Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

daily driver(able)?

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hey all:

I go to school at University of Delaware, bought my corvette just under a year ago, never gave me any bad problems. I live on campus, so it stays at home mostly, but I'm considering getting an apartment off campus. Question is, how many of you drive your C3's as daily drivers (not in blizzards and huriccaines etc - duh.) and if I were going to starts driving this almost everyday, what are some things I could do to it to ensure reliability? The engines condition now is about 60K miles, runs good, and now weird vlave noises or anything. Any tidmits or tips would help, dont want to have to buy another car, but if I need to I may be able to find a cheap thing.

Thanks, Kevin.

Mine is not a daily driver (only gets out of the garage on weekends), but a lot of the same stuff applies. Basic maintenance is essential. Keep an eye on fluid levels, belt condition, brake pad wear, etc. Regular oil changes and a grease job when appropriate will keep her from wearing out too soon. Most of all though, if something starts acting up or weird noises start talking to you, find out what it is and take care of it immediately. Putting off needed repair work often can lead to more broken or worn parts than if it was fixed right away. Happy motoring and good luck in school.

I think the C3 makes a wonderful daily driver. My 78 has been a daily driver for the past 15 years, logging in over 250,000 miles.

We did replace the original engine with a crate some time ago and rebuilt that same crate ourselves last year. The rebuild has about 800 miles on it.

Basic maintenance and keeping on top of things will go a long way to keeping your vehicle on the road. As for priorities, safety issues first, then reliability issues with cosmetics last.
Happy driving!
Heidi :w

My 'vette is a daily driver--hurricane and blizzards too. Road trips, back roads, and beaches--forever--amen.

My Rules:

Replace whole systems, not just individual components.

Re-condition everything.

Put back as GM put in.

Upgrade where GM was cheap.

Mine is a daily driver that shares duty with a 79 Camaro. I only drive the vette during nice weather, but I do drive it to work and wherever I go by myself. (Have kids now and we don't all fit in the vette).

Somehow I manage to keep at least one on the road all the time. Little things pop up now and then, but I haven't had anything too major happen that I didn't instigate myself. Things that could've gone a bit longer like my rearend rebuild..

Daily driver=daily fun.:D

Do it! I did it through highschool and the first 3 years of college (still in college), even got stuck driving it in a freak snow storm once! No regrets, always brought me home. Having an old vette is hard in an apartment though; no room or facilities to work on it. My vote is to go for it.

-Tatortot

its doable, but be prepared for little things to creep up.

:) I do alot of driving .....I drive for twelve hours a day at my work....I drive a company car !.....my four days off , I drive the Vette....I only use my GMC on rain, snow ect. days....

It's an old car and things do break. Also, many collegiates' cars seldom get much care while school's in session ... then the cars often go long distances to distant party beaches or returning to Mom & Dad's (where most service is done ... but car w/issues may not make it home). Campus parking is often at a premium and folks are in a hurry and careless with their neighbors' cars. Get a beater for everyday school use ... pick up a good running 10-15 year old front wheel drive V6 Century or Ciera for $500-$1000. Reserve the vette for worthwhile dates.
JACK:gap

Jack said:
Reserve the vette for worthwhile dates.
JACK:gap

Isn't every date worthwhile?:L:L:L

I aggree, parking on campus is a nightmare. I drove my fully restored 68 chevy pickup to college, I racked up so many door dings, motorcycles falling over and hitting the fenders etc just in the school parking lot during class :mad

As far as daily driver, ANY old car can be a daily driver if you take care of it. tune ups, check fluids, oil changes etc. Remember they are 20+ years old and will always need a little TLC. Im a firm believer in: "if you take care of your tools/cars, they'll take care of you" I owned that 68 chevy truck I restored in highschool for 13 years. I sold it last summer :cry , so I could by ruby (the vette) :D I wouldn't have hesitated to drive it accross the country. be sure you check U-joint straps, all suspension bolts, grease the front suspension etc at least once a year.

have fun! :pat

hey guys, feedback looks good - i wouldnt say driving daily, but im living off campus within walking distance, so i would use it to run out of town, home, errands, etc. I think after a huge inspection this summer i may attempt it

Kevin...... I had my '72 in a townhouse development for two miserable years between owning houses with garages and I woke up every morning expecting it to be gone. Apartment life it tough on a collectable car. As for driving it daily, she should serve you well. But remember one thing, the car is 30 years old and some things simply have a shelf life. Parts will get harder (and more expensive) to find and knowledgeable mechanics you trust to work on a '75 Corvette even harder to find yet. If there is any way to find a nice $750 beater to drive around in I would highly recommend it. I know that's tough on a young guy getting out of college (been there.... done that). JMO...

Good luck :D

If you live off campus that is cool, especially on the paint etc. Good luck

I am going to start driving mine almost everyday to school, once I get it back.

kridgley said:
Question is, how many of you drive your C3's as daily drivers (not in blizzards and huriccaines etc - duh.) and if I were going to starts driving this almost everyday, what are some things I could do to it to ensure reliability? The engines condition now is about 60K miles, runs good, and now weird vlave noises or anything.

Sure- I drove a '78 through Highschool and two years of college.

Just make sure you have good brakes, a working defroster, working wipers, suspension that is aligned, a spare (either in a closet or under the car!), a car cover if you decide to park it outside. No fail items that need to work would be the windows (power or manual), working door handles and working locks...oh and GOOD WEATHERSTRIPPING!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom