Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering a 2002 coupe....advice?

D

designeraccd

I am looking at/discussing the purchase of an Electron Blue '02 automatic coupe with a bit over 33K miles. One (lease) owner car. I have both a "clean" CarFax plus build sheet on the car. O.E. rubber needs replacement, definately losing its "grip". Other than that car appears clean, runs strong and for a base suspension car that needs tires seems to handle fine. Sure rides better than my '94 LT 1 coupe! Much easier to get in/out plus good interior room, especially on passenger side. The car has the 3:15 rear end.

Dealer wants $29,995: I offered my 48K, very clean '94 automatic C4 + my '04 8k mile Mazdaspeed MX-5 (Miata, factory built "tuner" car...) for the C5, if they put a new set of Mich. Pilot Sport a/s rubber on her, too. Even trade with the new rubber.

Thoughts, input...advice about C5s, price? I've had 2 C4s and 4 Miatas but no C5s. TIA. DFO

Sounds like you already have yourself talked into it.

Wise decision!

I'm leaning towards the C5, but........ Don't know enough about them. I will see the car late today again and have asked them to pull the battery, tray etc to see if there is any evidence of a leaking battery. From what I have read that can lead to some $$$ repairs! DFO

Great Choice !

I also picked up a 2002 because l felt that it was the best C5 for the money and it was dialed in by then.

The price is a bit high but the orig tires with 33k miles says that it was mostly highway driving or easy driving around town. I sold my 96 for the C5 and the only thing that l miss are the seats and the way the C4 handled.

The C5 seats (sport) are only OK.

Now l bought a 2002 coupe completely loaded down to the 100% 0 deduct GMPP warranty with under 12k miles with both tops without a mark on it for less and this was 7 months ago. You do the math! You are going to be so confused with your trade in's you will never know what you really paid for the C5.

By the way have a vin# report pulled to see all the options it has and all the service work that was done at the dealer.

If the vette has run flats think twice about what you replace them with.

Check for paintwork and the drivers side bolster for wear.

Good Luck

Alan

ps the Electron Blue is awesome but like all metallic colors it is hard to touch up (scratches, road chips)

In Nov 04, I traded my 96 collector edition for an 02 electron blue vert with light oak top and interior, and I am glad I did. I've put the price of the exhange in the back of my memory.

I am 6 ft 4 in tall, and I fit better in the C5 than I did in the C4. The electron blue paint looks great in the sun. I put C6 chrome wheels on it this spring, and they add a nice touch of shine to the car.

The car is comfortable, fun to drive, and gets lots of great comments. It's a winner at car shows too!

Buy the car you like....someday you will forget what you paid for it....it doesn't matter as long as you like the car and are enjoying it....life it short!

Go for it.

The C5 is such a different car from the C4 but it does grow on you. While the feel of the C5 may make you think it is not handling as good as your C4, track times will prove you wrong.

As for the battery, any side post battery has the potential for leaks if someone tries to overtighten the cables. Both the C4 and the C5 have issues with this but there is more electronic stuff below the C5 battery than on the C4. Maybe one reason GM went back to a top post battery with the C6. If you're having them pull the battery, then you need to make sure that they don't break the post seals when they put it back - it may be fine now and toast in a month if they do. I.e.: everytime the battery is touched, check it for leaks afterward!

If you have looked around the forums here, you will have noticed many of the common complaints about the C5 - most of which were well taken care of by 2002. There is still an issue with the steering column lock on many cars. Make sure all recalls have been performed on the car or get them done.

As recommend Michilen Pilot Sport A/S ZPs for the car. I have them on my 2003 and love them and, they are runflats.

I stopped by the stealership, the "salesman" knew I was coming, on my way back from a followp doctor's appt. Noticed a few more things about the car: wiper blades are shot, Mobil 1 (I was informed) is in it...since last Sept, and then there were those tires. As soon as I got in, with seat/lumbar adjusted for me properly this time, I felt the right rear was low. Checked the air pressure readouts: 28-29 for 3, 25 for right rear. Damn near lost the car in a tight S curve she should have taken easily and because of the tires I wasn't on it hard at all, fortunately. So that speaks volumes to me about how "meticulous" the p.o. was about taking care of the car(traded in @ 2 weeks ago...) and what kind of a "quality" Chevy dealer...this ISN'T. Also, the BLACK window tinting is delamming on rear hatch + I hate it...car feels like I'm inside a cave with windows up...crap would have to be removed!

The Electron Blue, even tho not washed (uh-huh...) looks gr8 on the car with the opt. polished wheels. I do like the car but unless the dealer puts new wiper blades, changes to new Mobil 1 and filter plus P.O. from Tire Rack for 4 Mich. Pilot Sport a/s installed even up for my 2 cars...no deal. My C4 and MSM MX-5 will stay with me which would make my wife very happy. She "loves" the MX-5, because it is a "sports car"..i.e. a drop top, but neither my C4 nor the C5 are...so they therefore "aren't" sports cars.....logic???

Right now, at 4:06aayemm and with considerable pain from my neck operation I'm rather ambivalent about getting this C5, unless....heck there will always be another one eventually! DFO

There are LOTS of C5's out there.

Yep, there are!

This one has been on the lot since I bought mine (late June). Mr. Pinky wanted me to buy it but I went for the automatic, since it's my daily driver and I'm lazy. :L

OK never mind, for some reason the link won't work. Trying one last time:

1G1YY32G425119465-1.jpg

Well it looks like there should be one less Electron Blue C5 for sale after tomorrow morning. The salesman from the Chevy dealer called me this afternoon to say they had agreed to my generous offer for the '02.

So tomorrow morning we have to drive the MSM and LT1 @ 75 miles to swap them for the C5 etc. Only lil teensy weensy problem might be my dear, "sweet" wife's ever so slightly belligerent attitude towards trading "her" MX-5 in for a Corvette. In her (deluded) mind it's "hers" because I was KIND enough to let her drive this MX-5 twice. She has never driven the previous 3 Miatas or either of my C4 Corvettes as this does tend to keep the cars more intact as a rule! Try to be nice....

She has told me she NEVER wants to ride in the C5 and hopes I enjoy it...by myself! Could be a l-o-n-g walk home for her tomorrow, huh? LOL! Well despite Mizz Grumpy I'm looking forward to getting the C5! DFO ;)

Tell Ms. Grumpy that she is under the mistaken impression that Corvettes are "guys only" cars.

One ride in a C5 and she too will enjoy the admiring looks from strangers. :upthumbs

Unfortunately in her mind (??) a Corvette COUPE does not qualify as a sports car, but a Miata convertible does...my '87 C4 drop top did, too. Now to me drop tops are OK, but given my motorcycles versus a convertible...no comparison; so I prefer the coupes both functionally and for styling reasons. Not her, and of course I'm all wrong...she is completely correct! I've lived with this type of "logic" for 37+ years....oh boy...........DFO :L

I'm certain that you will like the 02 a bunch, I do. I bought an electron blue 02 earlier this year with identicle milage. Got to say I got for about 4k less than what the dealer has priced it. Have you checked Kelly Blue Book or NADA? Anyway it's a great car enjoy......

Hi

Your wife may be closer to the truth then you realize. A vette in vert or coupe form is not a true sports car by no means. It has too many creature comforts for sure.

The last true sports car that l had was an MGA 1600 with power nothing and no a/c. It was slow, uncomfortable and handled poorly but it was a true sports car.

the Miata is the closest thing to a true sports car today.

So cut her some slack.

Alan

I am a convertible guy (I could never get my wife on my motorcycle, so I sold it to her brother) but with the top out of the coupe, it is pretty open air. My wife loves the C5 so much better than my previous C3 or C4. It is much better on road trips and easier to get in and out of than the C4 or a Miata.

Good luck with the purchase & if youare ever down in the Indy area look us up.

Bruce

Yup...NADA, used here, was a bit over $32K retail. So if the 1 owner car is as good as she seems with the new wiper blades, fresh Mobil 1 and filter plus a check for full installed, taxed price to get the Pilot Sport a/s at The Tire Rack next Saturday...reasonable deal for all concerned.

Being on the other side of the desk many years ago, well they will try for every cent they can get. OTOH, from the 2 local (1 bike, 1 car) dealers I normally do bizness with I am always careful to leave them a decent, but not full pop, gross behind. Seems both dealers value my business and will go out of their way to help me when needed etc....so, AFAIK, it pays off. I don't know this dealer, but hopefully they will appreciate my business, too.
I have my own consulting service and try to always give my customers more than we agreed to. Some still try to screw me, most appreciate it: bottom line I have to live with what I believe is correct as seen from my church pew on Sunday morning.

If the "new" C5 proves to be a reliable, enjoyable Corvette for years to come she will be well worth the initial cost to me. And if she provides enjoyment for both my son and I, well that is an added bonus for us. Unfortunately my son, daughter and wife (comes from her...) all are DNA defective-NO gasoline in their blood, but the only car my son has ever evinced any interest in has been the Corvette....sooo, why not. Hopefully olMM (wife) will relent and enjoy the car, too.

Of course I obviously make up for this DNA lack on my wife's side of the family: so far 78 motorcycles and 40+ cars, IIRC...LOL! DFO:D

Now had I agreed to purchase a fine lookinn drop top like yours olMM would be reasonably happy, but none around and I really do like the complete looks of the coupe; simply more integrated form to my lil ol deeezignurrz' eyes! Of course top down the verts do look fine, but they do get a bit drafty in N. IN. in mid winter!.

Agree that a Miata is a "true" sports car in the idiom of 50s Brit stuff...except they are bullet proof! At this point if I could drive both my MSM and C4 at the same time on some of my favorite mountain roads in se KY...I'd smoke the Vette! I "know" how to get a lot out of the lil Miatas and I'm still figuring out how to use those V8s. Only V8 I ever had in all these years was my '56 Chevy "street" machine with a '66 275hp 327 I put in. Had that ol girl 20 years almost to the day. Finally-sniff-sold her as the car was just sitting and my lil bike collection was growing...and growing. Fortunately I never went above 22 at once and have pretty much stabilized at 17...altho my '05 Honda VFR800 (1200 miles) is for sale as my increasingly creaky body can no longer fit on one...nutz!

If my neck operation ever heals fully I will be back on my '06 Yamaha FJR 1300A and beloved (and modified for handling) '04 1200R Sportster. In the meantime I sure am looking forward to bringing my "new" C5 home tomorrow! DFO :D

I brought my '02 vert home Wednesday. The more I drive it the better it gets. It is certainly more refined than my C4 and my C4 couldn't stay with it on curves unless I could put the same supercar tires on it. The C5 takes curves like it is on rails.

Enjoy your C5!

So tomorrow morning we have to drive the MSM and LT1 @ 75 miles to swap them for the C5 etc. Only lil teensy weensy problem might be my dear, "sweet" wife's ever so slightly belligerent attitude towards trading "her" MX-5 in for a Corvette. In her (deluded) mind it's "hers" because I was KIND enough to let her drive this MX-5 twice. She has never driven the previous 3 Miatas or either of my C4 Corvettes as this does tend to keep the cars more intact as a rule! Try to be nice....

She has told me she NEVER wants to ride in the C5 and hopes I enjoy it...by myself! Could be a l-o-n-g walk home for her tomorrow, huh? LOL! Well despite Mizz Grumpy I'm looking forward to getting the C5! DFO ;)

I think I see the issue here- you are tampering with your wife's sense of security by introducing "change." Change is disruptive: it upsets the apple cart of stability.

I'll be curious to hear what you're wife's reaction is after she's had a ride back from the dealership in the C5. They are marvellously comfortable cars compared to the C4 (if you're forced to sit in the passenger seat.) And for the driver, the handling of the C5 is a joy to experience in tight curves.

Let us know how the ride back went.

:w
-Patrick

C5-v06lflo.jpg

My "new" C5 is home, it was an interesting day! My wife couldn't have been more...uh..."pleasant" at the dealer...and if u believe that 1 I gotta bridge fer u in Arizona no less! OTOH the presentation and delivery...uh-huh...a Cormier Chevy wannabe. For those not familiar with L.A. that is a big fast track T.O. house that you couldn't pay me to do business with. Anyhoo, let's just say I "rescued" my C5 and let it go at that!

After we finally took delivery, bypassing the oh-so-generous offers for mega $$$ warranty "insurance"; well, my wife and son went grocery shopping while I went in search of back roads. First I had to fill the almost empty tank...class dealership, huh? Did find some typical n. IN. lumpy, bumpy back roads with a few curves...oh yes, no doubt this is indeed a performance SPORTScar despite my wifes' comments to the contrary relative to the MSM MX-5. I would have been, literally, airbourne had I been dummmm enough to try those roads at the speeds I did with even my '94 C4. My C5 stayed planted...all 4, despite having replacement bound o.e. Goodyears. The room and seats, once I got it adjusted and memory set for me, are very good. The ride is gr8. Brakes are outstanding and are capable of haulinn her down from the rapidly attained...uh...elevated velocities the LS 1 easily attains.

Yup...one happy, pleased new C5 owner. Sure did like my C4s, but the C5 is indeed a vast functional improvement.

OlMM despite her *****inn promptly feel asleep-windows down-while headed north on I-69 and west on IN 120! Had to resort to the cruise as I kept finding myself up at 70-75 0n 120 which is a nixoian 55....never felt like it. Finally on some MI backroads west of Howe, IN she INSISTED on driving this (p.o.s.) Corvette. Oh...gee...this is fun............well, duuhh. Of course with her driving the plugs could get carboned up, but whatever...I can cure that in a few miles!

When we got home I couldn't stand the filthy appearance of my car (oh...the dealer "cleaned" it...right, Ray Charles could have done better!) So despite the fact that I shouldn't be doing that currently (and will probably "pay" for it in a few hours-due to the operation) MY C5 now is washed and waxed...looks pretty good for the first time thru! A positive side benefit of hand washing and waxing a car is that I really get to "feel" the surfaces. My opinion of Cafaro's design work on the body has vaulted skyward. That car is one sophisticated, flowing surface after another, abruptly chopped at the rear for functional reasons. I could replicate that type of flowing surfacing but it would not be easy, at all. Very creative and professional ID work! I still like the C4 as a pc. of timeless GM design work but the C5 is far better than I had thought from afar, so to speak.

Am I glad I traded the 2 for 1? YUPPURR! This could be the start of something really good.....one happy C5 owner....DFO :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom