Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree with how the dealer is handling this situation at all. If it were my Corvette, I would be having a "consultation" with the owner of the dealership and my attorney behind closed doors and it would take every ounce of strength in my body to restrain my temper.

Accidents happen and I can accept that. However, I cannot accept the dealership's desire to conduct a patchwork job rather than replace the car all together.

In my opinion this is the pinnacle of ****-poor customer service and completely inexcusable.

Last but not least, I haven't bothered to read though all the pages of this thread, but has anyone noticed this? Take a close look at the frame rail in the lower right hand corner of this picture:

attachment.php

Now take a look at the image blown up. It's either a drip mark from something or a cracked frame? In my unprofessional opinion, based upon this photo alone and not seeing the car in person, it looks like a cracked frame. If that is in fact the case, in my opinion, the dealer has an obligation to replace this car without any further hassle or mention of a patchwork job to the owner. End of story.

If the dealer was truly concerned about its reputation and prided itself on pleasing its customers, increasing future return customers and conducting simple, fair and moral business practices, the dealership would immediately agree to replace the car and conduct a thorough investigation in order to determine if the car was dropped due to equipment failure or technician error. If the technician was at fault, then the dealership should either suspend without pay for an indefinite period of time, or completely terminate the technician. Period.

Good eyes that does look like the frames is cracked. However it could be an oil drip. Either way he still needs a new car. This is bordering on ridiculous.

-Andy

atmmac said:
Good eyes that does look like the frames is cracked. However it could be an oil drip. Either way he still needs a new car. This is bordering on ridiculous.

-Andy
I thought of that as well, but what's leading me to believe that it's a crack is that there doesn't appear to be a source of the "drip". In other words, if you look at the top of the "crack", there appears to be no source for a drip to appear/start, and as you follow the "crack down from top to bottom, it appears to become larger at the bottom.

Here is the image magnified even more. If you take a good look at it, it follows the pattern of a lightning bolt - the pattern of a crack and not the typical pattern you'd expect to see with a drip.

Rob said:
Here is the image magnified even more. If you take a good look at it, it follows the pattern of a lightning bolt - the pattern of a crack and not the typical pattern you'd expect to see with a drip.
"Aww heck. We got 'ole Jimmy over thar in paint-n-body that can weld that up just good'is new. By the time he gets done w'it you won't even know it's thar!" :)

Rob, Thanks for Checking In!

A picture is worth a thousand words. It does appear to be cracked.

Even if it was a drip, they should give barnetdh a replacement car. The damage he described to me over the phone in greater detail leaves me to believe that the damage will be in the tens of thousands to repair. Good lord, barnetdh had NOTHING to do with this and they are making him out to be the bad guy saying they don't understand why he is being so uncooperative.

I also am perplexed about their comments about message forums. He posted that they laughed it off because they (the dealership) has 20 years experience and what do we know? What a crock!

They have no right to question the way he is acting.

As I said before and someone else said they were with me, that if they did this to my car I would be required to have a deputy sherriff to accompamy me to the dealership. I would literally lose it and scream right in the showroom with language that would offend most everyone here. I continue to be amazed at how patient barnetdh is at this time. He tells me that he will be hearing from his insurance company this week. Currently, he is on a business trip and will be updating us in the next couple of days.

I continue to be proud of the people coming to visit CAC and lend their support. Barnetdh is likely to make some sort of decision as soon as he hears from his insurance company. I think the recommendations that he settle with his insurance company are the better, however, the amount must be a fair amount. What would determine that amount? How much should he receive? It is also important to try to contact the owner to this dealership to be sure he even knows about what happened to barnetdh's car.

To StewartCars-Do the right thing and make the sacrafice. Replace his car with the convertible you have on your lot and be done with this. Thank you!

Best regards,

the blackvette

theblackvette said:
I think the recommendations that he settle with his insurance company are the better, however, the amount must be a fair amount. What would determine that amount? How much should he receive?

Go to Kelly Blue Book on the web and they will give you the range for wholesale and retail. Look in the paper and see what they are going for in the area. Go to a couple of dealer's web sites.

Average the prices out and he has just done what a professional appraiser would earn $100 to do. I would also ask for tax and licence fees and any other charges that would be incurred in purchasing another car.

Rob said:
It sure looks suspicious. I think I would have to take a trip back to the dealer to have a second look at that mark/crack. It could be something (brake, clutch, etc..) leaked when the car fell and dripped down the frame rail...then again for that much damage to be done to the body, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were indeed a crack. Hopefully it is, and he can have even more ammo to get a replacement (as if he didn't have enough already!).

I would be surprise if that was a crack. But in any event, what was damaged to allow a fluid to drip down the framerail?

Big Black Eye for GM dealerships

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me this whole incident (and more importantly, the aftermath--how the customer has been treated) is a HUGE black eye for GM dealerships nationwide and therefore for GM itself.

Yes, this is one dealership. But what is so distrubing to me as a GM customer is that the company is not willing to step in and set this dealership straight.

I never service my cars at the dealer, and here is just one more big reason why.

Another look!

Barnetdh should definitely take a second look!

I recommend that Barnetdh take as many photos as possible and to take some close up shots of the more suspicious areas.

I have seen so many links at other corvette sites getting his story out.

This is such a great thing.

Barnetdh should be back soon as he is on a business trip. I spoke with him over the weekend and he is currently awaiting correspondence from his insurance company.

If anything new comes up he will definitely update us.

I like Bobchad's idea about how to value the car. Hopefully, Barnetdh will not have to hear it from insurance company and they will be reasonable with him.

I still, believe it or not, still say if the owner is contacted and he didn't know about this then I think it is possible that Barnetdh may get relief. Perhaps, with the new convertible.

Contacting the owner is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all helping out with the rally!!!!!!

JR_Vette said:
It sure looks suspicious. I think I would have to take a trip back to the dealer to have a second look at that mark/crack. It could be something (brake, clutch, etc..) leaked when the car fell and dripped down the frame rail...then again for that much damage to be done to the body, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were indeed a crack. Hopefully it is, and he can have even more ammo to get a replacement (as if he didn't have enough already!).

theblackvette said:
He posted that they laughed it off because they (the dealership) has 20 years experience and what do we know? What a crock!

Best regards,

the blackvette
I think they have 20 years experience in monkey business!!! I think that picture says it all. It must be a crack because the pattern is the reverse of a drip and looks exactly like a crack would look. If the shoe fits, then wear it. More ammo for your case.

theblackvette said:
I also am perplexed about their comments about message forums. He posted that they laughed it off because they (the dealership) has 20 years experience and what do we know? What a crock!
Their 20 years of experience couldn't prevent a car from falling off their lift.

He needs to get the car out of their shop to make sure he has control over what happens to it.

I wouldn't be surprised that if he doesn't have it fixed there that they try and charge him storage.

sothpaw said:
I don't know about the rest of you, but to me this whole incident (and more importantly, the aftermath--how the customer has been treated) is a HUGE black eye for GM dealerships nationwide and therefore for GM itself.

Yes, this is one dealership. But what is so distrubing to me as a GM customer is that the company is not willing to step in and set this dealership straight.

I never service my cars at the dealer, and here is just one more big reason why.

I think he did contact GM and their only line was, "Each dealership is independently owned and operated." While that is true, this has caused a HUGE black eye for the whole.

Short of legal action, I don't think they're going to do things right.

AMEN Rob and GWiz

I just sent Barnetdh an PM requesting more specific pictures. Especially the ones that appear to show a crack or drip.

He did send me a PM expressing his gratitude. He will be returning home in the next couple of days.

I do have all of his contact phone numbers and he invited me to call him.

However, I know that he is involved with his business meetings all day, so it would not make sense for me to interupt him.

I also think he told me that he was going back just before he left town to take some more photos. I am sure we will be seeing some new ones soon!

But yeah, that 20 year comment. What a crock of bull!!!!!!!!

Rob said:
Their 20 years of experience couldn't prevent a car from falling off their lift.

Yeah, wouldn't that be icing on the cake, charging him storage!!!!!

Next they will say how gracious he should be because they are lending him a Buick!!!!!!

Is it really a good idea to get the car out of their shop? If he does that can they say that the frame damage may have been done during transport rather then at their shop?

From the comments that I have been hearing that Barnetdh is reporting they will say anything!!!!!!

bobchad said:
He needs to get the car out of their shop to make sure he has control over what happens to it.

I wouldn't be surprised that if he doesn't have it fixed there that they try and charge him storage.

Edmond said:
I think he did contact GM and their only line was, "Each dealership is independently owned and operated." While that is true, this has caused a HUGE black eye for the whole.

Short of legal action, I don't think they're going to do things right.
Couple things to keep in mind here though. The relationship between GM and GM dealerships is the same as the relationship between Ford, and Chrysler, and all of their dealerships. If this same thing happened at a Ford dealership, Ford would probably respond in the same way.

Each dealership is owned and operated independently from the manufacturer. The dealer does nothing more than purchase the cars from the manufacturer and sell them.

The fact is, the dealership is at fault and not General Motors. If the car failed or the damage was incurred due to an inherent flaw/failure of the car, then yes, the fault/responsibility would lie on the side of the manufacturer.

This incident and how it's handled, really shouldn't be a reflection upon GM. If for example, there was some kind of design flaw in the engine which caused it to blow. And GM refused to send out a field inspector/Engineer to inspect the situation, then yes, something like this would be a strong negative towards GM, but again, this problem was caused by dealer equipment failure and/or technician error/negligence and not the manufacturer.

theblackvette said:
Is it really a good idea to get the car out of their shop? If he does that can they say that the frame damage may have been done during transport rather then at their shop?

They can say anything they want but they have to prove it. I suspect that they think the car is repairable and think they are going to do the repairs. If it were my car, I would want control over it particularly in light of this heated dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom