Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing brake pads - need help.

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
Today I bought some NAPA semi-mettalic brake pads for my C5.

It comes with a lot of weird metal pieces.

The instruction sheet isn’t really clear but it says there are one of two different systems.

Caliper System 1 and Caliper System 2.

One has Pad abutment shims, two had those and anti-rattle shims which look quite complicated.

Anyone even seen these? Since I don’t have an FSM yet is there anywhere I can find a step by step for replacing the pads?

Hey Paul, I can't image that those are that much different than other disks.....but I have not had to mess with mine, as the brakes were done right before I bought my C5. I'm not in a position to scan the pages of my FSM, or I would and send them to you. If you still need them next week I can do them for you.

Yes, Tom, please do that as I have to wait anyway. I would really appreciate it a lot.

My wife is going to buy me an FSM for Christams.

Do you know a good place to buy one?

And, yeah, those clips have me baffled.

Today I bought some NAPA semi-mettalic brake pads for my C5.

It comes with a lot of weird metal pieces.

The instruction sheet isn’t really clear but it says there are one of two different systems.

Caliper System 1 and Caliper System 2.

One has Pad abutment shims, two had those and anti-rattle shims which look quite complicated.

Anyone even seen these? Since I don’t have an FSM yet is there anywhere I can find a step by step for replacing the pads?

I am not sure exactly what you have, but there are shims that clip into the caliper bracket that contact the pad ears, and there is a anti rattle shim that clips onto top of the caliper, and some pads come with shims that clip onto the pads. If you show a picture I can explain how they fit, they are all easy to install. :)

Yeah, a picture would be really helpful. :upthumbs

Those goofy pieces of thin, shiny steel look complicated but it's not something I can't figure out. I don't even know if this car has single or dual calipers as I have never taken the wheels off it yet.

I did buy a low profile Jack today at Sears. Its real nice. Only 3 1/2 inches and goes way over the max height of my Jack stands. This thing rocks.

Thanks dude.

Yeah, a picture would be really helpful. :upthumbs

Those goofy pieces of thin, shiny steel look complicated but it's not something I can't figure out. I don't even know if this car has single or dual calipers as I have never taken the wheels off it yet.

I did buy a low profile Jack today at Sears. Its real nice. Only 3 1/2 inches and goes way over the max height of my Jack stands. This thing rocks.

Thanks dude.

It is a single piston caliper. Look carefully at the caliper bracket ends where the pads contact and you should see the pad retainers, and then up inside the caliper when you have it off as there should be a fairly large shim that clips in the top hole of the caliper and pushes down on the pads when installed. Do one side at a time so that you can reference the other side if needed. :)

Fsm

Yes, Tom, please do that as I have to wait anyway. I would really appreciate it a lot.

My wife is going to buy me an FSM for Christams.

Do you know a good place to buy one?

And, yeah, those clips have me baffled.

Paul,

Here are three sites for FSMs to check;

Corvette Service Manual 2004 - FREE Bonus Products!

http://www.zip-corvette.com/GroupDetails/SubGroupResults.aspx?gid={a0f06db7-c75e-4160-9073-bfab661534ae}&SearchType=_GROUP_SEARCH&GroupName=C5+Factory+(GM)+Shop+%26+Service+Manuals&

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Factory Service Repair Manual on eBay!

That would be a great Christmas gift and worth every penny.

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill :w

Thanks Bill, that’s exactly what I needed.

:upthumbs

Once you pull a wheel off the car, carefully look at the caliper and see how the pads fit into it etc. You'll see all those shiny gadgets you're talking about, so pay attention to where they go and how they fit etc. It's not rocket science, but take your sweet time doing the first corner then you'll be an expert by the time you're on #4 corner! :thumb

Be sure to use new fluid and bleed the brakes where you're finished with the pads. I use a turkey baster to suck out all the dirty fluid from the master cylinder before trying to remove the first caliper.

Suggestions

Thanks Bill, that’s exactly what I needed.

:upthumbs

Good suggestion from Fixvet.

I would also add;

1. Take your digital camera and take plenty of pictures of the disassembly process so that you can refer to them later in case you get stuck.

2. Invest in "Speed Bleeders" which are self bleeding fittings for each caliper setup, they are only a few dollars each and allow for a one man brake bleed. Just unscrew the old fittings and screw in the new ones. The fittings are valved and when opened allow fluid out while keeping air from getting in. You can buy them at Advance Auto and probably other auto parts stores.

Take your time, have fun and save a bundle.

Keep 'em rollin' :W

Bill :w

Thanks guys. Both great ideas!

Gonna do just as you suggest.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom