I70, with our cruise control set at 75 or 76 mph. We will get to KC (actually Lenexa, KS).

KC to Effingham is only about 6 hours, so there is really no real need to get around too early.

Thursday morning, 9am or so we will head east on I70 and hopefully meet up with Scott and ? in Columbia, MO. At least that's where we have met up in the past.

Barrett, are you going to be at your brothers place Wednesday night? If so, we can meet up someplace and head out together.

Columbia is about 2 hour drive from KC, so 11am (or so) we should be there. Being a weekday, we should might run into some traffic, but getting away at that time we should be able to miss most in the KC area and hopefully, hit Columbia before the noon rush and get away. By getting a little later start it should give the Colorado contingent a little more rest before heading out again. Once we meet up with Scott and ????, we should be able to get away from Columbia by noon (?) Traffic might be an issue there, but I can't imagine it'll be too bad.

If memory serves me right, St. Louis is about 2 hours on down the road. So with a short stop somewhere we can then pick up Billy and Mary Ann, maybe at that same rest stop we met up before.

From there we can head on out to Effingham. It's about a 2 hour drive from St. Louis. Hopefully we can pull into the motel by 5pm.

OK this is the start...now lets hear what you have to say about my tentative plans.

I plan on going to Cruisefest right now, as long as I can get that weekend off work. (I might get sick.....LMAO) I am just west of St.Louis in St.Charles,MO I would be more than happy to hook up with you all.

Mike.

That sounds great! We know where St. Charles is. Keep in tune here and as things get closer we'll come up with a place to hook up.

I'm in with that plan, Anyone from CO or elsewhere want to meet up in Limon and make the trek across Kansas with me?

We haven't decided on a route yet. One scenario would be to go through OK City then north and meet up at Salina, KS. Another we could go straight North and hook up somewhere between Oakly,KS ~ Salina, KS.

OR we could go through OK City, Tulsa, OK; Springfield,MO and anywhere on I-44 to St. Louis...

We will watch this thread and then probably throw a dart at the map :chuckle

Bud

I44 to St Louis is probably the shortest route for you Bud. But OKC to Wichita and up I35 to KC is another possibility. ;shrug

Scott, we really hope that some more from CO decide to attend.....Patrick, Bill (geekinavette),CO Geezer, Fullback32....? I know Barrett is planning the trip, but not sure what his travel plans are.

OK this thread has been dormant for several days. How about some people giving a little input on this caravan thing. My plans are not in stone so if someone else has something throw it out here, so it can be discussed. How about other people in the Texas, NM, Oklahoma area. What's the plan?

Tom we voted maybe so we still do not know if we are going yet or not! So no carvan plans yet!:confused

OK folks, time is getting closer....How about it, anyone from the South and West figuring on hooking up with us? Traveling in a caravan is a lot of fun.

Tom
Talked with my brother last week and he is up for the CF in Effingham. I will be driving to Overland Park, KS on Wednesday also and could join up with you once you get to I-70 and we could travel to the KC area together. Just let me know your approximatel ETA on Wednesday. Since Lenexa is close to Overland park, we can pick a convenient place to meet on Thursday and then travel to meet the others. For that matter, the others may want to stay in KC area instead of driving to the Columbia area. We should have Billy and Mary Ann meet us on the Illinois side of St Louis on I-70E as we should take the by-pass around St Louis - faster and much less traffic. Things are starting to come together, now all we need is the CF list of activities so we can committ the $$ needed to have a successful event. Dre or Rob??
Barrett

Right now, we are thinking this way ;)

I-40 Amarillo ~ Oklahoma City then I-44 through Tulsa and spending Wednesday night in either Joplin or Springfield,MO.. then Thursday back on I-44 to St. Louis then I-70 to Effingham figure on mid afternoon Thursday June 10th arrival Effingham :lou

But this isn't cast in stone ;)

Bud & Nanc
Amarillo, TEXAS

Bump ^

And a followup :D

Right now we plan to leave Amarillo Wednesday Morning June 9th and spend the night in Springfield, MO. That is about 550 miles the first day.

Second day Thursday June 10th leave Springfield, MO and arrive in Effingham early afternoon. Second day is about 350 miles or so..

Anyone along the way is welcome to join in.

Depending upon Tom, Barrett, Scott and others crossing north of us, and time/location as to if we can meet up along the way and join in for the last leg of the trip :Steer

Otherwise we'll see ya in Effingham :thumb

Bud & Nanc

Bump ^

And a followup :D

Right now we plan to leave Amarillo Wednesday Morning June 9th and spend the night in Springfield, MO. That is about 550 miles the first day.

Second day Thursday June 10th leave Springfield, MO and arrive in Effingham early afternoon. Second day is about 350 miles or so..

Anyone along the way is welcome to join in.

Depending upon Tom, Barrett, Scott and others crossing north of us, and time/location as to if we can meet up along the way and join in for the last leg of the trip :Steer

Otherwise we'll see ya in Effingham :thumb

Bud & Nanc

There's a rest stop about 20 miles east of St. Louis on I 70 we could meet up in. Just a short hop into Mid America from there.:cool

Scott

There's a rest stop about 20 miles east of St. Louis on I 70 we could meet up in. Just a short hop into Mid America from there.:cool

Scott

I don't know if we could be 20 miles east of St. Louis early enough to hookup. If we stay in Springfield,MO the first night out (after a 550 mile day) if Ma would be too willing to get up early... I just googled from Springfield to St. Louis and it said about 5 hours... if I know anything, ma ain't a morning person :chuckle we will be doing good to be on the road by 9:00 a.m. or so :eek:hnoes

We'll see who knows, I do know ma don't like me to drive too fast, or hurry her :bash The days of putting my head down and my ears back are long gone :chuckle

Bud

I don't know if we could be 20 miles east of St. Louis early enough to hookup. If we stay in Springfield,MO the first night out (after a 550 mile day) if Ma would be too willing to get up early... I just googled from Springfield to St. Louis and it said about 5 hours... if I know anything, ma ain't a morning person :chuckle we will be doing good to be on the road by 9:00 a.m. or so :eek:hnoes

We'll see who knows, I do know ma don't like me to drive too fast, or hurry her :bash The days of putting my head down and my ears back are long gone :chuckle

Bud

I'd probably be staying in Columbia, MO the first night and don't plan on a real early start either. Not sure how far it is from Columbia to the rest stop. I'll look into that tonight. A quick check shows the first rest stop in Illinois on eastbound I 70 is at mile marker 27, Silver Lake rest stop. This is about two hours out from Mid America
Scott

Scott, last year it took me 3+ hours from Columbia to Effingham. I know the rest stop you are talking about. BTW, Tom and I will probably meet up with you in Columbia on Thursday morning. Tom mentioned that we would leave KC area around 9 am, putting us in Columbia between 11 am and noon. You can sleep in. Are you going with some of us in the RMCSC over Memorial Day to visit Yoda?
Barrett

Scott, last year it took me 3+ hours from Columbia to Effingham. I know the rest stop you are talking about. BTW, Tom and I will probably meet up with you in Columbia on Thursday morning. Tom mentioned that we would leave KC area around 9 am, putting us in Columbia between 11 am and noon. You can sleep in. Are you going with some of us in the RMCSC over Memorial Day to visit Yoda?
Barrett

It's about 120 miles from Columbia to St Louis and around 100 from St Louis to Mid America. We could meet up with Bud and whoever else at the rest stop (Billy, are you out there?) and all show up at Mid America together.
As to Memorial day, not sure yet. We're having a bit of a logistics problem with one of our antenna installs. Might be on site helping that weekend. We'll have to see what happens.

Meeting at rest stop

Hi guys, i am under the assumption we will meet at the rest stop we used a couple years ago. what time is eta, guess about 2:00pm, if this is right give me a heads up...........Billy and Mary Ann :w

I'm guessing that's about right Billy. PM me your phone number so as we get closer to STL I can call and give you a more accurate ETA.

I guess that should go for all who will be in this caravan. Please PM me your cell numbers. I used to have them, I know, but my cell took a dump and I lost all of them, so send them to me again and I'll put them in writing as well as my cell.

All things considered :D and depending upon where we spent Wednesday night, Nanc and I should be able to make St. Louis by 2:00 pm Thursday. Tom I'll send you our cell phone #. We really never use it :chuckle it's a tracphone... when I retired (Aug 2004) I swore off Cell Phones and Pagers :nono I carried both from 1988 or 89 (Loma Prieta Earthquake) until I retired ~ 24/7 ~ 365 even on vacation..

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom