Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dead Battery: Trickle Charge or Battery Disconnect

SatansVette

Corvette
2006 YLW, 2004 YLW & 1985 BLK
I have a 1500 mile, 2006 Coupe that, aside from battery issues, everything else functions properly. Since I store my Vette more than I actually drive it, up to Four months at a time; Should I be able to trust all would be OK leaving a "Battery Tender Plus" connected all winter OR would would it be wiser to simply disconnect the negative terminal from a fully charge battery . . . what would you recommend?

I'm going to try disconnecting my battery as mine will be in an area without power.When I stored my C5 and had a power sorce I hooked up the battery tender one day a week.

Battery tenders are designed to be left on all during storage, i store three vehicles and have used a tender since the early 80's and my batteries last at least 7-8 years. Disconnection the battery on a newer vehicle causes the PCM to loose all the driving data and will have to relearn.

Just went thru this the other day with my 07. Dead battery, towed to dealer (still under warranty), dealer charged battery and told me to put a Battery Tender on it if it's going to sit for more than 2 weeks.

Just went thru this the other day with my 07. Dead battery, towed to dealer (still under warranty), dealer charged battery and told me to put a Battery Tender on it if it's going to sit for more than 2 weeks.
Some batteries can become reliant on trickle chargers. A healthy battery will lose 1% of charge everyday. Best just get a new battery every 3-4 years. Drive you car more if possible.:D

HI there,
Do a search, you will find ACCURATE information.
Dealerships telling you to trickle charge your battery should be avoided at ALL COSTS!!!!
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
Dealerships telling you to trickle charge your battery should be avoided at ALL COSTS!!!!
Allthebest, c4c5

Hi c4c5!!

I have the battery tender on my battery now because the car will sit for about 2 weeks, maybe more. Is this OK to do??
I bought the car new a year and a half ago, and who knows how long the battery thats in it has been around. I plan on getting a new battery this spring.
Thanks,

Chris

New C6 Product..................

I'm going to try disconnecting my battery as mine will be in an area without power.When I stored my C5 and had a power sorce I hooked up the battery tender one day a week.

from GMJunkie.com!

C6 Battery Quick Disconnect!!
biggrin.gif

Tired of Dead Battery's after just 1-2 weeks storage??
smiley7.gif

Don't have power outlet in storage facility to power a Battery Tender???
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

Well,We at GMJunkie.com have came up with a Superior Product for solution of this problem!!
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

We Call it the "Vett Boy" C6 Battery Quick Disconnect!!
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Kit comes with Complete C6 Boot Up and Window Indexing Instructions meticulously plagiarized directly from your owners manual!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

At the super low price of just $49.95 Retail!!
thumb.gif

CAC Members 25% off and free shipping the rest of January!!~!
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

smiley28.gif
biggrin.gif

:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

attachment.php

Save the Wave!!:w:w:w :thumb

:pat :D:D:D

Help please!

I just bought my 2008 Vette this past February and am preparing to store it for the first time this winter. I plan on driving it when possible but it will likely sit for several weeks at a time without being driven. I may go start it and let it run in the garage if needed but I would like the best option if I have to let it sit for weeks at a time.

Several people say they use trickle chargers with great success while others say they have heard not to use them. I have looked into the battery disconnects, both ones that totally disconnect the battery and ones that allow a jumper for some of the electronics. I am trying to figure out the best answer for me.

Questions:
1. The battery disconnect that still powers the electronics - wouldn't that still drain the battery? What exactly is it saving? Seems like it would be the same as if I just left the battery connected as the electronics are the only thing pulling any power while it sits, correct? Or am I missing something?

2. Is there a good solution or is it one where you have to figure the lesser of two evils? Seems like there are proponents in both camps - trickle charger versus battery disconnect. Can someone give me solid arguments to convince me one solution is THE best?

3. Depending on which way I go, anyone have a recommendation for a trickle charger or battery disconnect? I went to the GM Junkie site one poster recommended but the site was not very well constructed IMO. Could not find the part. No search feature and was not on the Parts and Accessories page so I did not bother with it.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated,
Keith

I have two Vette's that are laid up in the winter, I look at it this way, :ughFIRE...........Disconnecting eliminates that issue if it arises, A battery tender means to me that the unattened vehicles electrical sys.,( usually 4 months) is HOT, s&*t happens, I'd rather the vehicle goes thru it's learning process and reprogram the radio than deal with the other possibilities. In the spring I reconnect and I'm good to go, most of the time without charging the battery, if I left either 88/99 batt. connected for the lay up, without a doubt they would be completely dead...........

HI there,
Allthebest, c4c5
Agreed and if I'm not mistaken Gm recommends disconnecting the battery during storage .

When ever I've disconnected my c5 or my c6 I've had no problem at all .No reprogramming no window indexing nothing .See previous post by GM Junkie for the required tool .:D

Clarification of terms...

After reading the last few posts I think it might be prudent to point out that a trickle charger and a battery tender are NOT the same thing. Anyone who advises you to use a trickle charger during winter storage obviously owns stock in Exide or Duralast!! A battery tender monitors the voltage of your battery and only adds current as necessary to maintain a full charge. A trickle charger WILL over charge your battery an shorten it's life as it charges constantly regardless of need.

So:

Trickle Charger = BAD :bash

Battery Tender = GOOD :thumb

Anyone have any experience with Battery Tender Plus? Sounds like a much more sophisticated "trickle charger". Sounds like it has technology to avoid any damage that a regular trickle charger can cause and claims to actually extend the life of the battery. All reviews I have read on it sound very good.

Following video was pretty good. NOTE: I found it cheaper on Amazon though.

Battery Tender 12V

There are thousands of car owners myself included and have never had a problem with a battery tender. As for disconnection the battery, you will definitely loose fuel & timing tables and that will require a relearn by driving 100 miles. Starting a stored vehicle and starting it up occasionally is the worst thing you can do because condensation will collect in the exhaust system and crankcase. The only way is to drive for an hour and get the vehicle throughly up to operating temps.

BigJimZ16 and redvett,

Thanks very much for the replies!!!

I had just started to figure out the difference between the trickle charger vs. battery tender - never knew about the battery tender until today.

Also thanks for the tip about NOT starting occasionally. Any other storage suggestions? Do you guys put the car on jack stands to avoid flat spots in the tires or anything like that? How about any moisture absorbing material?

Any storage tips at all from anyone will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

First of all a proper trickle charger, ie: a "smart" charger which ramps down the charge rate as the battery voltage comes up to an optimum 12.6V, is not an "evil" and in the lesser of two evils.

A good trickle charger, such as the AutoMeter Battery Extenders I use, or similar products, can extend the life of a battery in a car which sees long periods of storage by as much as 40% in my experience.

Disconnecting a battery is not a good choice either because a fact of life is that a battery discharges on it's own over time. Store the car for four months with the battery disconnected and, depending on the quality of the battery and it's condition when you unhooked it, it might be at least low and perhaps "dead" when you reconnect.

Bottom line: a smart trickle charger is the best choice.

The ones I use are the AutoMeters. I've got them for most of my cars which see periods of non-use and I've been using that product for about ten years. There's a more in-depth review of the AutoMeter Battery Extender at Battery Extender - Corvette Product Reviews

BigJimZ16 and redvett,

Thanks very much for the replies!!!

I had just started to figure out the difference between the trickle charger vs. battery tender - never knew about the battery tender until today.

Also thanks for the tip about NOT starting occasionally. Any other storage suggestions? Do you guys put the car on jack stands to avoid flat spots in the tires or anything like that? How about any moisture absorbing material?

Any storage tips at all from anyone will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
For the tires just over pressure tires for storage 15 psi over your normal settings and do not forget to check the PSI in the spring. Its worked for me on my vehicles for years without any problems.

:beer Great tips.
Another is that us in cold country have to watch out for freezing batteries. When a battery discharges (naturally - even if disconnected) the electrolyte converts to water which can freeze as water will do. It may rupture the case and is not good. Even if it doesnt rupture the battery, it can be considered trashed. It MAY be revived after thawing but will fail within a few weeks.
So every few weeks recharge, even if out of the car to keep from freezing.
A battery tender/recharge/trickle in moderation will keep it charged and that will keep it from freezing.

Disconnecting a battery is not a good choice either because a fact of life is that a battery discharges on it's own over time.

Bottom line: a smart trickle charger is the best choice.
Ya got me on this one Hib.Now the car is stored in a self storage unit in Orlando 4-8 weeks at a time .There is no electricity available.

I usually fly in from Maine or New Hampshire on a late flight So if I don't feel like waiting two hours for AAA .

What do I do Hib?;shrug

Idea-
get one of those jump battery units and keep it in the car. that way you will have a spare to jump start yourself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom