Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door outer seal strip

glomonac

Corvette
1987 Red Coupe
The outer seal strips on both doors are shot. When it rains my carpets get soaked. How hard is it to change them?
Thanks,
Guy

Do you mean the soft strip that presses against the OUTSIDE or the INSIDE of the window? Or some other thing entirely?
I had the OUTSIDE strips replaced on mine. Had the dealer do it because I don't have the tools or experience to mess around with door panels, drilling out rivets, etc. The INSIDE strips are screwed in and easier, or so I'm told.

I'm referring to the strip that's outside the window. It looks like I need to remove the window assembly to get to it but I'm not sure.

you dont need to remove the window, just the door panel, when you get that off it will make sense, when you get the new seals they should come with rivets, if not, just take the old one or use a drill bit to get the diameter and get some, you can use screws but rivets work alot better in this situation. Like I said, once you get in there it will make sense, I replaced both sides on the 89 I had and Im not a mechanic by no means.

Pulled both door panels off today. The back 18" is obscured by the window in the down position. There is no way for me to access the entire strip.

How did it look with the window up? I dont remember how I had the windows, it was a long time ago. I do know that I didnt have to take anything off other then the door panels and being real careful with the drill. I'll check the manuals when I leave work to make sure.

Just did my 88, easy fix, with the window down , 2 rivets are at the front, the rest slips into notches.

I don't see how the outer window seal could cause wet carpets. The rain would find the bottom of door and drain out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom