Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dodge already calling out GM for 2008

Have you ever noticed how many low mileage Vipers are on the resale market?
I knew someone who had one. He said it was like wrestling with a bear to drive. He bought it with low miles and resold it with low mileage.
:bash

It’s ironic, If you have a Z-06 or a Viper, you will most likely drive around for years without ever having the chance to even have a stop light drag race with the other car, your competition.

Secondly, even with a “measly” 400 horsepower its tough enough to duplicate the times that cars (such as c5 Z06s) can run under the best of conditions. I cant imagine the results of having 600 in the hands of most of the amateurs out there.

Even if it actually does come to market with 600hp, the SS (or whatever the name will be) should be about 620. Plus, the blown version of the Gen 4 V8 (undoubtedly a variant of the 6.2 LS3) is a more efficient engine than Dodge's V10.

This might become an issue because of fuel economy and CO2 emissions regulation which are no doubt coming and will be more stringent. That is, cars (regardless of power or emissions) which can't meet CAFE, will be a challenge to sell in a market concerned with gas mileage.

Even if it actually does come to market with 600hp, the SS (or whatever the name will be) should be about 620. Plus, the blown version of the Gen 4 V8 (undoubtedly a variant of the 6.2 LS3) is a more efficient engine than Dodge's V10.

This might become an issue because of fuel economy and CO2 emissions regulation which are no doubt coming and will be more stringent. That is, cars (regardless of power or emissions) which can't meet CAFE, will be a challenge to sell in a market concerned with gas mileage.
Not really. The gas mileage is a pride point for Corvette owners, but I don't think many of us buy them for their mileage...

According to the Oct '07 Car and Driver their comparo of the current 505 hp Z06 vs. the 600 hp Viper shows it's still a close call between both. 1/4 mi times have the Viper besting the Z06 11.6 to 11.7. 0-60: Viper 3.5 to the Z06's 3.7 Other tests showed it being close between both cars. The Z06 showed a price tag of $70k vs. the Viper's $86k. I don't think there's going to be any competition from the Viper when the SS, or whatever it's going to be called, is released. Heck, the "stock" Z06 is close enough already and with ideal conditions and a perfect launch it will possibly best the Viper. I have to say though that the Viper is one nasty looking machine and I mean that in a complimentary way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom