Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking in from LS2.com, I hope it all works out for you.

DarkShark78 said:
Think of it this way- you are waging a war against the evils of greedy corner cutting corporate ethics.
Call a higher level in GM. GM does not want a PR disaster on their hands due to the irresponsible nature of a local dealership. You would be surprised at how much interest GM has in their reputation. If they only knew.....
Dark Shark --

Yes, if I were GM, I'd be concerned. I've seen the cross-postings on other car forums, and most of them refer to a "GM dealership". But, I'm not GM, and they don't seem to mind. Okay, fine -- if GM doesn't want to protect their reputation by taking a stand on this, that's their choice. I spoke to Customer Relations early on, and they pretty much blew me off with a canned response:

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We sincerely apologize for the concerns you’ve shared with us regarding the handling of your Corvette at Stewart Automotive.... Liability disputes between dealers and customers must be resolved by the two parties involved. General Motor’s dealerships are independent businesses, and as such, are responsible for the day-to-day operations of their business.

We have notified your dealership of your concerns and are confident that a mutually agreeable resolution can be reached. If you have any further questions, please contact us again and refer to your request number, 1-222298842.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,
Damien Crumbley
Customer Relationship Manager
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center
If people aren't concerned about their reputation, there's not much I can do about it. If GM chooses to wash their hands of this, then I gues we know how they feel about it.

Maybe there is a nagging fear that if they give in to one demand like this, it might happen again.

But, you know, it's not like a car falling off a lift happens every day. When it does, what would it cost to make it right? Stewart's told me this was only the second time in 30 years that this happened to them. So, what would the worst case cost be?

People operate according to their values -- and you'll know their values by their actions. What else do you have to go by?

- Dave

Stewart's offered (in writing) to purchase my C5 for $17,300 if I weren't satisfied with the repairs. I've authorized G & M to begin work, while I continue to check out options.

- Dave

barnetdh said:
Stewart's offered (in writing) to purchase my C5 for $17,300 if I weren't satisfied with the repairs. I've authorized G & M to begin work, while I continue to check out options.
I don't mean to second guess you, especially because this is your car and your deal, but doesn't authorizing repairs limit your options in the first place?

Basically you've agreed to either accept the repaired car or a $17,300 settlement.

You no longer have the option to seek another repair shop and you've pretty much settled the price with the dealer. I don't think their insurance will offer more with that in play and your insurance might well wash their hands of this.

I don't mean to sound doom-and-gloom, but you should be able to get the car declared a total by another body shop with relative ease. . .

That's a far firmer negotiating position, IMO.

But again, it's your deal and really none of my business. . . I wish you the best of luck.

Are you sure you want to do that? You've basically decided your car is only worth $17,300. Letting them work on it basically closes any other options you might have. I'd hardly trust them to go all out to do their best, considering the crap they've been giving you. Considering that someone else posted another ad for a 97 Vette in the neighborhood of $28k, it sounds like you might end up eating over $10k. It's your choice, but are you SURE you want to do this?

barnetdh said:

- Dave

Man, please do not let them start work on your car!!!! If you let them start work you in turn accept their terms to either accept it as fixed or replaced at $17,300.00. If this ever gets to court their lawyer will eat your lunch with this.

Please stop them from working on your car!! It is time for you to hire a lawyer and start the real negotiating. Its time for you to play hardball!!

Look you have a very real chance of making this dealership replace your car with one of equal value or a new one. Talk to a lawyer, there are many more options available to you that none of us can explain to you via this forum. I urge you to please consult a lawyer he or she will know califorina law, prior cases, precidents and the such. You may have a law in your state that makes all of this mute and forces the dealership to do the right thing.

Right now the dealer is counting on you to get impatient and just except what they offer because you either need or just want your car back. Time is on their side, they could care less if they ever hear from you agian, heck they would be perfectly content with pushing it into a corner and covering it up with an old sheet. They will not take you seriously until you retain a lawyer!!!!!!

Man do the right thing for yourself....RETAIN A LAWYER!!!!!!

Trent81

Don't do it and don't forget the bottom line. The dealer bent your car. It will never be the same. $17,300 is laughable as is repairing the car.

Erik S. Klein said:
I don't mean to second guess you, especially because this is your car and your deal, but doesn't authorizing repairs limit your options in the first place?

But again, it's your deal and really none of my business. . . I wish you the best of luck.
Erik -- no, feel free to make your opinion known, no problem. I think I have other options that I can't discuss yet.

- Dave

barnetdh said:
Erik -- no, feel free to make your opinion known, no problem. I think I have other options that I can't discuss yet.

- Dave
I think what has everyone worried is that those other options may no long be valid if you let them start work. I wouldn't agree to let them start on it if it were mine either.

barnetdh said:

- Dave
Dave,
If you authorize them to begin work on your car, your future options are severely limited. Legally, it could be argued that by authorizing them to fix your car, you are accepting their offer to settle, canceling any other option at that point. Basically, then, they've beaten you down and they win! In this given scenario above, if you accept it when finished, they've settled and wiped their hands of you. That car will never be right again, let alone the way it was when you bought it. If your not satisfied, you only get $17,300 for your car. Can you then get another like car for that price? Yeah, I doubt it too. Like everyone else, I admire your patience and decent spirit in dealing with this but it's time to take the gloves off and stand up for yourself and your rights. We're all behind you!

General Motors-Where any Why?

Where is General Motors during this whole thing?

Why doesn't General Motors do something?

Why is it General Motors appears to be only in the business of selling cars and not step in when there clearly is a need to?

Why doesn't General Motors seem to care about the actions of their dealerships?

Why doesn't General Motors intervene in this situation?

Why does General Motors even have a Customer Service department?

Why isn't General Motors insisting on one of their dealerships to replace a customer's car with an equivalent or greater replacement?

Why would General Motors allow a customer to drive a potentially dangerous car following extensive repairs?

Why should I ever bring my car back to a General Motors dealership?

Where is the nearest private Corvette shop near me, General Motors?

theblackvette said:
Where is the nearest private Corvette shop near me, General Motors?
Well, I'd assume that someone living in "Corvetteville" would have lots of options! ;LOL

I've actually got two corvette specialty shops near me. One is literally right across the street from my office. I'm always checking out what's in for service and I love it when they do test drives! :)

E

barnetdh said:
Dark Shark --

Yes, if I were GM, I'd be concerned. I've seen the cross-postings on other car forums, and most of them refer to a "GM dealership". But, I'm not GM, and they don't seem to mind. Okay, fine -- if GM doesn't want to protect their reputation by taking a stand on this, that's their choice. I spoke to Customer Relations early on, and they pretty much blew me off with a canned response:

If people aren't concerned about their reputation, there's not much I can do about it. If GM chooses to wash their hands of this, then I gues we know how they feel about it.

Maybe there is a nagging fear that if they give in to one demand like this, it might happen again.

But, you know, it's not like a car falling off a lift happens every day. When it does, what would it cost to make it right? Stewart's told me this was only the second time in 30 years that this happened to them. So, what would the worst case cost be?

People operate according to their values -- and you'll know their values by their actions. What else do you have to go by?

- Dave
Wow. Sems you did hit a nerve. Not the one you wanted. Guess that means a local TV station would love to hear the story. Maybe they could did up a few more unhappy people that had a similar experience. Maybe they need to be heard. Class action litigation goes a long way to send a message.

You need an attorney. You need the bank (if you have a loan) involved. Your insurance may even want to subrogate. Don't let them touch the car. Tell them to pound sound. You will need to keep all copies of documentation of the incident. Most states have a three year cap on personal injury lawsuits.

You need a hungry lawyer. Think about it- if Grandma gets burned by McDump's coffee, another genious looses fingers when he picks up a lawn mower to trim hedges, and yet another stellar performer can sue a bicycle manufacturer because a car hit him after the reflectors "failed"... then you HAVE A CASE!!! You need proof, a lawyer, and three estimates from an outside adjustor.

Once again...........

I appreciate the enormous support for the rally that was started here on CAC. It is very dissapointing to see that the "right thing" does not appear to have occurred yet. However, this does not mean that it will not occur. At anytime General Motors or its associated dealership can do the "right thing" and demonstrate their dedication to customer service and stand behind their names. Until this occurs, the rally must continue on.

Call me emotional, enthusiastic or whatever. It doesn't matter. What matters is that a customer of a GENERAL MOTORS backed dealership had his corvette severely damaged and what I see going on here is about $$$$ and not customer dedication and respect for other people's property!!!!!! I have my car serviced at a GM dealership. You betcha I am concerned!

The next few posts will be an extension of my Z06 Spy Photo Camera thread that is located in the Z06 General Section of CAC. All are welcome to join in and show your interesting pics of your cars. I know thousands of non-vette owners are viewing this thread and many of us would love to see your ride even it is not a vette. So please come on over! We as car owners must band together! Those that get their cars worked on at any dealership should be concerned. This incident could happen to anyone of us, and could quite possibly happen again. We must make our concerns known!

Well, I decided to take this matter offline and speak my mind. Yesterday, I took a nice drive to my special place I like to go each week. Here is what I saw on my way to my special place!

Pulling into my special place!

I really love how some think that a corvette is "just a car!" What a foolish statement someone could make! If corvettes, let alone any model of car, is "just a car," then why would anyone travel to my special place to show their car and look at others? Yeah, "just a car?" Whatever! You have a lot of learning and growing up to do! Here I go driving to my special place! Looks like a lot of the guys and dolls are already here!!!!!!

Ah-I found a nice parking space!!!!!

Parked right next to a fellow electon blue Z06 and a beautiful C3 vette! Lots of bugs on the way in. All of us had bugs all over our cars.

Wait a second! What are all of those papers doing on my windshield at my special place, aka the weekly cruise-in?????

People who look at my Z06 will surely wonder what is written on those papers!

Lots of people at the cruise-in yesterday. Not just corvettes, but any make or model you can think of was there and many people were looking around!

Gee-Someone is INDEED wondering why all

of these papers are plastered all over my windshield!!!!! I captured this wonderful moment on the Z06 spy cam. He even took one off my windshield so he can read it again later!

You all ask, What can possibly be on his windshield??????

Want a closer view???????

Yeah-I can do that for you!!!!! Oh, do you notice my laminated window sticker and build sheet? Gee-would I just do that if I felt that my Z06 was "just a car?" I think not!

Is this close enough, or shall I get closer? You must be straining your eyes to see what is going on there on my windshield. You say to yourself, "I can't read the writing, but there appears to be pictures of something on the bottom of those papers!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom