Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: de-cluttering engine compartment

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
I have a number of questions concerning my engine.
1. I have some recent posts about replacing my exhaust manifolds and exhaust. http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S2IC1B0F3417332121250d~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050GWhile I do that I want to remove the AIR pump, A/C, cruise control, heat riser valve and replace the air filter and plastic air ducts with just a chrome air cleaner.
2. I have checked my exhaust everywhere and cannot find any sensors so I am assuming that my carb and distributor are replacements but how can I tell?
3. How can I remove all this stuff without screwing up my vacuum and that sort of stuff?
I have had similar posts in the past but unfortunately they all have confused me with technical info.

Where do I start?!?!?! (Remember, I am not that swift at this stuff, and FAR too cheap to pay someone to do it.LOL):boogie

ladams, I can help you with some of the questions you ask. To start, if you start removeing emissions and the computer system is still in place the system will go to a full rich mode which will get you home and the engine will run like crap. Do you see a check engine light on the dash when car is running or when key is on? If yes than the computer is still pluged in. Remove the air cleaner and look at the top front of the carb. If there is a 2 wire connector on the carb you have a stock carb. Look at the distributor and see if there is a vacuum advance canister with a rubber hose connecting to it. If not than you have a stock dist. Now if the carb and dizzy are stock they will have to be replaced if your going to unplug the computer. New carb can run $350 and up. New dist. $100 and up. This should get you started.

If the carb has wires going to it (a plug on the front and one on the top right front corner) in addition to the choke wire (going to the black plastic cap on the right side), you still have the E4ME. Also, the distributor will have a vacuum hose going to a small device on it if it is a replacement. If it only has wires going to it, it is the stock one.

Removing everything will lower your re-sale value. I know a lot of people say, "yea, but I am going to keep it forever so I want it my way". Then six months later, they are tired of it, or have a bill to pay and there it goes. If you are thinking this way, ask yourself, "How long have I ever kept a car in the past?" I've removed a lot of stuff from my car, but I still drive a '76 big block Suburban I bought when My wife and I started having kids (our oldest is now 20) and an '89 Harley I've had all along as well as My Vette that I've had for five years and drive as my main transportation. I really will keep it. If you've never kept a car longer than a few years, don't make it "yours". The next owner will thank you (with more money!).

Here are a few recommendations, take them or leave them:

Replace the exhaust with a good flowing system. If you still have the original carb and distributor, get an O2 sensor installed.

Take off the AIR, but sell it or put it in a box and keep it.

My A/C and Cruise control did not work when I got the car. Neither one is hard to fix (A/C does require a bit of know how and tools). I don't like to use cruise control, so I took it off and boxed it (with the AIR). The A/C I fixed and I recommend you do the same. I've seen people go for years without air because they assume it will be difficult and expensive to repair. Chances are you can get it working for $250 or less and actually be comfortable. Also, this is a BIGGIE when it comes to re-sale.

Finally, Replacing the stock air cleaner is a mistake, PERIOD! Get your engine hot, then crack the hood, stick your face in and try to breathe. As you try to breathe in the hot air, you will feel like you are suffocating. It is not the heat itself, or fumes from the engine, it is a lack of oxygen! The hot air under the hood becomes very thin. The car needs oxygen to run (just like you need it to breathe). The dual snorkle system is not restrictive for a stock to mildly modified engine, and gives the engine the cold dense air it needs to perform.

For more on this subject, I defer to Bubba:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/l81-vette-registry-forum/97454-letters-bubba.html

God bless, Sensei

If the carb has wires going to it (a plug on the front and one on the top right front corner) in addition to the choke wire (going to the black plastic cap on the right side), you still have the E4ME. Also, the distributor will have a vacuum hose going to a small device on it if it is a replacement. If it only has wires going to it, it is the stock one.

Removing everything will lower your re-sale value. I know a lot of people say, "yea, but I am going to keep it forever so I want it my way". Then six months later, they are tired of it, or have a bill to pay and there it goes. If you are thinking this way, ask yourself, "How long have I ever kept a car in the past?" I've removed a lot of stuff from my car, but I still drive a '76 big block Suburban I bought when My wife and I started having kids (our oldest is now 20) and an '89 Harley I've had all along as well as My Vette that I've had for five years and drive as my main transportation. I really will keep it. If you've never kept a car longer than a few years, don't make it "yours". The next owner will thank you (with more money!).

Here are a few recommendations, take them or leave them:

Replace the exhaust with a good flowing system. If you still have the original carb and distributor, get an O2 sensor installed.

Take off the AIR, but sell it or put it in a box and keep it.

My A/C and Cruise control did not work when I got the car. Neither one is hard to fix (A/C does require a bit of know how and tools). I don't like to use cruise control, so I took it off and boxed it (with the AIR). The A/C I fixed and I recommend you do the same. I've seen people go for years without air because they assume it will be difficult and expensive to repair. Chances are you can get it working for $250 or less and actually be comfortable. Also, this is a BIGGIE when it comes to re-sale.

Finally, Replacing the stock air cleaner is a mistake, PERIOD! Get your engine hot, then crack the hood, stick your face in and try to breathe. As you try to breathe in the hot air, you will feel like you are suffocating. It is not the heat itself, or fumes from the engine, it is a lack of oxygen! The hot air under the hood becomes very thin. The car needs oxygen to run (just like you need it to breathe). The dual snorkle system is not restrictive for a stock to mildly modified engine, and gives the engine the cold dense air it needs to perform.

For more on this subject, I defer to Bubba:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/l81-vette-registry-forum/97454-letters-bubba.html

God bless, Sensei

I agree with you on the removal of the stock air cleaner as I have found many other warnings against replacing it. But I do want to remove as much unnecessary stuff (hoses and wires) as possible for no other reason than "it's my car and I want to" LOL. The first thing I NEED to do is replace my exhaust because it is in bad shape. I don't see any sensors so I don't see any reason why I can't replace it with the system I listed above. Any other thoughts?

I agree with you on the removal of the stock air cleaner as I have found many other warnings against replacing it. But I do want to remove as much unnecessary stuff (hoses and wires) as possible for no other reason than "it's my car and I want to" LOL. The first thing I NEED to do is replace my exhaust because it is in bad shape. I don't see any sensors so I don't see any reason why I can't replace it with the system I listed above. Any other thoughts?

Trust me there is an Oxygen sensor there if the exhaust is stock - should be on the left side after the exhaust manifold. 2nd finding "For Road Use - vs. Off-Road" exhaust manifolds is going to be a task - NOTE: I said "For Road Use" - The stainless steel shorty headers you have on there now are unique to the 1980 California 305 and the 1981 L81. Finding new ones are going to be a challenge without changing out your entire exhaust system from front to back.
Removing ANY Emissions system is a Federal Offense - do it if you want - I personally don't screw around with it - Get a Crancky Cop who pulls you over and wants to enforce it - you'll be looking at a $5000.00 dollar a day fine, same goes for the catalytic converter, you can replace the one you got with a "High Flow" version and still be compliant with the law.

Removing ANY Emissions system is a Federal Offense - do it if you want - I personally don't screw around with it

Depends on the law where you reside. For us in this state if the vehicle is 20yrs or older then the vehicle is not required to pass emissions inspection and can be registered as historic or streetrod.

Depends on the law where you reside. For us in this state if the vehicle is 20yrs or older then the vehicle is not required to pass emissions inspection and can be registered as historic or streetrod.

I agree, you do not have to "Pass" an Emissions test - that doesn't mean you can legally remove any emissions systems that were installed on the vehicle. Emissions systems are Federally regulated and enforced by the states.

I agree, you do not have to "Pass" an Emissions test - that doesn't mean you can legally remove any emissions systems that were installed on the vehicle. Emissions systems are Federally regulated and enforced by the states.
I think you are mixing anecdote and old wives tales and coming up with something in between. As Vette79 said, there are some states that do mandate it, such as Cali. There are other states, such as Ohio that don't give a rat's arse what you do to your car if you have your car registered with the state as Collector or Historical vehicle.
If you are 100% positive of your statement, then I'm gonna have to pull out my Missouri state ID and say, "Show me!" the actual proof.

Think about it...with all the hundreds of car shows and specialty shows that take place daily around the country, and all these hundreds of cars showing off their clean engine bays with no emissions and whatnot. Don't you think that would just be easy pickins for law enforcement???

A personal owner can do whatever he wants to his car. A 'business' isn't supposed to remove emissions equipment though. Possibly that's what you are thinking of? :confused;shrug

I think you are mixing anecdote and old wives tales and coming up with something in between. As Vette79 said, there are some states that do mandate it, such as Cali. There are other states, such as Ohio that don't give a rat's arse what you do to your car if you have your car registered with the state as Collector or Historical vehicle.
If you are 100% positive of your statement, then I'm gonna have to pull out my Missouri state ID and say, "Show me!" the actual proof.

Think about it...with all the hundreds of car shows and specialty shows that take place daily around the country, and all these hundreds of cars showing off their clean engine bays with no emissions and whatnot. Don't you think that would just be easy pickins for law enforcement???

A personal owner can do whatever he wants to his car. A 'business' isn't supposed to remove emissions equipment though. Possibly that's what you are thinking of? :confused;shrug

Nope sorry you think that way - like I said try and legally have a muffler shop remove an installed catalytic converter and see what they tell you. They can loose their license - no reputable exhaust shop will do it. YOU on the other hand can do it in your back yard and most likely not have to worry about it because chances are you won't get caught because you don't have to pass an emissions test in your state due to the age or historic tags you have on your vehicle. Emissions systems went into effect in 1973 - they are mandated by the Federal Government and as such are required to remain on vehicles they were installed on. If you don't believe me go to your local exhaust shop and ask them what the fines are if they get caught removing ANY portion of an emissions system.
All those "OLD" cars at the car shows are fine up to 1972. Beyond that - technically if they have by-passed or removed their emissions systems they are in violation of a Federal Law. Chances are they will never be charged for the violation because there is not an enforcement agency out looking for them. I do not believe the EPA has enforcment agents on the street.

Evolution1980 said:
A personal owner can do whatever he wants to his car. A 'business' isn't supposed to ... Possibly that's what you are thinking of?
Nope, sorry you think that way. Like I said try and legally have a muffler shop remove an installed catalytic converter...
Ehh, not quite 'what you said'. :D
IrishJoker said:
Removing ANY Emissions system is a Federal Offense - do it if you want - Get a Crancky Cop who pulls you over and wants to enforce it - you'll be looking at a $5000.00 dollar a day fine, same goes for the catalytic converter, you can replace the one you got with a "High Flow" version and still be compliant with the law.
..that doesn't mean YOU can legally remove any emissions systems that were installed on the vehicle.

That is all.
:D :cool

We're on the same page...now. :beer

Ahhh .... now I get it, your philosophy is "Do what ever you want, until you get caught". :)

I have a number of questions concerning my engine.
1. I have some recent posts about replacing my exhaust manifolds and exhaust. http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000050g~Z5Z5Z5ABXYK~P609.00~~~~S2IC1B0F3417332121250d~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050GWhile I do that I want to remove the AIR pump, A/C, cruise control, heat riser valve and replace the air filter and plastic air ducts with just a chrome air cleaner.
2. I have checked my exhaust everywhere and cannot find any sensors so I am assuming that my carb and distributor are replacements but how can I tell?
3. How can I remove all this stuff without screwing up my vacuum and that sort of stuff?
I have had similar posts in the past but unfortunately they all have confused me with technical info.

Where do I start?!?!?! (Remember, I am not that swift at this stuff, and FAR too cheap to pay someone to do it.LOL):boogie

I think instead of removing it all, what would look nice is if you plastic chrome plated all the stock air cleaner and ducting, maybe some nice polished air cleaners and a chrome earlier distributor cover set. Toss in some chrome accessory brackets and it would look real nice even though it's cluttered.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom