Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
{Please excuse my harshness in the message below...I just got back from the dealer myself}

It's things like this that are giving GM a bad name. I had one dealer wreck my car and do over $3000 worth of damage (see my post earlier in this thread for details)....I had another dealer ruin the clear top on my showroom new 9 year old 40th Anniversary Vette (17K miles). BOTH dealers gave me the run-around for something they clearly did. Luckily in my cases the dealership came through, but not without a fight. In both cases I was made to feel like it was all my fault, even after catching the dealer in a lie.

I am STRONGLY considering selling my Vette and never owning another GM. I just got back 10 minutes ago from picking up my 1999 Vette that has a transmission leak. I was just told this "We can see where the transmission is wet, but we can't see the source of the leak. You'll have to bring it back if it gets worse." This was even after I cleaned the underside last weekend. Funny thing is, my extended warranty runs out 6/25/04. Do you think that was a coincidence? Probably so, but it's still frustrating. I could write a 10 page message here on all the crap that I have had to put up with GM over the past 22 years of owning them, but it won't help the situation here.

One thing worth mentioning. NUMOROUS people in this thread say "Call GM Corporate"....guess what, that is not going to do a damn thing for you. GM will tell you the same thing they told me. The service departments are the responsibility of the dealer, not GM corporate. You are wasting your time if you call them....trust me on this.

I hope everything works out, but I won't hold my breath. PLEASE hire a lawyer. C

dealers are owned and operated separately

I do not believe that GM should be acting in such a way that they give the impression they do not have any say in how this dispute will be resolved.When my '92 was under warranty and was having the optispark changed I received a letter from GM asking me plenty of questions(survey).They wanted to know how I was treated at the dealer.I can't believe that they would remove themselves from this incident.....I hope someone at GM decides to do something to help....Funny how every single employee at GM is wanting to please you before you buy "america's true sports car" but then they vanish when they actually can help......PS; ALL dealers are the same no matter what manufacturer.....I hope this turns out in such a way that GM does save their reputation because that is what is on the line.

Over 22,000 views!

This thread has received a LOT of attention.
(JV_Vette, since the problem was documented before the warranty expires, shouldn't you be ok?)

Tammy

Stewart's Automotive...

barnetdh said:
I just called my wife. She was able to track down he owner of Stewart's Automotive while I've been out of town I'll fire off a letter as soon as I get back.

His name is Paul Montalbano, c/o Stewart Automotive, 780 Serramonte Bld., Colma, CA 94014

- Dave

That's about an hour from me...It seems Stewart has several dealerships...here's their website...
<http://www.stewartcars.com>

woc

I am watching and waiting to see if Stewart Auto Group "does the right thing" and gives you a car...not the one they dropped. I suspect they will find you what they consider a comparable car and offer it to you. They won't likely give you the 01 on their lot, but find another that is closer in value to your car...in their opinion. It will then be your decision to either accept it or fight them (with Attorney fees of course) for a better offer. I completely agree that most dealerships and many other auto repair shops are shoddy at best. I always try to do my own work whenever possible. Ya just can't trust most folks with your Vette. Best regards and my prayers are with you Dave!

sent ane email of support

i sent an email and gave them a professional thought -- replace the car and do the right thing -- good luck

Taking photos.....

Digital cameras are so wonderful!!!!!!!

You can get great deals on them! I got mine from refurbdepot.com 4 megapixels for like about 300 bucks. They are refurbished but carry a new warranty. If you take a lot of pics, consider getting one. Makes uploading photos easier too!!!!!

barnetdh said:
I have more pictures to get developed. Unfortunately, the camera was in my briefcase, and I brought it with me -- otherwise my wife would already would had them developed. I'll get them developed as soon as I return.

- Dave

My goodness, I hope you continue to be a vette owner.

But, I understand your frustration with GM!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience and hopefully, GM will make a turn around and finally help someone out!

JR_Vette said:
{Please excuse my harshness in the message below...I just got back from the dealer myself}

It's things like this that are giving GM a bad name. I had one dealer wreck my car and do over $3000 worth of damage (see my post earlier in this thread for details)....I had another dealer ruin the clear top on my showroom new 9 year old 40th Anniversary Vette (17K miles). BOTH dealers gave me the run-around for something they clearly did. Luckily in my cases the dealership came through, but not without a fight. In both cases I was made to feel like it was all my fault, even after catching the dealer in a lie.

I am STRONGLY considering selling my Vette and never owning another GM. I just got back 10 minutes ago from picking up my 1999 Vette that has a transmission leak. I was just told this "We can see where the transmission is wet, but we can't see the source of the leak. You'll have to bring it back if it gets worse." This was even after I cleaned the underside last weekend. Funny thing is, my extended warranty runs out 6/25/04. Do you think that was a coincidence? Probably so, but it's still frustrating. I could write a 10 page message here on all the crap that I have had to put up with GM over the past 22 years of owning them, but it won't help the situation here.

One thing worth mentioning. NUMOROUS people in this thread say "Call GM Corporate"....guess what, that is not going to do a damn thing for you. GM will tell you the same thing they told me. The service departments are the responsibility of the dealer, not GM corporate. You are wasting your time if you call them....trust me on this.

I hope everything works out, but I won't hold my breath. PLEASE hire a lawyer. C

cars.com listing of all 1997 Corvette's with less than 40K
*edit* bad link. . .cars.com --> used cars--> advanced search(I put in 1997 Vette with 0-40K, all zipcodes. There were 8 cars, from 11k miles to 34K, from $18k to $27k
*edit*

Hello,

I found this thread linked on www.nasioc.com (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) Friday afternoon (it's now Monday night).

I'm watching this to see the outcome. My mom lives about 45mi north east of San Fran in Fairfield, CA and if the outcome is bad, I'll put it on my agenda next time I'm visiting to drop by this dealership.

Although I don't own a chevy (I had a IROC back when I was 18, close enough?) I have had dealings with an AWESOME chevy dealer here in Illinois. Back in Feb 2002 I bought my WRX from Bernard Chevy in Libertyville, IL. I was so impressed with my salesman, Jason McClenan (sp?) from there , that when my sister (also in Fairfield) went to buy a Cavalier last fall and the dealership in her town told her 18K for a base model Cavalier, I told he I'ld talk to Jason. My dad and I went in and found her a LS for a heck of alot less that the 18K base model (did I mention that hers has CD, power everything, and remote keyless, all things that the base 18K one didn't have?).

Fast forward to Oct of last year, and I was rethinking my financial situation and sold my beloved WRX and was in the market again for a car. I talked to Jason a third time and I was almost in a 02 "pull me over" yellow with chrome wheels Cavalier. I was unable to see myself driving that car (sorry-import guy for life!) I specifically called Jason FIRST and told him my situation and asked what he had in stock. The cav was the best, sportiest car that was in my price range. I ended up buy else where (2 times, first a Integra GSR that I sold recently for my beloved 4th MR2-did I mention that I traded in a MR2 for the WRX, something I shouldn't have done, in retropsect) but hey, live and learn.

So I called Jason up and told him about this story and this site (as he has a 95 plum vette, IIRC.) So he's on both sides of the fence, a vetter enthusiest and works for dealer. I don't know if he ever got to see this thread, as he had just recently gotten rid of his email/internet access.

Did I mention that Bernard Chevy has a monthly Vette Cruise night one Thurs a month?

If anyone in the area is ever interested in a Chevy, call Jason at Bernard and tell him that David Alfonso refered you.

Ok, I'll stop now, as I put this thread in my favorites and I'll check it every now and again when I can. . .

Good luck to Barndeth

David
www.blue-sun.net

Great Update on Getting the Owner's Name!!!!

This is excellent news. At least you have the name and address of the owner!
I would still see about trying to get a phone number. Your patience is amazing Barnetdh! I do believe patience wins every time and I think you are handling this well. I already expressed how I would feel, but I admire your control.

I also want to thank all of those who have visited CAC and read our links! Thank you for posting and giving us your thoughts.

I also would like to thank Grumpy, who if I recall correctly is a moderator at Corvette Forum. Thanks for coming in to visit the thread and linking us to areas over there regarding matters like this one. In times like this, different forums need to work together to make a difference. This is definitely one of those times!

Visitors to CAC, by all means please join and let us know where you are from. It would be great to know what cities are aware of this! The more people who know about this, the more chance that something good will happen! We would love to hear from everyone!

I received a message from Barnetdh. As usual, he is calm and collected and absolutely DELIGHTED about the response that his story is receiving. I am also glad that he was able to get the owner's name. This is a good development. I really think the owner may not even know what is going on! Contacting the owner would be a big plus in my opinion!

Let's try to remain positive!

the blackvette

Welcome blue-sun!!!!!!!!

Thanks for joining and checking in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, thanks for sharing your stories with us!!!!! It is so interesting to read different experiences car owners have posted!

Regarding the WRX, I know someone who just got one and I have some great pictures of them. I will put them up one day!!!! You post inspired me! I drove that car and that car is pretty darn fast!!!!! I was pretty impressed. It had the turbo gauge and everything!!!!

Thanks again!

blue-sun said:
cars.com listing of all 1997 Corvette's with less than 40K
*edit* bad link. . .cars.com --> used cars--> advanced search(I put in 1997 Vette with 0-40K, all zipcodes. There were 8 cars, from 11k miles to 34K, from $18k to $27k
*edit*

Hello,

I found this thread linked on www.nasioc.com (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) Friday afternoon (it's now Monday night).

I'm watching this to see the outcome. My mom lives about 45mi north east of San Fran in Fairfield, CA and if the outcome is bad, I'll put it on my agenda next time I'm visiting to drop by this dealership.

Although I don't own a chevy (I had a IROC back when I was 18, close enough?) I have had dealings with an AWESOME chevy dealer here in Illinois. Back in Feb 2002 I bought my WRX from Bernard Chevy in Libertyville, IL. I was so impressed with my salesman, Jason McClenan (sp?) from there , that when my sister (also in Fairfield) went to buy a Cavalier last fall and the dealership in her town told her 18K for a base model Cavalier, I told he I'ld talk to Jason. My dad and I went in and found her a LS for a heck of alot less that the 18K base model (did I mention that hers has CD, power everything, and remote keyless, all things that the base 18K one didn't have?).

Fast forward to Oct of last year, and I was rethinking my financial situation and sold my beloved WRX and was in the market again for a car. I talked to Jason a third time and I was almost in a 02 "pull me over" yellow with chrome wheels Cavalier. I was unable to see myself driving that car (sorry-import guy for life!) I specifically called Jason FIRST and told him my situation and asked what he had in stock. The cav was the best, sportiest car that was in my price range. I ended up buy else where (2 times, first a Integra GSR that I sold recently for my beloved 4th MR2-did I mention that I traded in a MR2 for the WRX, something I shouldn't have done, in retropsect) but hey, live and learn.

So I called Jason up and told him about this story and this site (as he has a 95 plum vette, IIRC.) So he's on both sides of the fence, a vetter enthusiest and works for dealer. I don't know if he ever got to see this thread, as he had just recently gotten rid of his email/internet access.

Did I mention that Bernard Chevy has a monthly Vette Cruise night one Thurs a month?

If anyone in the area is ever interested in a Chevy, call Jason at Bernard and tell him that David Alfonso refered you.

Ok, I'll stop now, as I put this thread in my favorites and I'll check it every now and again when I can. . .

Good luck to Barndeth

David
www.blue-sun.net

Thumbs Up Ruby Red!!!!

Many thanks Ruby Red!!!!!!!!!

Ruby Red said:
i sent an email and gave them a professional thought -- replace the car and do the right thing -- good luck

I plan on making a flyer to distribute

this weekend at my local cruise in!

There are a lot of vette owners that show up!

They would be interested in this and I think they would be quite concerned as I know several get their cars serviced at the dealership.

I will work on this flyer if I see that Barnetdh gets nowhere in the next couple of days.

I am still hopeful something good will happen!

I'm a die-hard member of Corvette Crew from North eastern Alabama. I currently have a '94 and a Greenwood C3. I have posted a link to this thread on the site. We have nothing but hard core Vette enthusiasts that are all about watching out for each other any way we can.

We're all hoping for a great outcome with this and will help all we can :)

Good luck barnetdh,
Huffer

theblackvette said:
Thanks for joining and checking in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, thanks for sharing your stories with us!!!!! It is so interesting to read different experiences car owners have posted!

Regarding the WRX, I know someone who just got one and I have some great pictures of them. I will put them up one day!!!! You post inspired me! I drove that car and that car is pretty darn fast!!!!! I was pretty impressed. It had the turbo gauge and everything!!!!

Thanks again!

theblackvette

I loved my WRX when I had it. It was a blast. In case you couldn't tell from my post, I go thru cars pretty often (an expensive, but rewarding habit)
Here's a list of the "cool" cars that I've owned since I began driving 10 1/2 years ago (in order)
1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S Hatchback (dad's)
1989 Chevy Camaro IROC Z-28
1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
1991 Toyota MR2 Non Turbo
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
1995 Acura Integra GSR
1993 Toyota MR2 Non Turbo *for now*

Also,

here are some pics of my MR2 after a recent detail click for pics
(you can click an image to get a larger image) and there are also some pics of a *show* WRX (that just took 1st place in "Asian" at a local NOPI event this past weekend) that I recently detailed (I detail on the side, incase you couldn't tell)
Here's my favorite reflection pic, of his WRX off my door
9.jpg

I'll stop hyjacking this thread and keep it on topic. . .

:_rock

David

Barnetdh,

Congradulations on your sucessful search for the owner of Stewart Chevrolet.

I've been keeping up with this thread from the start and can't believe what has transpired. I was on a club run with 30 other vettes this weekend and spread the news to all that would listen. I am amazed at and respectful of your patience in dealing with the $%#&ing morons at this dealership.

Please don't hesitate to get that message hand carried by special messenger if necessary to the owner of this dealership. I truly believe that if he knows of this situation and takes a good look at the resulting common interest, support and outrage this issue has and is building among true car enthuiasts, his concern for his own future bottom line as a GM dealer will have him do the right thing.
That's number ONE!

Number TWO: He might consider taking a good hard look at just who he has running his day to day operations.

Good Luck, Stay Strong!
Rob

I got a message from the owner of the body shop yesterday. He said the agreed upon price for repair was $10,799, and he wanted my authorization to proceed. I'm not sure who did the agreeing, because I wasn't in on it. I left a message that I absolutely do not authorize repairs. I have to speak to the insurance company tomorrow, and want to ask them about the diminshed value, and what they intend to do about it. Kelly Blue Book, private sale value is $24,600. Given the extent of the accident, there's no way I could get close to that.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what I really could get for my C5, assuming it's "repaired" and I can actually find someone who would buy it? I'd want to make sure that the accident is listed in the history, because I couldn't dump a car like this on someone without letting them know what the real deal is. I want to let the insurance company know how short they are in compensation.

No word from anyone else yet.

Regards to my friends on the forum, and all my other supporters!!!!!!!!!!
- Dave

And they call this "Minor Damage??????"

HERE IS AN IDEA!!!!!!!!

Tell them you will not even consider them touching your car unless they give you the phone number of the owner so you can contact him personally and discuss this. It appears you have the name, but no phone number. The address you have is of the dealership.

Agree to nothing. This is an estimated amount. I think you will have a difficult time selling the car if it has had damage in excess of 10K!!!!!

Then you will even lose money from the devaluation. You do not have to do anything. Wait for the insurance company. See what they will do for you. I still say they should total the vehicle.

It is apalling for this dealership to continue to pressure you. I am planning on contacting GM with the information you sent me. My verbage will be quite strong, but respectful.

However, contacting the owner is a must. I would turn your head the other way until they cough up the phone number of the owner. The owner probably doesn't even know about this. Their actions suggest to just want to get this over and done with and sweep it under the carpet.

Stay strong!

barnetdh said:
I got a message from the owner of the body shop yesterday. He said the agreed upon price for repair was $10,799, and he wanted my authorization to proceed. I'm not sure who did the agreeing, because I wasn't in on it. I left a message that I absolutely do not authorize repairs. I have to speak to the insurance company tomorrow, and want to ask them about the diminshed value, and what they intend to do about it. Kelly Blue Book, private sale value is $24,600. Given the extent of the accident, there's no way I could get close to that.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what I really could get for my C5, assuming it's "repaired" and I can actually find someone who would buy it? I'd want to make sure that the accident is listed in the history, because I couldn't dump a car like this on someone without letting them know what the real deal is. I want to let the insurance company know how short they are in compensation.

- Dave

even if the insurance company doesn't total it, you can take the car to a different dealer (or other body shop) to have the work done. I wouldn't let them do anything else to the car at this point.

barnetdh said:

- Dave

Agreed to estimate means that the insurance company appraiser and the body shop have inspected the car and have agreed on the cost to repair it. This is of course subject to supplemental charges.

You need to fax a letter to Stewart indicating that they will not be doing the repairs, period, and that if the car turns out to be repairable that you will have the shop of your choice arrange to pick up the car. In California, as will most states you have the right to select the shop. Demand a copy of the estimate.

This is the last time I will say this but get your car out of there. They have not been trustworthy in the past. Why would you continue to trust them with your car.

Find out what the insurance company has to say about how firm the estimate is. They want to pay the lessor of two values; either the cost to repair or the value of the vehicle.

You can build the value of the repairs up. For example, the repair costs are almost $11,000. Do they expect supplementals for undiscovered damage. Add this in. Do they owe you a rental car (no rental if the car is totaled)? If so, determine how long they anticipate to repair the car and multiply this by the daily cost of a rental. Example, $11,000 plus a $2,500 supplemental plus 15 days of rental at $35 per day and you have a cost on repair in the $14,000 range.

Now take the cost to total. Say the value of your car is $24,600. If they total it, they are going to sell it to a third party as salvage. Say $5,000. Say the diminished value of the car (assuming you are entitled to this in California) is $6,000. Their net out of pocket for totaling the car is now $13,600. Particularly if they expect supplementals they would be more inclined to total out the vehicle rather than face the uncertainty of repairs.

Go to a couple of dealers away from the Stewarts (rest assured if you are talking to your buddies about this car, they are talking to their dealer buddies as well) shop and bring the estimate and a description of the car. Find out what they would list the car for with and without the damages. The difference is your decrease in value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom