Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know how you can tolerate this kind of abuse! Its like you are living Murphy's Law. With this many delays and small crap my Paxil wouldn't even put a dent in my temper. I think that you deserve to have a new car after this is over.

-Shane

Like our oil changes?... Try our Car Transport services?

corvette_062402_07.jpg

Ahh... I can buff that out!

Piet said:
Like our oil changes?... Try our Car Transport services?

Ahh... I can buff that out!
Oh, man. That hurt, Piet!

On the upside (I hope) I got a call from Executive Offices at GM today. (I wrote to Rick Wagoner and about 10 other execs about all this). I called back, but the woman, Debbie Palmer, had already left for the 3-day weekend. I don't know if I can stand the suspense.

Any bets on what they will say? Will it be "Gosh we're terribly sorry, but hope you'll continue to buy GM in the future." or will it be "We'd like to make this right.."

-Dave

LOL!! I needed that laugh. That should be their new motto! You forgot...it will be good as new too! As my son said they can be good as new with a complete frame off microscopic make over, but they won't pay for that.

I was physically sick for months when someone destroyed my brand new, week old '65 White/Black LeMans years ago by slamming into it while parked. I had saved forever and paid cash. This was after I had bought my first car, a Tempest that was 6 mos. old by VIN and dealer said was new. It was nothing but problems & then one day a few months later I discovered dried blood and a ton of glass under the new carpeting!! Sleazy dealer, I was just a teen! I bought only new ones after that. They fixed the LeMans up but was never the same & slowly rusted away. I can't imagine if anything happened to my first vette baby. I had it in the back of my mind since that one.

I don't know if there is anything new, but know my thoughts are with you in this. Everything happens for a reason, maybe it's to teach all of us something, individually or collectively. Hugs & prayers.

Can't believe they were gonna put that in an open hauler. Front top position is going to get nailed with bugs and rocks.... tree limbs (depending on where its being delivered)

I would have paid the extra for an enclosed carrier..
poor car!

OK, I've read through all pages and I really don't understand.

The great majority of the replies are along the lines that the car is broken beyond repair. Is there any evidence of this? Unless I missed it, the frame analysis is NOT known at this point.

A car falling from 6 ft is not moving nearly as fast as a car that is rear-ended at 30mph. The latter are fixed and put back on the road all of the time. I know because I have one of those cars and 4 years, 60k miles later, it's still fine.

I really wouldn't want to be in your shoes and I understand what is involved when dealing with a wrecked vehicle. IMHO, this IS just like any auto accident. MANY accidents are because of neglect of the at fault driver, whether it be maintenance to his vehicle, neglecting to pay attention while driving, or neglecting the fact that he/she is drunk.

I don't understand how fixing the damage is not "making it right"? I think it is wrong that because something bad happened to you that you feel you deserve more (ie convertable) than you previously had.

Until I see proof that the frame is damaged, I don't see how the car can be totaled out. Although, I do agree that the car should be fixed at another shop and you should never return to that dealership again.

What do people do who are only born with 4 toes do? Who do they sue to "make it right"?

BeaterShark said:

The great majority of the replies are along the lines that the car is broken beyond repair. Is there any evidence of this? Unless I missed it, the frame analysis is NOT known at this point.

A car falling from 6 ft is not moving nearly as fast as a car that is rear-ended at 30mph. The latter are fixed and put back on the road all of the time. I know because I have one of those cars and 4 years, 60k miles later, it's still fine.
There is a difference between a rear-end collision (which a car is sort-of designed to take) and a vertical drop. The car wasn't designed or built to take those kinds of stresses at those angles, etc.

BeaterShark said:
I really wouldn't want to be in your shoes and I understand what is involved when dealing with a wrecked vehicle. IMHO, this IS just like any auto accident. MANY accidents are because of neglect of the at fault driver, whether it be maintenance to his vehicle, neglecting to pay attention while driving, or neglecting the fact that he/she is drunk.
If you can't figure out why this is different than a normal accident then nothing anyone says here will help you.

BeaterShark said:
I don't understand how fixing the damage is not "making it right"? I think it is wrong that because something bad happened to you that you feel you deserve more (ie convertable) than you previously had.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think he's looking for anything but what he drove over to the dealer. A car dropped six feet and repaired just isn't that.

BeaterShark said:
What do people do who are only born with 4 toes do? Who do they sue to "make it right"?
That's a pretty specious analogy, at best. . .

BeaterShark said:

Beatershark -- I wasn't born with 4 toes. I had one chopped off.

As far as making it right, would you buy this car for full retail, knowing it had $11,000 worth of repairs? If you believe it's as good as new, I'd be glad to sell it to you at a substantial discount. How about $26,000? That's a great price for a 1997 coupe with only 40,000 miles. Want it? I'm serious.

One part that is not being made right (and we're ignoring any emotional value for now) is the loss of retail value. Most people won't buy a car that's been in a major wreck, and by law anything over $500 has to be disclosed to the buyer. I have one professional opinion that I have lost $13,000 of resale value because of the dealer's actions. So, even if absolutely everything is repaired perfectly, there is no frame damage, and there's never a problem, I've lost value. If you disagree, I would be delighted to sell it to you.

You mentioned "accident" several times. Remember, that I didn't have this "accident" - if I had wrecked my own car, it would be a different story. If you read the letter to OSHA, you'll note that the cause of the car falling off the lift was worn down locking gears -- which were present not only on the lift my car was on, but also on several other lifts. That does not sound like "accident."

I didn't ask for a new car. I asked for a replacement. I just want what I walked in with.

Right On! Sick 'em Erik ;LOL

Right on! His car was not "born" with this damage and he trusted them to treat it with the exact same respect he has shown. They may insist that attitude is obsessive or vette crazy or whatever but too bad...then they should have said up front "No, we can't work on a Corvette because, unlike you, we think it is just like any other car."

I don't remember Dave ever ASKING for a convertible or such, they mentioned it to him. I have the sense that the rest of us simply felt they should be so horrified at what happened that they would be eager to give him a little something more to make up for the emotional trauma of losing his precious vette, no matter how or why it happened. It was in their care and they, especially, know how we are emotionally attached to our Corvettes. They, of all people, are in a perfect position to make up for it while losing very little, if anything, in the way of profit. They are simply attempting to deflect and minimize blame instead of owning a responsible attitude. Maybe this happens too often for this dealer to be at all moved by the situation.

I suppose if you don't "get" this you're probably not interested in saving the wave either.

I just had to :L at what I just read.

Back to business. Dave, I hope they want to step in and make it right. I would think that's what they're doing. Why else would someone that high up call just to make sure that you'll buy GM in the future?

Edmond said:
I just had to :L at what I just read.

Back to business. Dave, I hope they want to step in and make it right. I would think that's what they're doing. Why else would someone that high up call just to make sure that you'll buy GM in the future?
That's what I'm thinking/hoping. If they were just going to brush me off, why make a phone from the Executive Office of GM? A brush off is easier by letter.

I called Chevrolet Customer Service back, and asked them it they had any information about the complaint I opened up last month. The service rep looked it up, and then got all quiet "It's being handled by the Executive Office..." At least I have their attention at headquarters....
- Dave

Glad to hear that GM top brass is interested, as a retired GM employee I can attest that GM although a lot leaner is still like a Dinosaur, it takes a long time for a bang on the tail to reach the brain. ;LOL Good luck

This is getting good, the suspense is killing me. I check this thread just to follow progress. Although certainly not the General's fault it would be very good PR for them to step in and make right what the dealer is screwing over. Hopefully the dealer gets a real berating from GM too. Keep us posted, and congrats on hitting well over the 100,000 mark! Is that some internet record?
Bruce

b_pappy said:
This is getting good, the suspense is killing me. I check this thread just to follow progress. Although certainly not the General's fault it would be very good PR for them to step in and make right what the dealer is screwing over. Hopefully the dealer gets a real berating from GM too. Keep us posted, and congrats on hitting well over the 100,000 mark! Is that some internet record?
Bruce

That's what we've been trying to say for the last (almost) 800 posts! ;)

Thanks for the update!!!!!!!!

I am STILL hopeful that someone will make it right!

I especially hope that the folks at GM will now step in and resolve this fairly between you and the dealer.

General Motors please demonstrate your commitment to customers that have their cars serviced at dealerships that bear the GM name. Thank you!

barnetdh said:
That's what I'm thinking/hoping. If they were just going to brush me off, why make a phone from the Executive Office of GM? A brush off is easier by letter.

I called Chevrolet Customer Service back, and asked them it they had any information about the complaint I opened up last month. The service rep looked it up, and then got all quiet "It's being handled by the Executive Office..." At least I have their attention at headquarters....
- Dave

Where I live in Texas, the largest dealer in the US (CarMax) is running ads saying that they will "never" sell a car with any kind of frame damage, that says something for the resale value in my opinion. Insuring the car would be very tough as well. It seems like they should bite the bullet and replace your car. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

b_pappy said:
Bruce
Bruce -

The suspense is killing you? Shoot! You should be in my shoes! :L

- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom