Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnetdh,
One question to ask your self. "What's your goal here?" Is it to get your kick ass Corvette transportation, or are you trying to get back at the bastards who did this to your poor baby. (If it were me I would be ****ed too and ready to take it out on the first dealer employee in ear shot). But the real question is what's your goal. Figure that out and the rest is easy. Trust me with 5300 views to this thread it's a good bet that the damage has been done to the dealer that needs to be done.
Good luck
Jedi

Also wouldent show on most ACCIDENT reports.When all is said and done the vin# should be posted so no one else may end up with this car. I would NOT accept anything from their lot,(THAY MAY ALLREADY DROPED IT & REPAIRED IT ALSO) If thay kept that accident in house,who would know?Sounds like a shady dealer sleez crap to me.

Hey I missed that… do this now… send photos VIN # and details to CarFax. If Stewart fixes the wreck, (it is no longer your Vette, it is just another wreck), and tries to sell it this could prevent an unsuspecting buyer purchasing a patched up car.

Barnetdh,
One question to ask your self. "What's your goal here?" Is it to get your kick ass Corvette transportation, or are you trying to get back at the bastards who did this to your poor baby. (If it were me I would be ****ed too and ready to take it out on the first dealer employee in ear shot). But the real question is what's your goal. Figure that out and the rest is easy. Trust me with 5300 views to this thread it's a good bet that the damage has been done to the dealer that needs to be done.
Good luck
Jedi

If you really want to continue bashing Stewart call Car Talk and go Nationwide but remember, revenge is a holiday in hell. Get the cash from your insurance company, buy your next Vette and get on with your life.:w

I am off to the Races, wish us luck.:Steer :Steer :Steer

SPANISHVETTS said:

Hey I missed that… do this now… send photos VIN # and details to CarFax. If Stewart fixes the wreck, (it is no longer your Vette, it is just another wreck), and tries to sell it this could prevent an unsuspecting buyer purchasing a patched up car.

If your insurance company pays you off, they will own the car and will likely sell it to a salvage lot. I'm not sure of what the laws are in California but I suspect that with the strength of the consumer protection laws that they will have to issue a salvage title, which will then end up on the Carfax.

I hope we hear good news soon!!!!!

Trying to keep up to date here. I am on a trip and access is difficult but I made it here this morning.

I am still confident we will!

SPANISHVETTS said:

Good idea, SpanishVettes. Will do.

- Dave Barnett

Sunday morning (6/6) I'm headed off to Washington DC, will be back Tuesday night. I won't be back online until Wednesday AM

Stewart's insurance carrier (Century) will be calling me with the estimated cost to repair on Wednesday. I've already told them about the replacement deal that I want.

Both the body shop and Stewart's are pushing hard on the repair route. Stewart's told me that the oil drum they had under the car broke the fall, and then it tipped over and my C5 rolled on it until it came to rest, so the damage is not as bad as I think, and it didn't really fall very far. I wasn't there, and I don't trust these guys about anything.

The body shop says they use the Genesis alignment tool, and can detect any frame problems or other damage, guaranteed. Both the dealer and the body shop are "very surprised" at my lack of cooperation. I talked to the manager of the body shop, and mentioned that I was getting advice from this forum. He did one of those big ho-ho laughs, like that was the funniest joke he had ever heard."I've been in this business for 20 years. Those people don't know anything." Yeah, right. Who should I trust -- a guy who stands to make money off this, or my friends?.

This whole thing just makes me sick.

I think you should settle with the insurance company. Take the cash and let the insurance and dealership attorneys figure it out. It will cost Stewart time and money to deal with the insurance company while you are enjoying time spent looking for a new toy. We pay insurance companies alot of money every month so they can have good attorneys on staff. Why not go ahead and use them. Save yourself the frustration of a legal battle that will also be accompanied by legal fees. I doubt the insurance company can raise your rates for something like this. It probably has to be some type of violation on your part.

barnetdh said:
He did one of those big ho-ho laughs, like that was the funniest joke he had ever heard."I've been in this business for 20 years. Those people don't know anything."

So he's basically saying that his 20 years in the business have trumped the collective experience of everyone here at CAC? :L

Don't listen to that guy. Have you ever tried to straighten a bent fork? Was it "good as new."

-Gööney0

Okay, i didnt read too far into the thread so i don't know if this was already done but i would go straight to the owner of the dealership, request the dealership's insurance information, and threaten to sue. this should get you more respect than you had recieved from them previously. If it doesn't, taking legal action will easily fix your situation. Also, be sure to gather proof that the dealership is wronging you whenever possible-- if you can, contact them through mail or email so you have their misconduct in writing that can be presented to a court.

Dave,

I have posted threads on:

www.glocktalk.com

Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum

www.toyotanation.com

I had to save the pics on my computer because CAC won't let you view pics unless you're a member. The Toyota Nation guys are car junkies like us and I think a lot of them are located in CA so hopefully they'll spread the word. :)

Just curious,but how much does A$$-HOLE AUTO charge for these special 40k check-up's? Do thay also bill for towing to body shop of their choice? How much to destroy a lift(what about lost income that your beloved car has cost)? What about the EPA fine for destroying their hi-tech oil collection/recovery system? Are thay also billing for one or two pairs of special(un-soiled) "mechanics" shorts? Remember Their a part of A$$- HOLE AUTO, I 've had to deal with this kind of crap before. One "machine shop" has been trying to build an engine for me (this started in Jan of 2000).The bone head dosent understand why I will not take tee block and heads after he told me he had NO books on this eng,NO IDEA WHAT TORQUE VALUES he had used . Another fine member of A$$-HOLE AUTO, closely afiliated with F%#KING YOU OVER WITH A SMILE AUTO!!

Options (IMHO),

Assuming the dealership has been there a while, sueing them is something they've done before. And, they have a few pages of "lessons learned" that they will use to their benifit when it comes to a defense. They probably have an attorney on retainer and will be glad to excersize him/her to get their retainer fees put to use. And, ultimatly, they will keep you out of a car for quite some time doing this. The dealerships GM has 100s of cars he can jump into at the drop of a hat and cant understand why you're geting bent out of shape over just one little sports car he probably doesnt even like. This is the source of his lack of interest in making you happy. The bewilderment of the shop guys is probably due to your diplomacy shown by not going ballistic/postal at the whole situation. And, like the GM, they have probably fixed a lot of FUs and got away with them so though this one is exposed, it's just another FU to them.

Play their game against them. Talk $, not car. Tell them what you'll be out by fixing the car. They are supposed to be car value experts. The car was worth one number the day you drove it in and suddenly they threw half that value all over the shop floor. There isnt a reason in the world you should settle for a repaired car without a substantial compensation check. When they say "nobody will be able to tell it has ever been FUd", tell them YOU KNOW they FUd the car and have pictures to prove it. Why should you lose time spent on this, value of the car and have to go through all the aggrevation for something "nobody else will know about"?

If it were me at this point, I would get the two numbers most important right now.

What is your insurance company prepared to give you for the car assuming they are going to total it? Unfortunatly I totaled an '84 a year or so ago and had three or four rounds of negotiating until I got what I was satisfied with for the car.

What is the dealership prepared to give you as a top dollar trade for another car on their lot? Yes, I said their lot, but make sure it's clear you WILL be taking it to a reputable shop to be checked out with a "FINE TOOTH COMB" before accepting title to it. Then AFTER no less than 3 rounds of adjustment towards your favor, write it down in front of both of you. And, dont let them do the "I'll have to ask my manager.." crap. Make sure they recognize this is an exceptional situation that requires the damn manager sit right there with you. Then, add another number for; time lost/spent because of their lack of caution; aggrevation and stress due to their lack of intrest; and future effects of higher car insurance since whether or not the company is currently involved, if you should have an accident, it may be considered in getting the car repaired again.

If things get tough, the tough get going. Tell them that the number they are offering is making your arm feel numb. See if they're smart. If not, tell them next that this whole situation is making your chest feel like someone is sitting on it. By now an intelligent person would KNOW that they better make you happy or you'll call an ambulance to make the point clear. Clear point meaning that next would be a HUGE article in the paper about how a local car dealership gave a man what he THOUGHT was a heart attack due to their accident with his car :)

Dealership GM: "What the h... is the ambulance here for, another shop accident"?
Salesperson:" No,,,the guy that owns the car we wrecked had what may be a heart attack trying to negotiate a trade".
Dealership GM: "Oh S..t, (now thinking of the oppertunities he had to make you happy) tell him he doesnt have to go to the hospital, we have aspirin here. Tell him that will just raise his health insurance premiums."
Salesperson:"I quit,,,"

All joking aside; Weigh these two numbers against each other (insurance sum and dealership sum). Though I'm sure you probably had no intention of selling your ride before, there may be a small chance the dealership can offer you an acceptable number. By the time I got done with my insurance company, I got about top BB value for an '84 with almost 200K on it. Just a matter of being persistant and having the documentation to show the car was cared for. You have lots of leverage in this case. It's just a matter of getting way out on the end of the wrench and putting a good twist on their nut(s) :)

I'll watch the post

Let them know right up front that if the car has to be repaired, that they will not be doing the repairs. They have a vested interest in keeping the repair costs down. If it were me, I would have the car towed out of their shop to a respectable shop that can give you a fair going over.

Where is your insurance company in all of this? :(

I plan on talking to Barnetdh!

I have been in contact with Barnetdh behind the scenes and I plan on giving him a call. I think he will be able to tell me a lot more and I would like to put a voice to him. I want to get to know him as a person so when I call GM and can tell them I know him personally and have spoken to him.

I am so distraught with how a dealership his handling this. This represents what other dealerships would likely do in the same situation. I do not think I would have my car serviced at a Chevy dealership again. Also, I would likely cancel my extended warranty plan as I would have no use for it if I don't let them touch my car. I know of a reputable private shop in my area that I have heard great things about. I may go there.

To not offer Barnetdh an option of a replacement car is totally unreasonable.

I thank everyone for joining in helping Barnetdh get the treatment he deserves. This should not happen to a corvette owner let alone any car owner.

Barnetdh, don't give up! We will stand by you 100 percent. I plan on talking to you in person soon.

Continue to listen to what others say. There are lots of intelligent people here!

Stay strong. I think you will get what you want. It is just gonna take time.

Best regards,

the blackvette

barnetdh said:
Sunday morning (6/6) I'm headed off to Washington DC, will be back Tuesday night. I won't be back online until Wednesday AM

Stewart's insurance carrier (Century) will be calling me with the estimated cost to repair on Wednesday. I've already told them about the replacement deal that I want.

Both the body shop and Stewart's are pushing hard on the repair route. Stewart's told me that the oil drum they had under the car broke the fall, and then it tipped over and my C5 rolled on it until it came to rest, so the damage is not as bad as I think, and it didn't really fall very far. I wasn't there, and I don't trust these guys about anything.

The body shop says they use the Genesis alignment tool, and can detect any frame problems or other damage, guaranteed. Both the dealer and the body shop are "very surprised" at my lack of cooperation. I talked to the manager of the body shop, and mentioned that I was getting advice from this forum. He did one of those big ho-ho laughs, like that was the funniest joke he had ever heard."I've been in this business for 20 years. Those people don't know anything." Yeah, right. Who should I trust -- a guy who stands to make money off this, or my friends?.

Don't forget to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if they don't satisfy you, There are those who actually check with the BBB when looking for a mechanic/dealership.

:mad The more and more I think about this unfortunate occurence, the more it just ****es me off. This dealer and many other dealers/so called auto experts are just looking at us as just another car passing througn the day. And by the response of the individual you are dealing with, he is just looking for a quick fix so he can move on. They are surprised at your lack of cooperation????:eyerole If he was any kind of service minded individual, he would be treading lightly trying to solidify your needs in the best way possible.

Take good notes on a daily basis and when the time comes for the final analysis, get legal advice if possible. We are all behind you here!!!

jpkemp said:
This dealer and many other dealers/so called auto experts are just looking at us as just another car passing througn the day.
Interesting how dealerships take such a casual attitude toward a corvette when they have screwed something up on it. They scoff at how the car is just another vehicle and should be treated as such. However, on the other side of the lot in the sales department you have the salesman displaying a very different attitude. The salesman will tell you how the corvette is not just any car, but an american legend. Pathetic.

G WIZ said:
Interesting how dealerships take such a casual attitude toward a corvette when they have screwed something up on it. They scoff at how the car is just another vehicle and should be treated as such. However, on the other side of the lot in the sales department you have the salesman displaying a very different attitude. The salesman will tell you how the corvette is not just any car, but an american legend. Pathetic.

Yeah, that's sad. It's funny how the attitudes change when the situation is different. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom