Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

die cast are nice but I'd rather build my own

pbcanney

Corvette
1981 383 4 speed 3.55 rear
remember when you were 10 and bought that plastic model car kit and ran home and built it as fast as possible? Mag wheels, jacked up, decals, maybe a blower pokin out of the hood. And if you were really talented, maybe you squirted some Testors Pla on it.... Candy Apple Green, metallic purple...

you still can... prices are as cheap as ever and its a great way to kill a winter, bond with your (grand) kids....

Like most, I dropped the hobby when I got older and started driving, but 10+ years ago, I picked it back up. And Corvettes are ALWAYS a big seller.

So, although I own a couple of die casts, I'd rather build my own thank you. And I recommend everyone do so as well. It's certainly a great way to kill the winter blues.

65coupe004.jpg

68redvert002.jpg

72corvette010.jpg

canney005.jpg

and of course.. there is a whole website devoted to model cars here:

http://canneysgarage.canney.net/index.html

Ahaha, I don't have the time or the patience! I actually got started in diecast collecting through building kits. If you have both, then it is a much better way to go, I will admit.

You did a great job on the models. At this time, I have 46 built Corvette kits in my collection.

You did a great job on the models. At this time, I have 46 built Corvette kits in my collection.

no matter what the 'fad' has been in model cars, there have always been Corvettes!

Question for the professionals

This looks like a good place to ask my question of folks who have some experience. I just bought my first (cheap) amt model. It is a 93' convertible and I'd like to take my time and paint it to match my car. My question: does anyone know where I should buy the paints that will best match my car's colors? I'd like to find something close to the quasar blue exterior and ebony interior. Maybe a website or two? Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Matt

This looks like a good place to ask my question of folks who have some experience. I just bought my first (cheap) amt model. It is a 93' convertible and I'd like to take my time and paint it to match my car. My question: does anyone know where I should buy the paints that will best match my car's colors? I'd like to find something close to the quasar blue exterior and ebony interior. Maybe a website or two? Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Matt

The AMT Corvettes are nice kits. quite accurate and the have the correct "look" when assembled.

The best thing I can suggest, without going out and spending a 1/25th scale fortune on air brushes, custom mixed paint and compressors is to find an automotive paint shop local to you and see if they have a spray can solution.

You can have touch up paint mixed and squeezed into an aerosol can as well.

Maybe GM sells aerosol cans premixed and color matched (I dont know the answer to this)

Even Walmart may have a touch up aerosol can that could be close enough in the automotive section. (be sure to prime the model with automotive spray can primer first)

watch out though, once you build one, you'll want to build another and another and another and next thing you know.....

bb09.jpg

....I'd rather build my own thank you. And I recommend everyone do so as well. It's certainly a great way to kill the winter blues.

Excellent models! Thanks for posting. I have been building models since the '40's :eek :eek

My proudest moment was this cover car back in May, 1995:

DWPWeb3.jpg

ModelI9.jpg

I was proud that I made the mag cover and proud that I predicted that Corvette would win Le Mans, even tho' I jumped the gun by about 4 years! ;)

I still wish the Corvette Race Team used the USA colors :pat ....

......instead of Belgian Racing Yellow. ;shrug

More here: David’s Models :D :D

sounds good but i cant find a 1973 vette in any store.. and the ones on ebay like most things on ebay ..seem over priced .. 100 bucks or more for a plastic model they were five bucks when i was a kid guess i should have kept some

sounds good but i cant find a 1973 vette in any store.. and the ones on ebay like most things on ebay ..seem over priced .. 100 bucks or more for a plastic model they were five bucks when i was a kid guess i should have kept some

73's are pricey because the one year only tooling of the annual kit was modified into the 74, then that into the 75. The 75 convertible was recently available as a reissue because the tooling was not modified into a 76 convertible ('natch)

It is possible to mate a 72 rear to a 75 front to make an 'almost a 73', but you'd have to live with the front bumper discrepencie

I sold a 1/25th 73 coupe for $250. $100 would have been a steal

Here are some available possibilities:

2801.jpg

'73 Coupe

2802.jpg

'73 Convert

More info:
http://www.rndunique.com/rnd_productlist.cfm?pi=4&pc=1

They can make a nice model but resin is a little different to work with. Here is a build I did of a '61 resin body on an AMT '62 chassis:

MyMod10.jpg

David

Here are some available possibilities:

2801.jpg

'73 Coupe

2802.jpg

'73 Convert

More info:
http://www.rndunique.com/rnd_productlist.cfm?pi=4&pc=1

They can make a nice model but resin is a little different to work with. Here is a build I did of a '61 resin body on an AMT '62 chassis:

MyMod10.jpg

David

yeah, I forgot about the resin trans kits. But they're not for the 'I haven't built a model in 20 years' skill level person. Best to find someone to at least prep and paint it for them.

think I'll go order one of those 73's for me. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom