Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
barnetdh said:
CubanZ06 -- Still waiting for the frame report. I don't know what the problem is. :confused

Hang in there Dave. It will come and you will prevail.

Just head up to The City, spend a little time on the wharf and take along a Harpoon!

T

I've been reading the posts. Whatever way this goes it's caused everyone lots of pain. Justice is NOT being done here. (sometimes, and many times, it does NOT!)

Being in the same spot, I would call it quits. Don't let this event cause you any health problems.

Move it thru insurance if possible. Fix up the car, keep it or sell it and move on.
Harsh, but possibly a good thing for you at this point.
Best of luck.
-Bill.:argue

smook....you make good points about moving on BUT remember that is what people like Stewarts expect of others.They use stall tactics ,deception and in the end that is how they thrive.I know everyone has to make a living BUT this is NOT A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT.This is what I call "A DEALER"S POOR JUDGEMENT".If I was driving down the road and some poor old man who wasn't paying attention recked my vette I would yell and scream for a while,get the vette fixed and sell it to dealer or wholesaler .....end of story...no big deal...This is a situation where A CLIENT is bringing STEWART"S hard earned money to do maintenance on his beautiful Corvette and ends up having to go through all of this!!!!!....Come on guys .....for what?.....a couple grand????.....I've seen and been a victim of injustice but doing this to a client???....A client with a top of the line vehicle ......How far is Stewart's from Montreal Canada?....:Steer........... :argue .......:bang ......:CRASH

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR.

But, get the insurance to fix the car. Keep it, sell it... move on.

What's the point fighting and fighting. I would like to make the point as well.
It's just that the point is made here and it's time to move on and feel better and get into another car or whatever.

btw How do you get water from a stone?

You don't !!!
I feel we are at a "NO-WIN" situation. Winning on our side now is to move on.

Bill.:eyerole

This reminds me of that old question:

Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy?

It is my experience that a person cannot be both. I remember when my mother in law died. From my point of view as a long time oncology pharmacist, she died as a direct result of some very poor decisions made by her oncologist (different city). I went after him through the Board of Medicine. They eventually ruled in his favor (surprise!). Her family opted not to sue because it would not bring her back, and it would consume the next couple of years of their lives. I think that was a wise decision for them.

I emailed them as well. I do not agree that he does not deserve a brand new car because if they had not destroyed his car he would not NEED to be shopping for a new one. That doesn't mean they will agree. I also would not take one of their cars. Five times in the past we sealed a deal only to find years later that they made up the difference by removing something stock and replacing it with a cheap version, stereo, alarm, tires, etc. You never get a deal from a dealer, they always win.

I do agree that at some point if it affects your health you must give up & settle for damage to their reputation as just consequences. Some people can go for years waiting it out and not be stressed by it, others cannot. You must decide. Take time to grieve your baby and find another to enjoy.

invinceablevett said:
smook....you make good points about moving on BUT remember that is what people like Stewarts expect of others.They use stall tactics ,deception and in the end that is how they thrive.I know everyone has to make a living BUT this is NOT A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT.This is what I call "A DEALER"S POOR JUDGEMENT".If I was driving down the road and some poor old man who wasn't paying attention recked my vette I would yell and scream for a while,get the vette fixed and sell it to dealer or wholesaler .....end of story...no big deal...This is a situation where A CLIENT is bringing STEWART"S hard earned money to do maintenance on his beautiful Corvette and ends up having to go through all of this!!!!!....Come on guys .....for what?.....a couple grand????.....I've seen and been a victim of injustice but doing this to a client???....A client with a top of the line vehicle ......How far is Stewart's from Montreal Canada?....:Steer........... :argue .......:bang ......:CRASH
I think this is somewhat worse than a traffic accident. In the report to OSHA, Stewart's admitted that the locking gears were worn down in the lift my vette was on, and on several other lifts. When equipment is not inspected or maintained, that is not an accident.

- Dave

Contact Carfax with the VIN # and show them this forum and photos. As they say in their reports they rely on others to tell them of damage to the cars when preparing their reports. Then hopefully, another won't unknowingly purchase this car.

CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®
Contact Customer Service
http://www.carfax.com/

Hey Poodle!!!!!

Thanks for taking part in the rally!

All support is appreciated!!!!!!!!!
:beer
Poodle said:
I emailed them as well. I do not agree that he does not deserve a brand new car because if they had not destroyed his car he would not NEED to be shopping for a new one. That doesn't mean they will agree. I also would not take one of their cars. Five times in the past we sealed a deal only to find years later that they made up the difference by removing something stock and replacing it with a cheap version, stereo, alarm, tires, etc. You never get a deal from a dealer, they always win.

I do agree that at some point if it affects your health you must give up & settle for damage to their reputation as just consequences. Some people can go for years waiting it out and not be stressed by it, others cannot. You must decide. Take time to grieve your baby and find another to enjoy.

Poodle said:
Contact Carfax with the VIN # and show them this forum and photos. As they say in their reports they rely on others to tell them of damage to the cars when preparing their reports. Then hopefully, another won't unknowingly purchase this car.

CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®
Contact Customer Service
http://www.carfax.com/
Absolutely. There is no way I would try to sell this car without a full disclosure, including putting the information into Carfax.

-Dave

I didn't mean you, I figured you would if you ended up with it, but in case they patch it and try to pawn it off on some unsuspecting person, you should advise Carfax of this VIN # and it's trauma after you get a new one.

Poodle said:
I didn't mean you, I figured you would if you ended up with it, but in case they patch it and try to pawn it off on some unsuspecting person, you should advise Carfax of this VIN # and it's trauma after you get a new one.
Of course! It's only fair to warn people, especially those buying vettes, of what they are really getting. Not that any dealer we know might think of selling a car that had $11,000 worth of repair as one that's "as good as new" at full price. ;LOL

DRTH VTR said:
This reminds me of that old question:

Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy?
DRTH VTR -

I'd rather be happy, of course. But if I can't be happy, then I may as well try to be right.

Everyone tends to make fun of Stella Liebeck, the woman who sued MacDonalds for getting burned by their coffee. But, an attorney told me to check out the actual case -- it's not what you think. (Here's one example http://www.centerjd.org/free/mythbusters-free/MB_mcdonalds.htm)

At the time, MacDonalds served coffed near the boiling point, under the assumption that this was the proper temperature so that the coffee would still be hot by the time it got to the office. MacDonalds own safety engineers told them not to do this -- way too dangerous.

Stella took the lid off the coffee (she admitted that she shouldn't have done that) and spilled the coffee on her lap. This gave her third degree burns on her groin. She had to be taken to intensive care for several days. She said that because she was partially at fault for opening the coffee in the car, all she wanted was $20,000 to cover her hospitalization -- no damages, just cover her costs. MacDonalds refused, and she took them to court and won nearly $3 million in damages.

I would love to be as successful as Stella in court Not that I want third degree burns on my hootus (ouch), but I really appreciate the justice of it all. All she wanted was to have her hospital stay paid for.

All I want is a replacment C5 of equal value.
-Dave

Another thing they don't tell you about that case. A judge knocked the award down to $640,000, how many years it took to get the money and how much she paid in fees and expenses to get to that point.

I agree that it doesn't appear that she had any choice. And her award was based on the conduct of McDonalds in not taking steps to reduce the coffee temperature, not on how they handled the claim afterwards.

bobchad said:
Another thing they don't tell you about that case. A judge knocked the award down to $640,000, how many years it took to get the money and how much she paid in fees and expenses to get to that point.

I agree that it doesn't appear that she had any choice. And her award was based on the conduct of McDonalds in not taking steps to reduce the coffee temperature, not on how they handled the claim afterwards.
I like the part about 3RD degree burns. LOL! Didn't they use styrofoam cups back then? Damn java would have melted the cup and been perqulating in the cup like a bubbling springs.

Boiling water will not melt a styrofoam cup. Once the external heat source is removed, the boiling stops. After I read that article, I changed my opinion about that case.

I know it stops boiling. I was making the connection with 3RD degree burns. So which direction did your opinion sway?

I thoght that a suit over a coffee burn was frivolous until I heard the details. Now I understand why she sued them, and I don't disagree with her reasons.

Some news from the appraiser

I just heard from the appraiser. He's waiting for a remeasure of the frame from G&M autobody, and a call back from Paul Maltanbano at Stewart's. He got a virus on his PC, and hasn't been able to work. Maybe some news soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom