Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vette_Newb2 said:
Where I live in Texas, the largest dealer in the US (CarMax) is running ads saying that they will "never" sell a car with any kind of frame damage, that says something for the resale value in my opinion. Insuring the car would be very tough as well. It seems like they should bite the bullet and replace your car. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
Hey thanks, Vette_Newb2! I appreciate it. I just want to walk out of this with a car as good as the one I took to the dealer for an oil change.

- Dave

Barnedth.....That's what some of us(most of us) have been saying.You deserve to drive out of that dealer with a vette that is in the exact condition(or better ;) ) your vette was........I really don't think it's too much to ask for considering what GM charges for a new corvette.....Maybe I'll swing by my local dealer and test drive a brand new one.....burn off a set of tires,replace them and we're even right?Good as new right?......I can't consider this as a traffic accident.The sickest part of this is that it happened at a GM dealer....the same place where BEFORE you buy a vette they tell you how rare it is and how collectible,world class performer...they even go so far as using the word" investment" when the salespeople are desperately trying to sell you one......When you pay for the vette it turns into "just another car"......I don't think so Stewart's......YOU MADE A BIG MISTAKE....It might take a while but your sales will drop,your garage won't be needing any additional mechanics soon either....then again I could be wrong.

Roadtrip

My wife and I are driving to San Diego this morning to see our boy off. Luckily he's going to be stationed in Bahrain, which is a least a gazillion miles from Baghdad.

I'll be checking back in Monday.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

-Dave

Dave,

Did you get my email about my wife not being able to get in touch with an attorney in your area.

Mike

barnetdh said:
My wife and I are driving to San Diego this morning to see our boy off. Luckily he's going to be stationed in Bahrain, which is a least a gazillion miles from Baghdad.

-Dave
Bahrian is not a bad duty station except for the heat. A lot of people from Rota get deployed there. There is a good GoKart track close to the base. If you Son ever gets to Rota tell him to call me 956 54 34 44. We will see to it that he has a bit of R&R.:pat

barnetdh said:

-Dave
I heard Bahrain even has a GM dealership

Well Dave, What has GM Executives had to say. Even up here in Canada were paying attention to this story.

I think today may be a makeup holiday since the 4th was on a Sunday. GM offices are probably closed.

[QUOTE='63split]Dave,

Did you get my email about my wife not being able to get in touch with an attorney in your area.

Mike[/QUOTE]Mike -- sorry, I either didn't get it, or just deleted it by accident while stamping out spam.

No problem, though. I'm working with a attorney friend who says she can find a attorney that's good at this.

- Dave

SPANISHVETTS said:
Bahrian is not a bad duty station except for the heat. A lot of people from Rota get deployed there. There is a good GoKart track close to the base. If you Son ever gets to Rota tell him to call me 956 54 34 44. We will see to it that he has a bit of R&R.:pat
Will do, Spanishvetts! Many thanks! :pat
:beer

Edmond said:
I think today may be a makeup holiday since the 4th was on a Sunday. GM offices are probably closed.
Yeah, they said they would call back on Tuesday. I'll call early to find out what's going on.

Let's see -- how many more minutes until they open....

Come on General Motors

I own three GM vehicles. I've been patiently waiting for GM to reply with good news. Come on GM do the right thing and give him a new Corvette. If you do I promise I'll do the right thing and buy more General Motors products.

Still waiting,
Al Hagel

GM brushes me off

I called GM. No luck.

"I don't know what to say. GM is really sorry about this unfortunate incident, but we have no control over the dealer. All we can do is coach and advise. Thank you for writing."

- Dave
:mad

barnetdh said:
I called GM. No luck.

"I don't know what to say. GM is really sorry about this unfortunate incident, but we have no control over the dealer. All we can do is coach and advise. Thank you for writing."

- Dave
:mad
That really sucks; and to think we thought that we had something going here. That GM would make right what their dealer did wrong. Aparently, I was wrong along with many folks on this forum.

This isn't my car and I have absolutely nothing at stake here; but I can honestly say that the &!$$ poor customer service you got first from Stewarts and then the shaft from GM has swayed me from ever buying a non-Corvette GM car ever again. And I refuse to spring for a brand new Vette' so it looks like my 88' is going to be with me forever.

It is unfortunate that the car was damaged while at the dealer. From what I understand the dealer turned it over to their insurance who has apparently offered settlement. It also seems the settlement was not satisfactory to the owner.

Some of what has been stated here seems to involve allegations of negligent behavior, damages not addressed by the dealer's offer, etc.

These sorts of issues are often best run past appropriate counsel, IOW, an attorney with expertise in these situations.

Dave, I just got back from vacation and had hoped there was some positive progress by now. I'm really disapointed with the GM response, it's a shame they don't know that "Customer Loyalty" really means more than just a rebate. But just to show you how much attention your plight is getting, I was at my local tire shop on Saturday to have a slow leak in one of my tires checked and naturally I was a little apprehensive about my baby going up in the air. To my surprise, they waited until the ramp lift was free and about 3 guys guided it on, with the manager watching. I mentioned that I appreciated all the attention for a slow leak and the manager said they didn't need to drop a Vette like the one in CA. I was shocked. So it appears that you've done a public service for the rest of us by going public in at least making some repair centers give our prized posessions a second thought when working on them. Keep the faith.
Ed

I really don't understand what you guys expect GM to do here. There are certain things outlined in the dealer franchise agreement that GM is obligated to do and that the dealer is obligated to do. GM being involved in the daily operations of any dealer is not one of them. This has all been discussed before in this thread. They can contact the dealer and voice their concern (which they have) that the customer be satisfied but they have no authority to force the dealer into making any kind of deal with a customer. If a dealer is really out there committing fraud and screwing and stealing from everyone that comes in the door then GM can revoke their franchise. They are not going to do this over one incident. I'm sure there have been other complaints from other customers about Stewarts over time but show me a dealer of any brand of car that has never had a complaint filed against them. They don't exist. I worked for dealers for many years and I can tell you for a fact that the only complaints that have to be acted on when GM calls is the ones reguarding cars under warranty. That's because GM is still liable for the repair of the car and the dealer is bound to perform the repair properly according to their franchise agreement.

Give GM a break. They have no authority in this. By calling Stewarts and voicing their concern they have done all they can without overstepping their bounds. Dave's beef is with the dealer and that's where this has to be resolved. Period.

Right now all of this is just running in circles. Dave agreed to have the repairs made and when the car is done it's up to him to decide wheather he takes the car back or the $17,500. cash. This is the agreement Dave made. Until the car is done there is nothing else to do. It was stated earlier that the insurance company was looking at about the same $$ for a total as Stewarts were offering so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to chase the frame issue too much futher. Personally I think Dave will make out better if he takes the car back and goes elsewhere and makes his own trade-in deal. As long as there is no Car Fax report made by Stewarts he should have no problem getting a better $$ amount on the trade than the $17,500. I would get back with Stewarts and make sure they are not going to file a Car Fax on the damage.

As far as someone else ending up with this car and having problems with it, the deal on used cars has always been and always will be let the buyer beware. Who knows, the next owner may never have any problem with it. There is no way to say 100% for sure until the car is repaired and driven for awhile.

As for never buying another GM car again that's like saying " The movers dropped my RCA TV out of the moving van and distroyed it and RCA wouldn't replace it. I'll never buy a RCA product again". I've always bought GM and always will. It's time to get real here guys.

Tom

Ed,

That is good news. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many trade publications this has been written up in.

Tom,

I see where you stand and I respect that. I think what we're all saying is that GM should step in and make things better. True, they do not have direct control over Stewarts. However, GM has big pockets and replacing Dave's car with something comparable in value would not break their bank account. I'll bet Mr. Lutz himself could buy Dave a brand new Vette' and it wouldn't cause a dimple in his bank account.

It's about stepping in and going beyond what is expected. Maybe that's too much to ask for these days? But we preach it at work, in our young people, in the military, in everything. And this big, rich giant corporation GM can only write Dave a letter and tell him that they're sorry?

Gm

Although,I know it is no responsibilty of GM's to be concerned with dealer conduct,I do believe that when there is a problem such as this one,it is the responsibilitie of GM,to make sure the dealer is properly handling and distributing their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom