Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Experts!, I have an oiling problem, I think!?

femurphy77

Corvette
1992 Coupe
O.k guys, onto something a little more serious than crossover tubes. I am getting my '92 close to driveable but in the process of adjusting the valves I noticed that it takes way to long for my comfort for oil to reach the valvetrain. I actually dumped a quart of oil over the valvetrain on both sides while waiting for the oil to reach the top end. Is this some new design thing with the LT1 or do I have a legit issue here? Next question would be at what point in the oiling circuit do I look for this problem? The oil pressure as shown on the psi gauge in the dash shows around 65 psi. I'm pretty sure that this is the final nail in the shortblocks coffin but am holding out one last small hope that there is an easy fix. Thanks, Frank, Indy

Don't recall seeing a spec for such timing. How much time is involved in your comfort level?

At one minute I start pouring oil over the valvetrain. It is still another minute or so before I see oil pumping out of the pushrods. FM

mine did the same thing....oil dosent just come squirting out all over the place when you first fire up the motor...i have found it always takes awhile for the valvetrain to get soaked...65psi sounds like great oil pressure and remeber,you are only watching the valvetrain at idle...dosent need a heck of alot of oil up there at idle
just my opinion!

A couple of minutes seems like a little long, but like jenavette said, it is not much oil that comes out of there. Plus it does have quite a ways to go before it gets there, and it does come through the lifters.
You did prime the lifters before installation didn't you?

Yeah the lifters have been prelubed. I don't know maybe I'm just looking for trouble in the wrong places. It just seems that when I did the valve job on the 454 in my truck oil was going everywhere when I fired it up. I need to get the exhaust buttoned up so I can listen as well as watch the valve train. Once it does start pumping through the system it looks like its sufficient for the job. Honestly I'm more in tune with the brand "X" stuff having just recently seen the bowtie light! Thanks. FM

P.S. Nick, having lived about 80 miles south of you for the biggest part of my adult life a little warning. If anybody offers you a job in Indiana, RUN from the room as fast as you can.:ugh

femurphy77 said:
P.S. Nick, having lived about 80 miles south of you for the biggest part of my adult life a little warning. If anybody offers you a job in Indiana, RUN from the room as fast as you can.:ugh

;LOL;LOL;LOL

I do have a buddy that lives in Crown Point now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom