Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette to sport Chevy's gold bow-tie?

Should the Chevrolet Gold Bow-Tie emblem be added to the Corvette?

• Yes

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 269 87.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters
GM could always go back to imprinting the "Bowtie" on the side mirrors ;)

Bud

When I saw the bow tie poll, all as I could envision was the bow tie I have seen on the new Chevrolet Malibu deck lid, that I associate with a cheap chevy. I hope no one is offended by my comment, but that is they way I see it.

I voted no, I think the Chevy brand logo should be kept off of the Corvette. Is it the busy bodies in GM marketing that came up with this?

Why clutter up the clean design the Corvette team developed? The GM badge was added, why keep adding clisonee logos all over the car? It’s a “you understood” that the Corvette is a Chevy.

If it must be done, an idea like Rare81’s would be a possibility. It recalls the earlier embossed Chevy logos in the mirrors.

B17Crew
:w

Maybe this isn't he right word, but the corvette looks "elegant" without a prominent, bold emblem. The crossed flags through all the generations have just seemed to fit the car the way it should....sleek, cool, and racy.

Even before reading this post, I can honestly say that I always thought that the newer bowtie emblem just was always way off and butt ugly somehow on Chevys' latest offerings; too big and overstated. God, I hope this isn't the latest bungle on GMs' part.

Well, if they go ahead and do this, at least Corvette owners probably won't have to deal with people stealing it, like Mercedes and VW owners do...

...When host John McElroy pointed out that the gold bow-tie emblem doesn't appear prominently on the Corvette, Welburn responded by saying this is likely to change. "The gold bowtie will be there," he said. "There is a strong siganture grille that we are developing for all Chevys," Welburn explained. "We will depart a bit in the grille area […] but that bowtie will be there on every Chevy"...

There goes the neighborhood.

flava.jpg

My $.02- a Corvette with a big nasty bowtie in the grill will look like Flava Flav with his clock draped around his neck.

Maybe this isn't he right word, but the corvette looks "elegant" without a prominent, bold emblem. The crossed flags through all the generations have just seemed to fit the car the way it should....sleek, cool, and racy.

Even before reading this post, I can honestly say that I always thought that the newer bowtie emblem just was always way off and butt ugly somehow on Chevys' latest offerings; too big and overstated. God, I hope this isn't the latest bungle on GMs' part.

Well, if they go ahead and do this, at least Corvette owners probably won't have to deal with people stealing it, like Mercedes and VW owners do...
I agree.

I don't really think the badging will have any overall net effect on the car or the regular GM line.
When compared to cars in it's class ("exotics"), it's always been shunned for certain offenses, repeatedly..."interior design, comfort, etc."
Simply putting a GM badge on the car isn't going to change that. It's not like the automotive world is going to wake up one day and go, "Oh $hit! You mean that Corvette is a GM?!?!?! I had NO IDEA!!! Well, then I change my mind. That car is crap!" No, that's not going to happen. The Corvette will still be the same car, loved and panned by critics regardless.
The same type of arguments were made about the front license plate on the C6. The same arguments were made about getting rid of hidden headlights. Actually, those two examples incited much more of a response from people compared to a new emblem being placed somewhere on the car.
Has the front license plate issue stopped anyone from buying a C6?
Has anyone said, "No, definitely have to have flip up headlights, so I'm going to go with a C5 instead of a newer C6"? Probably not many.
How many people aren't buying the C6 because of that new GM badge on the rear(?) quarter panel? How many reviews have said, "Man, this car is great, but that little GM badge completely kills the driving experience for me!!! I just can't recommend this car." I haven't read any.

So GM wants to add another emblem. OK. First of all, it's not set in stone. This VP dude doesn't have the final word in what happens in Bowling Green. And he has said it's only "likely", not "already being applied".
On top of that, we don't know if the quote was taken 100% verbatim or if there was some paraphrasing going on or sentances being left out.
And lastly (for this post), we don't even know exactly what the emblem will look like nor where it will be placed.

I voted undecided based on those questions. And anyways, IF for some reason this badge caused problems for the vette in the automotive world, you can be sure it ain't gonna be there the following year.

Mild Tangent Alert
Was there this much who-hah in the 70's when GM was playing around with the Stingray signature? Short of having every non-vette owner think of ALL C3's as Stingrays, it didn't at all change the car, except to be one more little piece we had to detail with Q-tips.

Mental Masturbation for sure!

Why doesn't chevy come up with a better place for a front license plate and do something constructive. This Bowtie things is the thought of a loser with no other idea's.

Put a person who understands the car business at the helm of GM already instead of the wannabee's.

Without Lutz GM would have folded.

Alan

It's not like the automotive world is going to wake up one day and go, "Oh $hit! You mean that Corvette is a GM?!?!?! I had NO IDEA!!! Well, then I change my mind. That car is crap!" No, that's not going to happen. The Corvette will still be the same car, loved and panned by critics regardless.
The same type of arguments were made about the front license plate on the C6. The same arguments were made about getting rid of hidden headlights. Actually, those two examples incited much more of a response from people compared to a new emblem being placed somewhere on the car.
Has the front license plate issue stopped anyone from buying a C6?
Has anyone said, "No, definitely have to have flip up headlights, so I'm going to go with a C5 instead of a newer C6"? Probably not many.
How many people aren't buying the C6 because of that new GM badge on the rear(?) quarter panel? How many reviews have said, "Man, this car is great, but that little GM badge completely kills the driving experience for me!!! I just can't recommend this car." I haven't read any.

No one is claming any of that. No one said the Corvette will become a horrible automobile and they won't buy it if this happens.

People are just saying they don't think it is a good change.

I voted "NO"

For what it's worth, GM could lose the "GM" badge on the Vette also. Everyone already knows the Corvette is a Chevrolet and a GM car without even asking or needing to see the "GM" badge or a big gold "Bow-Tie".

Those that don't know can die ignorant.

Everyone already knows the Corvette is a Chevrolet and a GM car without even asking or needing to see the "GM" badge or a big gold "Bow-Tie".
C'mon, Tuna...maybe you've got too much mercury in your bloodstream. Everyone knows our cars are Volvo's under the hood! What was is that Bush said?? "Fool me once...shame on...ummm uhh, but fool me twice...uhh, ya know, Won't get fooled again!"

I am wondering if Chevy is trying to go the way of Dodge? Creating a "design synergy across Chevy models" is something that Dodge is already doing. Starting with their flagship car the Viper and taking that design cue and moving it across their fleet.

46.jpg

The Ram Pickup
46.jpg

The Magnum
46.jpg

The Grand Caravan
46.jpg

The Charger
46.jpg

Though this keeps a clean look among all the fleet vehicles, it can be somewhat boring to me. Although I do like the look of that Charger. I'd love to see some more renderings of what people think all the Chevrolet vehicles might look like if they took a Corvette front End.

Big ole H3LL naw on that mess!!! Jezuz..., I bought a brand new droptop Z24 Cav back in '99 as my work ride and one of the 1st things I did to it was take a hair dryer to the badges!!!. Gave the car has a cleaner look.
I don't believe the people at GM. There has been a need for younger, newer blood at their drawing boards for a long time now.
Let's see...
The new Malibus and Impalas are the same friggin cars!
The Monte Carlo just looks weird. Good thing NASCAR comes a callin'.
The Cobalt... please!
The SUV line-up is comprised of gas guzzling, unreliable, plastic boxes.
The pickups are boring.
The HHR is a horror show from a demented 1950s milkman.
The SSR was priced right outta every demographic.
The concept Camaro just might be priced too high for any target group--IF it every comes to fruition.

That only leaves the Corvette---and now there's talk of putting a gold badge on IT!!!?!!!!. Just plain stupid. A sign of the Apocalypse--for d@mn sure!!!

This is typical of how rank and position can skew the best efforts of talent and expertise. Just because some exec had a "good idea" that no one has the cajones to oppose, a very bad idea is put into effect.

One such example is Cadillac's slavish adherence to the "art and science" design philosophy that looks more like Origama than aerodymanics. Since 1992 they had a line of cars that looked sleek and modern, but then someone on high insinuated that foldy, edgy look into the marque and now they are uglier that Grandpa's giblets.

Another lack of insight can be seen with the C6 license plate holder. Who could believe such a turd could be plopped on the Corvette, yet managemenmt still turns a deaf ear to the market protests. Can a big bowtie on a chrome flatbar be far behind?

And, people .... please spare us another retro-styled car. What you're telling us is that you've run out of ideas ... that automotive styling has reached it's apex and there's nowhere else to go but backwards. I don't think so .........

I had a 1972 Vega. It was on its third engine when it limped to the junkyard with less than 80,000 miles. I bought a Japanese replacement.

I drove an 80's Lumina as a rental once. It was without question the worst car I ever drove. It was cheap, the ergonomics were terrible, and I swore off GM forever.

The ONLY thing that got me to buy another GM was the Corvette.

I have since softened my view of GM products somewhat. The trucks and SUV's seem to be popular and I appreciate the effort with the Solstice and the Sky.

But this is a bad idea.

meetings.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom